• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worldwide's Raw Books

72 posts in this topic

...I think their grading is pretty tight,...you would have to assume that almost any book of real value has been pressed,...what I can't understand is why they charge state tax???,...I dont live in their state,..by law I shouldn't have to pay sales tax.

Don't we usually call that a "miswrap", or more specifically to your example, an angled miswrap? The difference is in whether the paper fed through the press a bit crooked (miswrap) versus the slicers are at a subtle angle when cutting through the paper (miscut). Not that I don't see people describing miswraps as miscuts, but if you do that, it's difficult to differentiate wrap problems from the parallelograms/trapezoids the original poster is describing.

I see lots of miswrapped CGC 9.8s, but I personally have never seen a miscut one.

I see lots of miswrapped CGC 9.8s, but I personally have never seen a miscut one.

CGC graders call them all miscuts, although some people differentiate between a miscut and a miswrap (I do).

(thumbs u

CGC graders call them all miscuts, although some people differentiate between a miscut and a miswrap (I do).

(thumbs u

So what do they call the angled edges--miscuts as well? :eek:

(thumbs u

So what do they call the angled edges--miscuts as well? :eek:

Can't remember. I just remember reading a quote by Borock where he said miscuts and miswraps were the same thing.

Really doesn't matter about the terminology as we all understand what we're talking about when you can see a scan of the book.

Really doesn't matter about the terminology as we all understand what we're talking about when you can see a scan of the book.

Language almost always matters--I thought Foolkiller was going to post a pic of the first parallelogram in a CGC 9.8 container I had ever seen, but nah, just another miswrap. Miscut is an accurate description, it just doesn't differentiate itself from angled edges enough when used to describe a bad wrap.

...I think their grading is pretty tight,...you would have to assume that almost any book of real value has been pressed,...what I can't understand is why they charge state tax???,...I dont live in their state,..by law I shouldn't have to pay sales tax.
Not according to Texas law.

Language almost always matters--I thought Foolkiller was going to post a pic of the first parallelogram in a CGC 9.8 container I had ever seen, but nah, just another miswrap. Miscut is an accurate description, it just doesn't differentiate itself from angled edges enough when used to describe a bad wrap.

I agree, Language matters but a pic is worth a 1000 words so in this case the pic does the job.

His pic was likely in response to my post about how CGC deducts for miswraps.

I think Brian was trying to show how bad a miswrap can actually be in 9.8 grade.

My point was that the book is not a 9.9 or a 10.0 with that miswrap and so CGC does indeed deduct (or limit the grade) for miswraps, just not as much as some people would like them to.

Agreed, there is a big difference between miswrap and miscut and I'm surprised CGC would not differentiate between the two.

I for one am glad they don't take miswraps into account in the grade. I can readily see the extent of a miswrap from even a small scan and decide for myself if I'm willing to live with it. If they took it into account in the grade, you'd have to guess how much a 9.4 got downgraded for miswrap vs structural problems. Especially given the wide spectrum of possible miswraps.

So has anyone seen a 9.8 with an angle-cut edge? I haven't to date.

What do you mean by an angled cut edge?

Like on an ASM #45 or DD #7 where the right edge is not perpendicular to the top and bottom edges?

Look at the right edge of this book. Ignore the left spine and miswrap completely other than to verify that the book is straightly aligned with the left edge of the slab and not crooked, sorry if the slight miswrap distracts you from the angle-cut right edge. :blush: The top of the book is wider than the bottom, that's the miscut I and I believe the original poster are referring to; the book is a trapezoid. Spidey 25 almost always has the bottom being narrower than the top.

Spidey25.jpg

Look at the right edge of this book. Ignore the left spine and miswrap completely other than to verify that the book is straightly aligned with the left edge of the slab and not crooked, sorry if the slight miswrap distracts you from the angle-cut right edge. :blush: The top of the book is wider than the bottom, that's the miscut I and I believe the original poster are referring to; the book is a trapezoid. Spidey 25 almost always has the bottom being narrower than the top.

That's what I thought you meant.

I've seen trapezoidal 9.8's, just never focused on the right edge much.

My thought is easy Roy. If after pressing, grading, etc. They make 40 bucks or more profit, then yes. For CA I would guess pre screen. So the books are likely rejects or not worth the overhead.

Are you saying that every book at WW has been pressed? I dont recall seeing anything about that on their website..what's up with that?

My thought is easy Roy. If after pressing, grading, etc. They make 40 bucks or more profit, then yes. For CA I would guess pre screen. So the books are likely rejects or not worth the overhead.

Are you saying that every book at WW has been pressed? I dont recall seeing anything about that on their website..what's up with that?

No, every book is not pressed.

No, every book is not pressed.

Most?