• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBCA Sponsors Scientific Testing on the Effects of Pressing

229 posts in this topic

The person who pressed them did a fantastic job. This person knew the books would be sent in for testing. This person also supplied the exact process that was used to press the samples. It was very nice of the presser to participate in this experiment.

Ah, this certainly narrows down the field of candidates.

It's not a very broad field to begin with. :)

The person who pressed them did a fantastic job. This person knew the books would be sent in for testing. This person also supplied the exact process that was used to press the samples. It was very nice of the presser to participate in this experiment.

Ah, this certainly narrows down the field of candidates.

It's not a very broad field to begin with. :)

Of course it isn't when you use terms such as:

1) fantastic job

2) supplied the exact process

3) nice... presser

This is where I stalled. There were just too many factors to take into consideration when I did this independently of the NOD (prior to CBCA). It was simply too expensive for me to continue in the direction necessary to get valid results.

I applaud CBCA for taking this step though and hope that it leads to more testing. (thumbs u

Same here, Gary. That's why I introduced the idea to the CBCA.

That's right. Although the idea has been around for some time conceptually, it was Mike's initiative and drive that made this happen for real. He spearheaded this and got it done.

This is where I stalled. There were just too many factors to take into consideration when I did this independently of the NOD (prior to CBCA). It was simply too expensive for me to continue in the direction necessary to get valid results.

I applaud CBCA for taking this step though and hope that it leads to more testing. (thumbs u

Same here, Gary. That's why I introduced the idea to the CBCA.

That's right. Although the idea has been around for some time conceptually, it was Mike's initiative and drive that made this happen for real. He spearheaded this and got it done.

It was a team effort, Jeff. I'm not one for fancy words. BTW, Jeff donated the books too. :)

Nobody will be reading the process.

not very scientific then is it.

lol I should have said, nobody but the scientists.

what about amateur scientists in the audience?

I got a kiddie-chemistry set for festivus, so I'd like to put it to good use. :wishluck:

Nobody will be reading the process.

not very scientific then is it.

lol I should have said, nobody but the scientists.

what about amateur scientists in the audience?

I got a kiddie-chemistry set for festivus, so I'd like to put it to good use. :wishluck:

:sorry:

Based on what Theagenes told me, to do the tests with 20 tests per test category and three different test being performed, the cost of my experiment is approximately $50,000. This includes doing the test again in 10 years. Each adjustment in a variable would cost another $50,000. Removing the time effects would cut the cost in half.

You could reduce the number of tests per category, however, this would significantly reduce the reliability of the results.

Admittedly, this wasn't an initiative that I had any involvement in as pressing is (in my mind) much more the high grade collector's concern... and I'm not really a HG collector.

For what it's worth though, I think it's an interesting experiment. As has been stated before, there is no intention on the CBCA's part to come out and make any definitive statements. And while I am certainly no scientist or mathematician, I would like to think that getting the ball rolling in a productive manner seems like it would be a good thing. It seems like Cheetah has some really good, well-defined ideas on how to move forward in the next step of this process to help find some even more reliable data on which more definitive conclusions could be based. Awesome. I just think this is a much better direction for the comic collecting community to be moving in--coming up with some tangible results (good or bad, sound or shaky) and using them to move forward into even better experiments and ideas.

After all, you can't make an omlet unless you break a few eggs!

Based on what Theagenes told me, to do the tests with 20 tests per test category and three different test being performed, the cost of my experiment is approximately $50,000. This includes doing the test again in 10 years. Each adjustment in a variable would cost another $50,000. Removing the time effects would cut the cost in half.

You could reduce the number of tests per category, however, this would significantly reduce the reliability of the results.

That's a lot of money.

BTW cheetah, Thank you very much for your imput. It is greatly appreciated.

No problem. It is very seldom that my hobby and my real life have much potential for interaction. I've been a science geek since I was 8.

JUst some random thoughts:

One possible alternative to waiting 10 years is to artificially age the paper in those samples by baking it under controlled parameters. This is a technique that has a good deal of research behind it.

One advantage to using something like a warehouse find where you can be assured that the books were in the same storage conditions is that it eliminates the need to cut the book into pieces. That would leave more material available for the tests.

I really want to try again with the fold test. The problem this time was that the paper was breaking in the machine when tension was applied before the test could begin. There has to be a way to work around that.

One possible alternative to waiting 10 years is to artificially age the paper in those samples by baking it under controlled parameters. This is a technique that has a good deal of research behind it.

Are you saying that baking the paper is the same as aging it?

Are you saying that baking the paper is the same as aging it?

No, that it approximates it. Nobody will conduct this test over a 10-20 year time period.