• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the history behind Marvel Giant Size books??

14 posts in this topic

So what is the deal with these Giant Size books? Where do they fall within an actual series - did they come out at the end of the year after the 12th issue? Before the Annual issue? Which ones are the most desirable (aside from the Giant Size Spidey 4 that I grabbed last night smile.gif...

Ok, here's the deal. Back when I was a kid, Marvel had a bunch of these books coming out. They cost a bit more money and for that you recieved extra stories. most of them reprints from the archives, but extra stories were included. The books were assembled and stapled, then the covers were glued to the spine.

This is why the books are now a big deal. Heating was involved. Spines rippled, bent, creased, tore, chipped, etc. The idea was good,but the printing process created VG copies at the factory. When you see these books in high grade, they are rare. You will see a bunch of clowns calling these books NM, but if they have any of those traits, they are not NM.Try and find them in top shape and when you do, enjoy them.

Shouldn't that be GS Kid Colt? And I agree, along with Marvel Triple Action, it is difficult to find issues in true HG. Not so with the other titles though in my experience contrary to what Overstreet says.

The GS comics were produced quarterly and (at least when they started) some contained stories that related to the ongoing series. Avengers are a good example. You can't read the Kang/Immortus storyline without GS Avengers 2-4. Other than X-Men #1, Super-Villain Team-Up, and Invaders most titles lasting less than 3 issues had reprint only material. Near the end of their run, most all issues were reprint only.

The GS series has many notable issues that collectors of Bronze find desirable.

Avengers 1 - Curious as it causes all kinds of continuity problems as it was revealed that the Whizzer was Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's father. Since changed to Magneto.

Avengers 2-4 are key to anyone wanting a run of the ongoing title.

X-Men #1 - For obvious reasons.

FF 2-4 - Really good stories including the introduction of Matrox in #4 (I know no one else probably cares but I liked this comic alot when I read it as a kid).

Dracula #5 - First Byrne at Marvel in a B/W story probably done originally for one of the Marvel magazines.

Spider-Man #4 - Early Punisher appearance. I don't hold this comics as desirable as other collectors but I'm not the greatest fan of the character either.

Invaders #1 and Super-Villain Team-Up #1-2 - Introduction to regular ongoing titles.

Super-Heroes #1 - Morbius/Man-Wolf/Spidey slug-fest with great art by Gil Kane.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of the Giant Sized issues. grin.gif

Jim

I just won a CGC 9.6 Giant Size Super Stars #1 for $158 (yes, I know I probably paid way too much, but I'm a sucker for those Hulk vs. Thing battles) and I also just won an unslabbed "NM" Giant Size Super Heroes 1 for $36.

Love those Giant Size books!!!! Looking for more...