• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Notorious crimes involving comics? Tell me some tales please.

65 posts in this topic

With the extraordinary dollar amounts & values of some comics & collections, there must be a fair amount of crimes, scandals & sordid tales that you can tell me.

Whether it's the comics version of The Brinks Job or a comparatively small time rip off that you've heard about ( or even experienced, though I hope not ) through the grape vine. I'd like to hear the juicy details.

So, if you've got the time, I've got the ear ( well, eyes actually, but you get the idea ).

* cue the clinking sound of liquor filled glasses, low background conversation

& the image of a smoke filled barroom... *

The Washington DC area repairman who stole many of Davis Crippin's books and sold them to Fischler/Metropolis. (disclaimer - I don't believe for an instant that Fischler knew the books had been stolen).

Victor Fox.

The "work for hire" rule that robbed creators and their families of literally millions of dollars.

Charlton Comics' (reputed but generally accepted as fact) ties to organized crime.

The (reputed but generally accepted as fact) ties to organized crime with remaindered/returned comics throughout the 1960s-70s. (Subsequently, some of those books were purchased by Chuck Rozanski and became the cornerstone of his Mile High II books). I'm actually giving Chuck a pass on his earlier find.

Ewert and "micro-trimming". (Ancillary note: some allege mere pressing to be unethical - though most agree that "micro-trimming" takes manipulation to a whole other level).

Daniel Dupcak/Hammer/Robojo33

Terrance Leder and CGG/PGA/PGX.

The alleged narcotics dealer (Aaron Castro) who blew his illicit gains on his comic book obsession.

The lurid fascination with the Green River books.

And for "crimes against nature", the lurid but fascinating story behind the Curator books.

Oh, I forgot some personal comic crime stories.

I once traded a kid a Giant-Size Avengers 1 for his Giant-Size Avengers 7. Straight up. And once, when I was 12, I got caught stealing 3 comic books from a spinner rack in a Rexall drugstore. I had to MANNUP and apologize. My parents made me pay with my allowance. And then held my next several weeks' allowance.

Oh yeah, I'm a wee bit familiar with the case in Medina, NY as it's in my neck of the woods, just about 15 or twenty miles east of here in North Tonawanda where I live.

It made some local press, but oddly enough not a WHOLE lot considering the offbeat nature of the crime.

Though I can't recall the exact circumstances of what led up to the crime.

Didn't one or more of the creeps from Rochester make it a point to befriend the victim in order to better scope out the haul?

I don't remember how much the thieves got away with, maybe it was the entire thing. But, I DO recall a series of articles in the local papers last year about being on the lookout for anyone attempting to sell large lots of top quality key collector's issues. Who knows? Perhaps they were even successful in leading the authorities to the suspects now in custody facing charges.

Wasn't there a collection built by someone who worked for the US tax guys using

'borrowed' tax money?

http://moocowcomics.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_archive.html

story is right after the Larson story. I used to live in Denver around that time and Aran worked at the local comic book store on Colfax. Very strange and creepy hippie looking guy. Didn't appear to bathe and didn't smell like it either. When I would walk in the door he would always say "How may I hinder you?".

Wasn't there a collection built by someone who worked for the US tax guys using

'borrowed' tax money?

http://moocowcomics.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_archive.html

story is right after the Larson story. I used to live in Denver around that time and Aran worked at the local comic book store on Colfax. Very strange and creepy hippie looking guy. Didn't appear to bathe and didn't smell like it either. When I would walk in the door he would always say "How may I hinder you?".

Thanks for the link.

We probably shouldn't forget Doug's (PedigreeComics) stealing client money to build his collection which resulted in him being disbarred.

How could I have forgotten to list that one? Doug Schmell lists on the Boards as Captain Tripps. :tonofbricks:

Here's the NY court summary that cited the heinous act. He was disbarred.

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/3dseries/2006/2006_00326.htm

Not really a crime per say but the notorious outlaw biker club The Pagans' club patch depicts a the Norse Surtur seated with a flaming sword.

This same image is taken from a panel I've first seen it in Tales of Asgard #1, it was of course drawn by Jack "The King" Kirby.

pagan.jpg

Maybe the Pagans didn't want to run afoul of copyright infringement, that's why the letters "M C" are below the image.

Or maybe not. :insane:

I also like their (perhaps I should say "they're") inappropriate use of the apostrophe.

Here's a news report about an English comic book shop owner.

He was based in a town not that far from where I live, and I visited the store a couple of times and met the guy in person.

Had a very laid-back attitude, seemingly not a care in the world. In retrospect that feels quite chilling, believe me. :(

http://menmedia.co.uk/tamesideadvertiser/news/s/1024327_brutal_killer_in_our_midst

The Washington DC area repairman who stole many of Davis Crippin's books and sold them to Fischler/Metropolis. (disclaimer - I don't believe for an instant that Fischler knew the books had been stolen).

Victor Fox.

The "work for hire" rule that robbed creators and their families of literally millions of dollars.

Charlton Comics' (reputed but generally accepted as fact) ties to organized crime.

The (reputed but generally accepted as fact) ties to organized crime with remaindered/returned comics throughout the 1960s-70s. (Subsequently, some of those books were purchased by Chuck Rozanski and became the cornerstone of his Mile High II books). I'm actually giving Chuck a pass on his earlier find.

Ewert and "micro-trimming". (Ancillary note: some allege mere pressing to be unethical - though most agree that "micro-trimming" takes manipulation to a whole other level).

Daniel Dupcak/Hammer/Robojo33

Ryan Elliott and CGG/PGA/PGX.

Terence Leders name drug throught the mud as a cover for the illegal fraud of pgx/pga/cgg

The alleged narcotics dealer (Aaron Castro) who blew his illicit gains on his comic book obsession.

The lurid fascination with the Green River books.

And for "crimes against nature", the lurid but fascinating story behind the Curator books.

Oh, I forgot some personal comic crime stories.

I once traded a kid a Giant-Size Avengers 1 for his Giant-Size Avengers 7. Straight up. And once, when I was 12, I got caught stealing 3 comic books from a spinner rack in a Rexall drugstore. I had to MANNUP and apologize. My parents made me pay with my allowance. And then held my next several weeks' allowance.

Fixed that for you