• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JUST ATLAS Westerns, Millie, PRE HERO SLABS, Horror & Mystery DISCOUNTS

180 posts in this topic

I have seen and owned a lot of Atlas books and never seen that stamp before.

Mike

Since he mentioned it, it does look like it was printed on there. Never really considered it before.

It doesn't show on the scans on the Atlas Tales website. It must be a stamp, although it is pretty fine printing.

I don't think that's a stamp - you'll never find a stamp like that in the period. What it looks to me is that it's from a typewriter, which is more in line with the finer markings and the way that it oriented - would fit nicely length-wise but not vertically.

A typical manual type-writer would deeply indent/emboss the letters into the paper unless the person were being super, super careful. I can't recall seeing anything like this, Atlas or otherwise.

Plus, might be hard to get a comic in a type writer without destroying it....

Not the whole comic but just the cover. I would say that after 50-60 years stacked you can probably lose the embossing and if it's just the cover, you probably won't get any indentation/embossing since the hammer impact would be on the hard roller. Believe it or not, typewriters didn't leave holes or damage the paper in the olden days. :preach:

I have seen and owned a lot of Atlas books and never seen that stamp before.

Mike

Since he mentioned it, it does look like it was printed on there. Never really considered it before.

It doesn't show on the scans on the Atlas Tales website. It must be a stamp, although it is pretty fine printing.

I don't think that's a stamp - you'll never find a stamp like that in the period. What it looks to me is that it's from a typewriter, which is more in line with the finer markings and the way that it oriented - would fit nicely length-wise but not vertically.

A typical manual type-writer would deeply indent/emboss the letters into the paper unless the person were being super, super careful. I can't recall seeing anything like this, Atlas or otherwise.

Plus, might be hard to get a comic in a type writer without destroying it....

Not the whole comic but just the cover. I would say that after 50-60 years stacked you can probably lose the embossing and if it's just the cover, you probably won't get any indentation/embossing since the hammer impact would be on the hard roller. Believe it or not, typewriters didn't leave holes or damage the paper in the olden days. :preach:

Probably a two-man operation as someone would have to hold the comic while the other rolled it in and typed. I can't really see why anyone would do this??????