• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most ridiculous buy of the century?

77 posts in this topic

All I can say is that the buyer better assess his buying habits. He's no Geppi but he's bidding like he has unlimited funds. confused.gif

Maybe the buyer's a multi-millionaire, in which case the purchases are like small change. No problem with multi-millionaires collecting comics, just that there's no hope when they end up bidding on/and sniping many items that you want, including duplicates! However, that's the name of the game I guess, and good luck to the buyer, thumbsup2.gif but please, please leave some pickings for me...(where's the symbol for begging!).

He's not a multi-millionaire. It appears that he was able to sell his "Vancouver collection". He was asking about $500K for it and probably sold it for less. He may be able to purchase these books now but what happens if he gets into financial trouble in his business?

He may be able to purchase these books now but what happens if he gets into financial trouble in his business?

Well, he could always sell me all those lovely horror magazines at a discounted price! acclaim.gif

gossip.gif

There goes another nine grand, how long will that 500K last? Has anyone noticed if any of his purchases this year have come up for sale?

I liked this movie better the first time I saw it, when it was called "Brewster's Millions". tongue.gif

Maybe the buyer's a multi-millionaire, in which case the purchases are like small change.

So, if he was a multi-millionaire, heck, if he was Bill Gates, does that mean he's incapable of making a stupid purchase? If Bill Gates pays a million bucks for a Hostess Ding-Dong that I can buy 2 for 89 cents, does that make it OK? Would your answer change if Larry Ellison was willing to pay $950,000? confused-smiley-013.gif

Everybody has become so nauseatingly politically correct on the Boards that I think many would agree that the past few weeks have been among the most boring in the history of the CGC Forum. Everyone's so afraid of stepping on someone else's toes that all we get are boring threads about bland topics that have been hashed and rehashed to death, as well as a litany of off-topic posts where nobody's collecting habits can come under scrutiny. Heaven forbid that one should make a value judgment like "that purchase is freaking stupidly insane" without the moral relativism police coming out with guns a'blazing... sign-rantpost.gif

Alas, there are very few interesting topics that haven't been served up as leftover hash at least twice. But then again, what's old is new again to new/recent posters, right? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think many would agree that the "Golden Age" of the boards ended with the passing of Bugaboo and hammer... 893whatthe.gif

I think many would agree that the "Golden Age" of the boards ended with the passing of Bugaboo and hammer... 893whatthe.gif

Yes...we need some fresh blood to enter the Boards and kick things up a notch...the "Showcase #4" of posters to lead the Forum into its Silver Age! It could come in the form of a new poster or perhaps a former or existing poster reinventing him or herself...right now I feel like we're languishing in the post-Wertham era that preceded the SA. 893blahblah.gif

Maybe we should petition Arch to allow Hammer and Bug back on? confused-smiley-013.gif That would spice things back up.

Yes...we need some fresh blood to enter the Boards and kick things up a notch...the "Showcase #4" of posters to lead the Forum into its Silver Age! It could come in the form of a new poster or perhaps a former or existing poster reinventing him or herself...right now I feel like we're languishing in the post-Wertham era that preceded the SA. 893blahblah.gif

Maybe we should petition Arch to allow Hammer and Bug back on? confused-smiley-013.gif That would spice things back up.

I think the lesson here is...don't venture "up there" into the nether regions known only as "The Water Cooler!" 27_laughing.gif

Actually, I reckon their passing simply coincided with exhausting the more interesting topics. It's kind of like when sitcoms "jump the shark" after playing out all the inherently interesting/funny plotlines, or when new/exciting/different bands release their 3rd, 4th, 5th albums and what was once new and exciting is now old hat. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yea, just what we need - another a-hole poster to come on here to try and stir things up. Just like you to criticize everyone else since you're soooo superior to us. Maybe you could post some more stories about your lavish trips to Europe, your supermodel girlfriends, or how wonderful your life is. [!@#%^&^] off and die! mad.gif

Yea, just what we need - another a-hole poster to come on here to try and stir things up. Just like you to criticize everyone else since you're soooo superior to us. Maybe you could post some more stories about your lavish trips to Europe, your supermodel girlfriends, or how wonderful your life is. [!@#%^&^] off and die! mad.gif

popcorn.gif

Bonds25, I think you're repressing too much emotion - let it all come out.

Now that's what's I'm talking about! Come on, let it all out...and when you're done, go start another thread about your collection! tongue.gif

So, if he was a multi-millionaire, heck, if he was Bill Gates, does that mean he's incapable of making a stupid purchase? If Bill Gates pays a million bucks for a Hostess Ding-Dong that I can buy 2 for 89 cents, does that make it OK? Would your answer change if Larry Ellison was willing to pay $950,000?

Hey, I didn't say the purchase wasn't stupid, I only said the price was like small change, which it is to a multi-millionaire. At the end of the day, if Gates or Ellison wanted to buy the comic in question, then they would pay whatever they wanted, even if it is just because they can. In any case, CGC has created a certain amount of stupidity in the market, of which I sometimes fall victim myself.

Everybody has become so nauseatingly politically correct on the Boards that I think many would agree that the past few weeks have been among the most boring in the history of the CGC Forum. Everyone's so afraid of stepping on someone else's toes that all we get are boring threads about bland topics that have been hashed and rehashed to death, as well as a litany of off-topic posts where nobody's collecting habits can come under scrutiny.

Don't take things so seriously man! Let's face it, you're taking part in this 'boring' thread about someone's collecting habits, and you're not making it any less boring. It's only a bit of lighthearted fun and gossip, after all. However, since you've brought up the subject of political correctness, would it be politically incorrect if I were to say 'lighten up, @$$#0le!