• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help grading a Walking Dead 1 (Update: bought it)

15 posts in this topic

I might have the opportunity to buy a raw Walking Dead 1 first print today for $300.

I did a brief inspection of the comic before, and I plan to do a closer one today. My initial inspection did not notice any spin ticks or stress marks, the corners were sharp and the cover was glossy.

So when I return I'd just like some advice as to what to look for, and perhaps what types of things make a difference between a 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

I intend to send it to CGC.

THANKS!

So when I return I'd just like some advice as to what to look for, and perhaps what types of things make a difference between a 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

Defects.

Stress marks, impressions on the front and back cover from reading the book, and corner wear.

My 9.8 has a slight lower left wrinkle in the cover, 2 slight none color breaking creases on the spine front cover. These seam to be from manufacturing the book.

Look at the rear also, not just the front. The rear on my book is flawless.

I did the pre grade myself bfore sending it to CGC.

You could buy an Official Overstreet Grading Guide for no more than $30. It will illustrate exactly what to look for. But if this is the only book you'll ever want graded, probably not a good idea.

I'll definately pick one up. Even for common readers off the shelf I almost have OCD when it comes to condition. Even brand new releases will often have bend marks on the spine (be it minor, or major ones). If an on-the-shelf comic one little mark on the spine I decline to buy it.

Anyone else that way?

OK, so I went ahead and bought it. After close inspection here's a list of the defects I found.

- 3 very tiny crease marks on the spine that you can only see in the reflection of the light. They don't even come close to breaking color.

- The corners on left side (where all the binding is) aren't perfectly square. To me it looks like it was just cut that way, but plausibly they could be minor contact marks. The dealer says he took it home brand new from his store and never read it. It was from his personal collection - though obviously I can't confirm if that's true.

Looking at the front and back covers at every angle in the light, I could not find any finger prints or stress marks in the paper. The color is rich and vibrant and the pages white.

Though I'm a layman I think $300 was a fair price. CGC 9.4 examples are selling for high 300's on Ebay.

If you've bought it with the intention to slab it and sell it, it sounds like it would benefit from a press prior to slabbing. Scans would be helpful to assess the grade though.

If you've bought it with the intention to slab it and sell it, it sounds like it would benefit from a press prior to slabbing. Scans would be helpful to assess the grade though.

More like slab it and keep it. Pressing comics doesn't sound like a good idea, much like cleaning coins.

More like slab it and keep it. Pressing comics doesn't sound like a good idea, much like cleaning coins.

Pressing is the comic equivalent of dipping in coins. It's market acceptable, but there are issues.

You could buy an Official Overstreet Grading Guide for no more than $30. It will illustrate exactly what to look for. But if this is the only book you'll ever want graded, probably not a good idea.

I'll definately pick one up. Even for common readers off the shelf I almost have OCD when it comes to condition. Even brand new releases will often have bend marks on the spine (be it minor, or major ones). If an on-the-shelf comic one little mark on the spine I decline to buy it.

Anyone else that way?

I am that way, all 9.8+ for me, except my Witchblade Diamond Reatailer Variant @ 9.4.

Anyone else that way?

100%

Though I don't buy new books.

Anymore.

If you're looking to keep it just put it in a Mylar with a full back. And I didn't say pressing was a good idea, it's just a way to maximise your return out of a book when selling. It happens a lot around here.

Anyone else that way?

I have no idea what you're talking about...

:whistle:

word

sound like you go the 9.4 raw

I would go to a show where CGC witnesses a signature series for you then get it graded. Like signed by Robert Kirkman.

Otherwise be sure to join the collector's society and get some tasties graded like 10 issues in different grades and build yourself a grading set. If you PM me your address I will send you the most relevant parts of the Official Overstreet's Comic Book Grading Guide 3rd edition.

Does anyone have boxes of the SECOND edition they want to send me?