• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rat chewed GA cover leafcasted, a photo journey.

92 posts in this topic

Actually, part of me wishes restored books were left raw. Too hard to really judge what was done with the book in a slab. Notes and apparent grades don't always tell the story.

People should be allowed to flip through a restored book to decide what they think of the work done.

That said, I totally can understand/appreciate the need to slab them for a myriad of reasons.

And fwiw, here are the before/after scans in one post for comparison.

Book before old resto was removed.

d2cbbc5a.jpg

After removal and leaf casting.

castedfcbedforect.jpg

And here is Walters scan brightened to better represent how the book looks in hand.

1629146f.jpg

Congrats Walter, I am thrilled it came back 7.0 for you. Wasn't Matts initial estimate 5.0-6.0?

So much old resto, tape and glue was removed from this book, it was like taking a 1.0 to a 7.0

Very satisfying.

And Matt's finishing work is impressive to say he least.

Yes, initially Matt thought the resto work would take the book to a 5.5 or 6.0. Later, when he saw some of the grades you guys have been getting back on the leaf casted comics, he revised that to a probable 7.0.

Thanks again for all the great work you did on this book!

Insane to get a FN/VF 7.0 out of a book that was missing such a huge chunk out of the detailed artwork area of the front cover. Congrats. It's an amazing looking copy of one of my favorite books. :applause:(worship)

Out of curiosity, how much do you think the interior impacted the final grade? I know that one thing we don't typically know when we look at a slabbed book is what effect the interior might have had on the grade.

Kenny,

I just saw the recent posts in this thread now - For the public to know, I was the last one to see the cover and I shipped it out over a month ago. I am terribly sorry that this happened, I won't blame it only on the postal service, I saw it last so I should take responsibility for it. I should have gotten a tracking #. If there is anything anyone can think of that I can do to fix this, please let me know and I will do my best.

Liam

Out of curiosity, how much do you think the interior impacted the final grade? I know that one thing we don't typically know when we look at a slabbed book is what effect the interior might have had on the grade.

I would imagine quite a bit.

The outer few wraps were pretty spotty, and the interior was mostly split.

Outer wrap was a serious mess, and had a ton of old resto on it. Layers of paper and glue. Which I removed and then casted the page and sealed the split wraps.

So I guess it all depends on how the washed and repaired interior was viewed as a whole. Which was quite nice once done even though the outer wrap had so much filled material.

Here some shots of the outer wrap before, and during removal. I don't have any after shots for some reason, but it pretty much looked like every other repaired interior I have posted.

8aa7608a.jpg

6e26cb3a.jpg

3002d9cc.jpg

d6de2c36.jpg

364f0c8f.jpg

Kenny,

I just saw the recent posts in this thread now - For the public to know, I was the last one to see the cover and I shipped it out over a month ago. I am terribly sorry that this happened, I won't blame it only on the postal service, I saw it last so I should take responsibility for it. I should have gotten a tracking #. If there is anything anyone can think of that I can do to fix this, please let me know and I will do my best.

Liam

Liam, no worries. It happens.

All we can do is get another cover casted, I have a boxful of those rat chewed covers.

I just need to find a few hours to cast another. Which right now is something I don't have! Working on a beast of a book that is kicking my arse.

But I will soon, and start this up again.

Grafting the large missing art bottom front cover and the text inside was a beast, but it came together very nicely. I forgot to scan the cover before mailing it to CGC! It would have shown off the work much better.

Grafting the large missing art bottom front cover and the text inside was a beast, but it came together very nicely. I forgot to scan the cover before mailing it to CGC! It would have shown off the work much better.

Matt, you may want to sign your posts at the bottom so that people know you're Matt Nelson from Classics Inc. Most people know but a lot of the newer members don't.

Great job on this book! :applause: