• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars #1 CGC 9.6 35C sold for $21,805 last night on CL

101 posts in this topic

Just an FYI for variant folks. For the longest time there was only a single Star Wars #1 CGC 9.6 35C variant in existence. That just changed and the owner/seller very quickly put up the now second variant in existence. The auction ended last night on CL for nearly $22,000.

Condition: CGC 9.6 NM+

Starts At: $1

Current Bid: $21,805

6/30/2011 8:07:56 PM EST $21,805

6/30/2011 5:27:34 PM EST $21,555

6/30/2011 5:26:34 PM EST $16,250

6/30/2011 5:26:23 PM EST $16,000

113193.jpg.69793638672e1b98c22e1a0e8c02d822.jpg

I always considered this one of the greatest books to own invesment wise ( in high grade) . Its always #1 on the bronze age books list in overstreet. The reason I say that its a top investment book is its has more colletiblilty then the normal comic. You got the comic book fans. You got the Bronze age comic book fans like myself. ANd most important it has 2 other reason to make this one heck of a investment book. You got the Star Wars fans base that will collect anything Star Wars and if its rare they will salivate over it. I am a star wars fan and know a few and this book is wanted period. And you also have the kids who growing up and loved star wars and now have money and will go out and purchase stuff like this. The fact that its rare and hard to find makes it one of the top Bronze age books if not the top in high grade. Took me years to get a copy and I paid a few hundred for a restored copy in low grade. ( about $250) .

I always considered this one of the greatest books to own invesment wise ( in high grade) . Its always #1 on the bronze age books list in overstreet. The reason I say that its a top investment book is its has more colletiblilty then the normal comic. You got the comic book fans. You got the Bronze age comic book fans like myself. ANd most important it has 2 other reason to make this one heck of a investment book. You got the Star Wars fans base that will collect anything Star Wars and if its rare they will salivate over it. I am a star wars fan and know a few and this book is wanted period. And you also have the kids who growing up and loved star wars and now have money and will go out and purchase stuff like this. The fact that its rare and hard to find makes it one of the top Bronze age books if not the top in high grade. Took me years to get a copy and I paid a few hundred for a restored copy in low grade. ( about $250) .

Totally agree...I don't know what the current thinking is amongst the variant collectors, but I recall a lot of pooh-poohing of this book back in the early days of the forum. I also remember reading that the book hit the newsstands before the movie actually hit the theatres. hm

ComicLink Comments:

This upper Near Mint CGC 9.6 NM+ is the highest graded example for the Price Variant of Star Wars #1, the most valuable Bronze Age comic book and it is 1 of only 2 ever certified at this top tier. We have to go back to the ComicLink Featured Auction of November 2009 to find the last, and only time, another 9.6 price variant has changed hands (at $26,250). Both that example and the one presented here leave nothing to be desired, with CGC's perfect page quality designation of White Pages complementing the highest certified grade of 9.6.

Agreed.

The Star Wars fanbase is bigger than the comicbook fanbase. I am pretty sure it had more to do with Star Wars fans than comicbook fans.

I agree it crosses multiple categories of collectibles and fan bases, but a lot of these are also overrun by hardcore purists who aren't willing to fork over the money these high-grade specimens are attracting. The variant guys are a perfect example of this, as they love the thrill of the hunt more than the idea of paying over guide for these books.

I agree it crosses multiple categories of collectibles and fan bases, but a lot of these are also overrun by hardcore purists who aren't willing to fork over the money these high-grade specimens are attracting. The variant guys are a perfect example of this, as they love the thrill of the hunt more than the idea of paying over guide for these books.

A lot of collectors are like that,as they will spend hours digging thru dollar boxes hoping to catch the same comicbook they could buy for about $10 to $20 dollars online. :)

Honestly so would I .

i'd rather have the SW1 .35 cents variant than a GL 76 in CGC 9.6. :acclaim:

I'd rather have both my eyes gouged out before taking that SW1 over a GL76. I enjoy Star Wars more than the Green Lantern, but valuing the book so highly just due to the front cover price is :screwy:

Honestly so would I .

I'd rather have both my eyes gouged out before taking that SW1 over a GL76. I enjoy Star Wars more than the Green Lantern, but valuing the book so highly just due to the front cover price is :screwy:

and how did GL do in the theaters? :whistle:

The reviews were about 7,341,941,348,129 times better than the reviews on the "5" in the 35-cent price tag on the cover of that Star Wars #1 that's making it so valuable. :sick:

The reviews were about 7,341,941,348,129 times better than the reviews on the "5" in the 35-cent price tag on the cover of that Star Wars #1 that's making it so valuable. :sick:

lol Probably your funniest post ever.

Honestly so would I .

I agree.

There are a lot of variant books in the GA and SA out there that are more rare than this one.

This just caught the hype bug and it will keep on riding that wave until specific warehouse

finds bring it back down to earth.

Honestly so would I .

I agree.

There are a lot of variant books in the GA and SA out there that are more rare than this one.

This just caught the hype bug and it will keep on riding that wave until specific warehouse

finds bring it back down to earth.

ok now that caught my eye. hm