• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL" Question

25 posts in this topic

Hi Brad.

When I get home later today, I can check my copies and see what the last panel shows. You may get your answer sooner, but just in case you have a backup plan.

Mentor is pulling the sheet over Mar-Vel's head and says,"He' gone..."

Bought a copy of this in Daytona in 1984 and it's what got me back into comics.Most powerful comic book I ever read.

Bought a copy of this in Daytona in 1984 and it's what got me back into comics.Most powerful comic book I ever read.

That's it!

I was going to take a picture, but I have a 9.6/9.8 first print that has never been cracked open, and I just do not want to cause a spine crease.

That's it!

I was going to take a picture, but I have a 9.6/9.8 first print that has never been cracked open, and I just do not want to cause a spine crease.

Thanks gang! (thumbs u

Mine is complete. The last page felt so sudden that I thought I was missing part of the story because of the burial scene on the back cover.

Yeah, this must have been a shocking read back in the day. Enjoyable.

quick question: I saw a pic of Greggy's CGC'd copy on the boards the other day and was surprised that there was no mention of it being a first edition on the label. WOuld CGC label that as such if asked? I was contemplating submitting my GN's but wouldn't if they don't recognize the printings.

I was contemplating submitting my GN's but wouldn't if they don't recognize the printings.

CGC goes through every page for a quality check, and would definitely catch if this was a first printing or not.

Send them in with comfort.

CGC goes through every page for a quality check, and would definitely catch if this was a first printing or not.

How would that affect the grade if they open a "virgin" copy and put stress on the spine? (shrug)

Yeah, CGC only puts the printing number on the label if it's NOT a first printing.

Which makes sense, considering that 99% of books never get a second printing. For consistency's sake, they'd have to put "1st print" on just about everything to avoid confusion and that would be just silly

First printings. Any other printing would be noted on the label in the upper area.

Maybe yes, maybe no...

027-3.jpg

029-3.jpg

Which printings are these? Here's a hint: neither of them is a first.

Graphic Novels are NOTORIOUSLY difficult when it comes to printing numbers, and DOCM is no different. Second printings are noted, but later printings get tougher, and you often have to look at the printing information on the title page for clues.

Since Graphic Novels are printed and published differently from comic books, they nearly always have an International Standadrd Book Number, or ISBN. Along with that information, you will find typical printing information, if the words "_____ printing" don't exist.

These numbers (with some rare exceptions that don't apply to graphic novels) tell you what PRINTING the book really is:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3

The lowest number will tell you what printing it is. This is called a "Printer's key." In this case, the book would be a third printing.

Since nearly all graphic novels have only one EDITION, they are all first EDITIONS, but many of them have later PRINTINGS. An edition, generally, encompasses all printings of a particular book made without any real changes to the editorial material (ie, "the story and art.") A printing, of course, is a single run, from start to finish, or a particular book.

DOCM first printings have a $5.95 cover price, and ONLY a $5.95 cover price. All copies with the $6.95 Can price are later printings. However, the 2nd and 3rd printings ALSO only have the $5.95 cover price, and must be checked inside for printing info.

If I get a chance, I'll check mine.

But no, CGC does not always catch printings...

Just the info I was looking for! Thanks a bunch Amadeus. Do you mean the last number on a printer's key tells you the printing?

And, how does one go about requesting printing info on a label? I've seen some ridiculous label statements on some slabs that I have no idea why they would be there without someone request it.