• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a buyer be able to have books shipped where he wants?

173 posts in this topic

By the OP starting this thread he has cost of all of us $10.00 bucks each by reading this.

Ladies and gentlemen common sense has left the CGC Boards once again.........

As a business owner and no offense to you but why do I want to give the auction house my customer name/address/contact information?

Even if they have you as a customer already there is business etiquette about this type of thing.

If a consignment house sells a book for me I don't ask who they sold it to.

I understand you incurring extra fees but frankly this is a transaction between you and the auction house.

How about if I said it would be a deal breaker, which was not the case in this situation.

If anyone EVER gave me an ultimatum such as this, I'd tell em to fekk off and eat a dichk :censored: . But alas, I have yet to be put in such a fascinating situation! ;)

Personally, I think the book should be sent to the person who bought it, then you send it to the auction house yourself. I don't even know how someone else could send a book to an auction house under your name when you have to sign the auction agreement form and include it with the book?

Agreed. There are way too many "What Ifs" for the seller here. If it wasn't discussed beforehand we shouldn't even be debating it. The Seller ships to the Verified Paypal address. The buyer can then do whatever they would like.

If I was the seller the simple piece of mind this would give me would be enough. What if the auction house never received it? What if it was cracked in transit?

And personally, yeah, that sorta seems....outside the realm of what the seller should be expected to do in the name of customer service. The sale is between two people unless otherwise agreed upon beforehand. Maybe some of you don't see it as a big deal but to me the whole thing just seems.....off.

Get your book, acknowledge that you received it and the transaction has been completed. Then, you can move on to a new transaction involving someone else if you would like as it is now your book - you have taken possession of it.

8 Pages guys? Really?

I've sold coins on similar forums and I always gave them good deals. But that's only because I want to make fellow collectors happy, because all of us get excited when we find good deals.

But I would be annoyed if I found out I sold any of them to a dealer who was only trying to make a buck. Not that I have a problem with capitalism, but in this case I might as well just sold it to a local dealer.

(thumbs u

shouldn't most of these questions be asked before the transaction occurs, its like bidding on a book then then adding extra conditions afterwards

if you dont like the terms then dont get the item (like when shipping costs more than an items worth)

once the trasnaction is done you are stuck with the terms set forth

I think there are 2 main issues here:

1. What is the cost in shipping to a different location?

In this case there are none.

2. Why are they being shipped there?

To turn your good nature of a deal into profit for me. Sure books get flipped but I don't think many of us would have a problem shipping to another location if it was a gift for someone etc...but to rub the seller's face in the fact you plan to make coin on it probably hurts.

I recently closed a deal here and we agreed on a short time payment schedule. book will be paid off next week and I asked the seller to ship the book to an auction house, rather than to me. He has thus far declined, saying he would be more comfortable shipping to me. For him to do so would end up with me incurring extra shipping fees.

A few facts- I did make an offer that was well below his asking price, but I made no claim that this was a grail book or that I had been looking for these for years. They were what I percieved to be a good investment and made him an offer.

I'm not mentioning the person name, but he is free to respond here.

My question is simply this- Should I as the buyer be able to dictate where the books are shipped as long as there is no additional cost to the shipper.

You bought the book. Have it shipped to you. You wanna dictate where else it goes that is fine. But tell WHY? hm

I recently closed a deal here and we agreed on a short time payment schedule. book will be paid off next week and I asked the seller to ship the book to an auction house, rather than to me. He has thus far declined, saying he would be more comfortable shipping to me. For him to do so would end up with me incurring extra shipping fees.

A few facts- I did make an offer that was well below his asking price, but I made no claim that this was a grail book or that I had been looking for these for years. They were what I percieved to be a good investment and made him an offer.

My question is simply this- Should I as the buyer be able to dictate where the books are shipped as long as there is no additional cost to the shipper.

Sorry I am STUPID. Why would it cost you more in ship fees to ship to you rather than the auction house?

So you made a weak offer....grail book or not zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, he don't need to protect him self. You want it sent to Nick Cage?

Several people have brought up paypal verified addresses. Do they really verify an address? Do you really insist on shipping only to those addresses? I've bought at least a hundred lots on these boards and hundreds on ebay, and no one has ever questioned the address I gave them to mail it to, even though its different than any credit card I have and is often not the default address that appears with a PP payment. Until a few months ago, I had comics spread out over three states, and have rarely had anyone refuse to ship to whatever address I provided them. Not here, not on eBay. One of the auction houses insisted they would ship only to the address listed on my CC, but that was resolved with one phone call.

For those who might be interested- you can add additional addresses to any credit card by calling your card provider.

When a seller asks for you to use the paypal personal method, no address appears at all.

I'm also a bit curious what sort of books people send that cost them $7 to ship?

The insurance on this lot is around $23, in addition to the actual shipping. I prefer not to have to spend an extra $35 if I can avoid it.

"You" bought the book. "You" payed for it. Have it sent to "you".

You should have calculated cost/insurance when playing the game.

I prefer not to spend an extra $20 on slab fees. Whoa is me.

Sorry I am STUPID. Why would it cost you more in ship fees to ship to you rather than the auction house?

So you made a weak offer....grail book or not zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, he don't need to protect him self. You want it sent to Nick Cage?

You have my condolences for your stupidity, as well. Shipping fees are based on distance, as well as value of the item If the auction house is more distant than I am, it might cost more.

I was going too respond to your other points, but lets just say your first sentence summed up my response, so no need to continue.

OP is a cheap is what we all have learned from this thread.

Doesn't care that he is complicating things for a seller and wants to be a little whiney person_without_enough_empathy.

Did this summary miss anything?

Doesn't care that he is complicating things for a seller and wants to be a little whiney person_without_enough_empathy.

The shipper needs an address to send these books to. How does it complicate it by asking him to send it to one address rather than the other?

BTW- The seller and I agreed to a course of action that saved the seller over $50 in shipping and fees, without saving me one cent. How that makes me cheap escapes me.

What I have learned is there are a bunch of folks here that know nothing and are proud to show it on every occasion.

i think the part that gets me is the time payments.

i have been lucky enough to purchase a couple books that i really wanted for my collection here using time payments. they were all paid off well before the agreed payoff date.

even when buying for my own collection since i was already asking for a favor with time payments i am not going to try and haggle price. since they are good enough to do me the favor of time payments i will simply pay their asking price.

i consider this a biatch slap to the face. you not only make a lower offer then ask for time payments. then ask for the book to be sent to a place where you are flipping it without even putting your hands on the book.

as stated earlier its all about karma. it may not be a book deal but when you do someone dirty it will come back on you in some way.

The shipper needs an address to send these books to. How does it complicate it by asking him to send it to one address rather than the other?

BTW- The seller and I agreed to a course of action that saved the seller over $50 in shipping and fees, without saving me one cent. How that makes me cheap escapes me.

What I have learned is there are a bunch of folks here that know nothing and are proud to show it on every occasion.

I have been reading this and had planned on keeping my views to myself as a deal between two board members is really none of my business.

However, I don't understand your latest post. How is it the sellers responsibility to cover the cost of shipping? Therefore I have to ask, how is it possible that the deal you worked out saves the seller shipping fees?

It missed a golden opportunity for you to hold your tongue (or fingers or whatever), and think before you type.