• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a buyer be able to have books shipped where he wants?

173 posts in this topic

Several people have brought up paypal verified addresses. Do they really verify an address? Do you really insist on shipping only to those addresses?

Paypal does verify addresses.They do not require you to ship to a verified address. But a PayPal Verified Address must be used if you want to conform to the the PayPal Seller Protection.

The time payments were because, after the fact, the seller requested paypal personal. I would have paid via credit card the same day. It took me a week or so to transfer money from one account to another. My bank takes two days to transfer, and the recieving bank holds the funds 48 hours before they become available.

I'm amazed people make such judgements not knowing the facts, but I guess I really shouldn't be.

Some people collect comics, some people invest in them. I guess the one group simply doesn't understand the other.

When I buy a book, almost any book, its because I believe there is value in it. I don't buy CGC books because they have great stories, or need them to fill a run. I buy them to resell. Either now or in the future. Its not rocket science.

Several people have brought up paypal verified addresses. Do they really verify an address? Do you really insist on shipping only to those addresses?

Paypal does verify addresses.They do not require you to ship to a verified address. But a PayPal Verified Address must be used if you want to conform to the the PayPal Seller Protection.

Thats interesting. I've never had it come up. Most of the books I buy here I have shipped elsewhere and no one has ever brought it up. Unless I somehow have multiple addresses verified. I'll have to look at my PP account. I know i'm PP verified, but I thought tht just meant my CC were valid.

The time payments were because, after the fact, the seller requested paypal personal. I would have paid via credit card the same day. It took me a week or so to transfer money from one account to another. My bank takes two days to transfer, and the recieving bank holds the funds 48 hours before they become available.

I'm amazed people make such judgements not knowing the facts, but I guess I really shouldn't be.

Some people collect comics, some people invest in them. I guess the one group simply doesn't understand the other.

When I buy a book, almost any book, its because I believe there is value in it. I don't buy CGC books because they have great stories, or need them to fill a run. I buy them to resell. Either now or in the future. Its not rocket science.

Why did you bring this up on the boards in the first place? Are you so daft that you expected unanimous approval?...that never happens. So you asked opinions and continue to argue to those with a vocal disdain for your chosen course of action. Do you really care what we think or did you just want to pick a fight? Perhaps you should have opened this discussion with all the facts you mentioned we didn't have.

Message board psychology fascinates me.

I really, really wish this thread hadn't been started :sorry:

Why? You got anything better going on? I'm waiting for a couple auctions to close in thirty minutes.

I just wish this hadn't been aired out in "public". I don't think it does either of us any favors.

To everyone: Bill asking after the deal is struck to ship it to CLink may have been a bit tacky / ballsy and I originally declined...thought about it and then said it was OK with me. He never portrayed himself in a bad way...he made an offer, we discussed it a little and then I accepted. I offered free shipping, he didn't demand it. We came to a mutually agreed upon way to handle the books that will save a little money on shipping and the chance of damage or loss happening during shipping.

I do not feel I was taken advantage of, I suspected he was going to flip them and that's his business once they're his books..whether he sells them a month from now or ten years from now.

Casey

My question concerned whether or not a seller should be able to have a book shipped where he wants. The other information only came out after people made baseless and uninformed accusations after inferring things not mentioned..

On reflection, you are correct in one thing. There is no reason for me to care about what the majority of people who posted here have to say. Somehow I've managed to be in the hobby almost forty years without them, and I'll be here in a few years when they won't.

There were a few well thought out posts that did not support my views from people I thought would support them and I read them and reflected on them. Its always good to get another perspective on things.

In the end, buyer, seller and future consigner all agreed on a course of action that worked out best for all involved.

I'll leave the last word to someone else.

Don't be afraid to ask the seller for "anything"....go ahead and ask away... If they say no, which it appears they did at first, don't be upset....It's business, not personal..I don't get everything I ask for, I try, but sometimes people say "no"....Move on.

This thread reminds me of something I did 30yrs ago as a kid, and I still feel guilty about it when the story gets retold.

I didnt have a bicycle, my brother had 2. The neighbours kid offered my brother $10 for one of his bikes, he said no, and gave it to me so I would have a bike. I immediately turned and sold it to the neighbour for $10.

This thread reminds me of something I did 30yrs ago as a kid, and I still feel guilty about it when the story gets retold.

I didnt have a bicycle, my brother had 2. The neighbours kid offered my brother $10 for one of his bikes, he said no, and gave it to me so I would have a bike. I immediately turned and sold it to the neighbour for $10.

Not to make you feel any more guilty but this is CLASSIC lol

:signfunny:

It dawned on me I left lout my main reason against this.

By shipping to a 3rd party, the seller now has two lines of accountability: the recipient shipped to and the buyer.

Should a mishap occur in the shipping/receiving end of things, the seller must now maintain communication with and between both parties. Since the buyer did not ship the book there is a good chance the AH will not spent much time talking with them. Mainly with the seller/shipper.

Essentially you are asking that the seller be brought into a partnership role as regards the shipping and receipt of the book. That is just not fair.

This would be more the problem I would have with shipping to an auction house. I have not been at all impressed with the response or lack of response from one company in the past 6 months. I would be uncomfortable sending to such a place who was not involved in the original transaction only to hear, "They said they never got the book, or they can't find it."...despite signature or DC, it would be more of a headache than I'd want. It sounds like the seller more likely wanted a quick sale and no headache. I have often sold for less than I might get elsewhere (such as eBay) just to avoid the head ache.

Best stuff i've read all day :applause:

Best stuff i've read all day :applause:

Damn...that's hard-core...."nothing personal, it's just business mickey.."

lol What did you do with the 10 bucks?

By the OP starting this thread he has cost of all of us $10.00 bucks each by reading this.

Ladies and gentlemen common sense has left the CGC Boards once again.........

Common sense is that gift payments expose sellers and buyers to risks. It wasn't until this was talked out by boardies that a decision was reached to not allow a sales thread to request gift payment.

Gift payments are still used, but for the benefit of buyers who may not be up to speed, gift payments should not be allowed to be used as a required payment method in any sales thread.

That's an example of common sense prevailing.

Sending an item to an unconfirmed address, or an address not associated to the name of the account holder exposes the seller, and if anything goes wrong, the seller is out the money (first thing PayPal asks is if the item was sent to a confirmed address) and isn't eligible for PayPal seller protection.

Seems to me that asking to have something sent to an uncomfirmed address is a sellers call, but at minimum, the buyer should ask if the seller does drop-shipping. If they don't, then they don't.

Making it seem the motivation to particpate on these boards strictly to knash your predatory teeth on the next victim, and sulking that people talking out the problems with drop shipping will rub out $10 of profits not only outdoes the crassness of this threads original inquiry, but takes abandonmemt of common sense to a whole new level.

Like the controversy over gift payments, I see it as an example of vaild discussion and participation well worth the time if it avoids at least one person from posting in comics general about how their books got lost by a 3rd-party, or during transit from a seller who shipped it directly to an auctioneer or consignor. 2c

By the OP starting this thread he has cost of all of us $10.00 bucks each by reading this.

Common sense is that gift payments expose sellers and buyers to risks. It wasn't until this was talked out by boardies that a decision was reached to not allow a sales thread to request gift payment.

Gift payments are still used, but for the benefit of buyers who may not be up to speed, gift payments should not be allowed to be used as a required payment method in any sales thread.

Sending an item to an unconfirmed address, or an address not associated to the name of the account holder exposes the seller, and if anything goes wrong, the seller is out the money (first thing PayPal asks is if the item was sent to a confirmed address) and isn't eligible for PayPal seller protection.

Seems to me that asking to have something sent to an uncomfirmed address is a sellers call, but at minimum, the buyer should ask if the seller does drop-shipping. If they don't, then they don't.

Making it seem the motivation to particpate on these boards strictly to knash your predatory teeth on the next victim, and sulking that people talking out the problems with drop shipping will rub out $10 of profits not only outdoes the crassness of this threads original inquiry, but takes abandonmemt of common sense to a whole new level.

Like the controversy over gift payments, I see it as an example of vaild discussion and participation well worth the time if it avoids at least one person from posting in comics general about how their books got lost by a 3rd-party, or during transit from a seller who shipped it directly to an auctioneer or consignor. 2c

:applause: I could see that thread coming.

You have to forgive SOT. He does a lot of drunken posting.

On reflection, you are correct in one thing. There is no reason for me to care about what the majority of people who posted here have to say. Somehow I've managed to be in the hobby almost forty years without them, and I'll be here in a few years when they won't.

Well, since you obviously don't give a rat's about us anyway, maybe you should just vanish from the boards again. :hi:

lol What did you do with the 10 bucks?

lol I dont remember........but yeah, one of those dumb kid things people wont let you forget :(