• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Jack Kirby Covers

107 posts in this topic

Cool story :golfclap:

Indeed.

Ditto X3.

That JIM#63 is freaking tight!

What an incredible book, AS.

That would be the highest graded copy if submitted...

No ifs, ands or buts about it~!

:applause:

The JIM 63 would likely be a 9.6 but don't be surprised if it doesn't get slabbed for a couple decades. I very much enjoy viewing it person, something I can't do nearly as well when it's slabbed. I purchased it during a follow up visit to Diamond Galleries. They didn't allow many people to purchase books from Overstreet's collection after the opening so your guess is as good as mine as to why they let me. One of the boxes that they brought out for me to look through contained Overstreet's entire selection of pre-code and post-code JIM comics. I was a very happy camper that day. :)

One lucky person has the other WM copy of JIM 63 that slabbed 9.0. From the scans, it looked to have the same attractive colors and pages as mine.

Glad you liked the TTA8 story. The opening of Diamond Galleries did not herald a new venue for collectors of vintage material because they have never really done much to operate like a typical collectibles business. To my knowledge, they have done relatively little selling to individuals on site and while they have done major sales and purchases they usually involve dealers. They have done sales on eBay but it's been mostly file copies of one sort or another and lower grade books, nothing like what I anticipated based on the opening.

There were only three other similar "social events" in the hobby and all were sponsored by Geppi. They held a birthday celebration for Carl Barks at Diamond Galleries, a showing of Murphy Anderson recreations at Diamond Galleries (I attended that one) and the inaugural celebration for Geppi's Entertainment museum. Geppi saw me at SD Con before the opening of the museum and, though he didn't remember my name, remembered I had attended the events a decade earlier and made sure to invite me to the museum inaugural. He's a class act and his financial difficulties affect the hobby in ways that most don't realize.

I've read the thread, and seen many nice examples of great covers. IMNSHO, this is the best Doc Doom cover.

Ff39.jpg

Followed closely by this one, which I need to re-scan. FF6.jpg

And I love the color schemes/drama of this cover.

Ff27.jpg