• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Resolving Forum Transaction

155 posts in this topic

If INS is over 200 I just need the tracking number and I can find out more. I work for the USPS and I will look it up at work. If its over 200 it has to be signed for and I can find out who signed for it.

It was insured for over $200 and that was my understanding as well. That a signature was required. However -- I didn't question this because I've had multiple packages delivered to my office, and I've never once signed for a package nor has anyone in my office, they just leave it. Same when they've come to my house.

I have the tracking # and can shoot you a PM.

That`s what I thought. If this was insured for $800 than someone should have signed for it.

What I know is that there is no signature as far as the buyer knew. Nor does the PO show a signature, only delivery confirmation.

I'll check it at work tomorrow, hopefully I will have more info to help out

Sorry to hear. :sorry:

These are stories you hate to hear, but need retelling because it seems there is always some way for things to go wrong.

Was shipping thrown in as part of the deal? If so, then the seller should have taken the necessary precaution (signature confirmation).

If the shipping was extra, and the buyer did not request any special service to protect his interests, than unfortunately this is an expensive buyer beware lesson.

Regardless of where you sit on the situation, I think the building staff needs to be questioned with a little more fire to their feet and perhaps filing a theft report with the police and asking for compensation for the gap in the postal services account of what went down is the way to recompense the situation in an agreeable manner for both parties.

Unfortunately, the onus is on the buyer to ignite the flame and start getting some answers. I don't like to throw around generalizations, but I've heard too many stories within the hospitality industry, both hotel and building residences, to not dig a little deeper on the matter of the parcel going missing during the time a temp or fill-in staffer was on duty.

For the buyer, it's the difference of not only closing out the doubts of this transaction, but any others that may arise in the future. 2c

I agree with most of this.

I had a similar situation two weeks ago where a panicked customer did not receive their package (fairly big book, nearly $3000K).

When I checked, Fed Ex tracking and sig. confirmation showed the package was signed for by someone a week prior.

The front building management held the packaged for a week without notifying the resident.

When I called the building management directly they told me that Fed Ex was supposed to put a notification on the tenants door that the package was delivered...after someone at the front desk had already received their package.

:screwy:

Long story short, a little digging and a package was found.

Hopefully this one gets found too.

Good luck!

Got to figure out how to posts replies to the posts without having to copy them .... Anyone ?

Click the Quote button at the bottom of the post?

(thumbs u

Don't think digging is going to be of much use here unfortunately... If UPS can't/won't help much further, I'd involve the police.

5) Buyer then consults with his building's concierge who receives all packages, and he says that no package was ever received.

6) Buyer speaks with the postal carrier who says he delivered the package to the building's concierge -- but states the regular concierge's name who was off that entire week. Postal carrier then back tracks and says he can't remember who it was because of the volume of packages, but knows he delivered it as delivery confirmation supports.

OK then, so who signed for it? The replacement ? What's his name and what has he to say in all this ?

7) The building log and the concierge deny receiving it still.

Question basically is when does the seller's responsibilty to deliver the book end?

If:

1.) buyer and seller agreed the method of shipping and the book was sent - USPS with delivery confirmation and insurance; and

2.) USPS confirms delivery

then the risk after confirmed delivery belongs to the buyer.

The buyer can't retrospectively demand compensation due to signature on delivery not being included.

The buyer must be aware of the risks of delivery to his building and consider all risks of any purchase and protection he requires before entering into the transaction.

The real question that is unanswered is where did the package end up. If delivered to the building who had access to the post from time delivered to it's disappearance.

I`m with George. At some point the buyer has to bear the risk. The seller did everything he was supposed to and has confirmation from USPS that the package was delivered. It`s not his job to make sure that USPS got it right into the hands of the buyer.

It`s the buyer`s problem, either through insurance, or grilling of the post office or the building management, to get some resolution. The seller should provide whatever reasonable assistance he can, of course, but in my opinion he`s no longer liable contractually or morally.

The buyer did'nt ask you to mail it to an auction house(3rd party) by chance?

:jokealert: Trying to add a little chuckle to an otherwise stressful situation. doh!

:signfunny:

I find it impossible to believe the building doesn't have a record of who filled in during the time the regular concierge was out. The buyer should have them check their records. If they can't provide that information then they (the building) should have to reimburse the buyer as it was their representative that received the now MIA package.

I find it impossible to believe the building doesn't have a record of who filled in during the time the regular concierge was out. The buyer should have them check their records. If they can't provide that information then they (the building) should have to reimburse the buyer as it was their representative that received the now MIA package.

I'd generally agree with that -- and I think the buyer did speak to the building who basically said, every package has to be logged in and they have no record... I get the sense that the buyer blames the PO, but again, can't be sure.

If the postmaster and the postman who delivered the package both say the package is delivered and would put it to paper, as someone said earlier, I would absolutely write a letter to building management with copies of the two statements and see what they do.

No board attorneys to chime in with who would be considered liable.

Question basically is when does the seller's responsibilty to deliver the book end?

If:

1.) buyer and seller agreed the method of shipping and the book was sent - USPS with delivery confirmation and insurance; and

2.) USPS confirms delivery

then the risk after confirmed delivery belongs to the buyer.

The buyer can't retrospectively demand compensation due to signature on delivery not being included.

The buyer must be aware of the risks of delivery to his building and consider all risks of any purchase and protection he requires before entering into the transaction.

The real question that is unanswered is where did the package end up. If delivered to the building who had access to the post from time delivered to it's disappearance.

A real tough one. So what if buyer and seller both wanted signature?Would this have turned out still different if no book was found?

If there was signature confirmation, someone would have had to have signed for it, meaning you'd know for sure that the building received it -- or that someone in the building actually signed for it.

...and if the signature was real a person who could account for what happened to the package from point of delivery.

Well I am a board lawyer. However, it's not really an issue of legal liability because in this case, the problem is, nobody has any real proof except that the package was delivered. There's a million variances with carelessness -- as in the package is set down after being delivered and someone else walks off with it. Inadvertently goes somewhere else, logged in improperly etc.

The case would never go anywhere substantive.

With that said, consider these other factors:

1)that the concierge has been with the building 30 years

2)The postman was to discuss the matter with the concierge but has to date never addressed the missing package or spoken to anyone in the building.

Well I am a board lawyer. However, it's not really an issue of legal liability because in this case, the problem is, nobody has any real proof except that the package was delivered. There's a million variances with carelessness -- as in the package is set down after being delivered and someone else walks off with it. Inadvertently goes somewhere else, logged in improperly etc.

2)The postman was to discuss the matter with the concierge but has to date never addressed the missing package or spoken to anyone in the building.

I thought the concierge wasn't there that week?

I agree with 8milemax about the signature; the post office should have one of those little orange cards signed by whomever received the package.

I would ask the post office to produce it.

Sadly the most important factor in this case right now is did the buyer pay via Paypal and did the buyer use a CC#?

This is the most important thing because if the buyer wants to claim that the item was not received and the seller cant provide Paypal a delivery method that shows the $250+ item was signed for then the buyer will be refunded by Paypal no matter what the USPS says.

This is why I never ship anything above $250 anymore without sig confirmation.

EDIT: To add though since this was insured for $800ish why is the USPS dodging the question of answering who signed for the insured item?

I agree with 8milemax about the signature; the post office should have one of those little orange cards signed by whomever received the package.

I would ask the post office to produce it.

I will check the tracking number tomorrow at work and see what it says :)

I thought the concierge wasn't there that week?

The normal one wasn't there, different one

Sadly the most important factor in this case right now is did the buyer pay via Paypal and did the buyer use a CC#?

This is the most important thing because if the buyer wants to claim that the item was not received and the seller cant provide Paypal a delivery method that shows the $250+ item was signed for then the buyer will be refunded by Paypal no matter what the USPS says.

This is why I never ship anything above $250 anymore without sig confirmation.

EDIT: To add though since this was insured for $800ish why is the USPS dodging the question of answering who signed for the insured item?

Lesson: never ship anything over $250 (or whatever your threshold is) without signature confirmation, despite the USPS saying that insured packages must be signed for. In this case, they should be able to produce a signature, correct?

Someone needs to talk to the fill-in Concierge. Maybe he walked off with it.

This reminds me of the time I sent a book to another boardie with delivery confirmation. The slabbed book was worth about $100. I sent it to his apt address. The USPS website showed a delivery confirmation. The boardie said that the package was left (stupidly) by the mailboxes and someone must have walked off with it. We were at an impasse ( I shipped it, had delivery confirmation, he said he did not receive it because it wa stolen at the apt building). Eventually, a cleaning lady found the package in the trash and it was resolved and we are on good terms. I learned from this that sending to an apartment is more risky and requires a signature and insurance. If the USPS requires signatures for insured packages, then shouldn't they be able to produce the signature. If not, then we need to pay for the extra signature confirmation. hm