• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. TDcomicscards or "How I learned to Start Worrying and Hate CGG"

106 posts in this topic

Speaking of bed, I'm off to catch a couple of hours of sleep time before I get up early to prevent an evil employee from making off with his employer's trade secrets! Been up all night drafting the papers to file tomorrow, and I am punchy punchy punchy!!! 27_laughing.gif

As if you had to ask.

See, I go to bed early and miss all the damn fun! Well, just wait till AARP starts haunting YOUR mailbox.

In the meantime, I am willing to create a t-shirt for a benefit to buy CGG a blacklight. FFBono, you in?

I'm in. thumbsup2.gif

In the meantime, I am willing to create a t-shirt for a benefit to buy CGG a blacklight. FFBono, you in?

I have a feeling CGG is going to need more than just a backlight to stay in business if this kind of [!@#%^&^] keeps showing up...

The color touch is on the top right corner, bottom right, and top spine. VERY easy to see. frown.gif

CGC will NEVER turn down a submission from someone because their books are restored, it's part of our business. makepoint.gif

We do, however, not let people become/stay CGC member dealers and submit books FOR OTHER PEOPLE if we know they are shady.

What does it matter? Will they stop accepting submissions from EVERYONE who sends them restored books?

They should return their old disclaimer "Please do not send us restored books".

Looks like the same book to me in the scans Rip provided.

Does CGG actually have a Restored label? Has anyone seen one? Does anyone own one?.

Explanation from Daniel is always to blame the seller first, then themselves last.

Somewhere between CGG to TDcardsncomics to Rip to CGC there was CT added to the book? Come on... have you seen the pictures of this bridge I own in Brooklyn? Fantastic property... you could set up your own toll booths and I'll sell it to you for next to nothing. Can't lose.

Think about that... honestly, the explanation that is being put forward is that TDcardsncomics opened up a CGG 9.2 to insert an identical book with CT to sell on eBay? I could see it if the book was a lower grade inserted in one of their holders or had a completely different appearance.

So now they are fixing their security features? Does that mean their holder with the PVC inner well isn't tamper proof?

So either (a) they can't spot restoration or (b) their holder is not secure. Which one is it Daniel? Since we know you can't spot most restoration and you've admitted that the holder is not tamper proof it looks like it's (a) and (b).

I'm surprised to see that Dupcek isn't supporting this service - must be the deliberate undergrading which is holding him back.

Does CGG actually have a Restored label? Has anyone seen one? Does anyone own one?.

Think about that... honestly, the explanation that is being put forward is that TDcardsncomics opened up a CGG 9.2 to insert an identical book with CT to sell on eBay? I could see it if the book was a lower grade inserted in one of their holders or had a completely different appearance.

The CGG restored label is green... there have been a few on ebay including an Avengers 1. I spoke to Daniel Patterson about a month ago regarding their restoration detection, and he noted that they catch a lot of restored books... sometimes entire lots from certain submitters will go back restored. Reading between the lines, I see this as some submitters are testing CGG and attempting to slide restored books past them.

Regarding TDComix.... I have a theory that will never be proven, but I think it makes the most sense...

TD was a good customer of CGG and a trusting relationship was established. Given this relationship, TD would submit books that were "from original owner collections" or something like that and CGG let the resto check slide on these books. I'm not implying collusion -- simply that CGG trusted this guy and he used them to get restored books slabbed. Rather than admit an embarassing -- but honest -- mistake, CGG digs their hole deeper and makes their relationship with TD look even more suspicious with a fishy scan.

To me, this is the best explanation for missing obvious color touches as Steve Borock noted, and it explains why almost all of the problems with CGG have traced back to this seller. I can't believe that CGG is so incompetant they would miss obvious resto, or they would risk their entire company to KNOWINGLY slab restored books from one seller. So in my mind, CGG is likely guilty of trusting the wrong people and making bad decisions thereafter.

Zip, your theory is really interesting and actually makes sense. If it is true, though, they did make a serious, possibly fatal miscalculation regarding TD. Bad decision.

Zip, your theory is really interesting and actually makes sense. If it is true, though, they did make a serious, possibly fatal miscalculation regarding TD. Bad decision.

I have to laugh. The whole idea of CERTIFICATION is to do it blind and check every book, no matter who it is from.

Imagine: "Hey guys, I know you, so I guess I don't have to do what I am telling my customers they are paying me to do. I am sure the money that you could make by lying to me would never sway you to do the wrong thing." foreheadslap.gif

As an example of how CGC does it........here's a shout out to Scott at CGC, who worked with me over the last couple of days to verify authenticity of a dozen Green River pedigree books I submitted. I thought the date stamp and page quality would do it, but no, I had to provide info on the line of procurement so they could establish that these were GRs. It took a couple of days to do it (contacting dealers, etc.) so even though I was impatient to get the books back, I appreciated the care they took to do the right thing.

I also called CGC about 7 times in the last 10 days and on each and every occasion I spoke to a patient professional person. I never felt hurried off the phone and I was really impressed.

When CGG can start to come close to that kind of service, I'll consider them,....but right now if their service was FREE, I wouldn't bother.

And by the way, none the raw Green Rivers I submitted were pressed, at least by me, and never will be as long as I own them.

I will register one complaint though.....due to the backlog of books at CGC, I paid for standard service and in essence got what they advertise as economy service. Gotta' get caught up guys! Seriously.

Somewhere between CGG to TDcardsncomics to Rip to CGC there was CT added to the book? Come on... have you seen the pictures of this bridge I own in Brooklyn? Fantastic property... you could set up your own toll booths and I'll sell it to you for next to nothing. Can't lose.

Kev - a bridge in Brooklyn that I can set up my own toll booths on could provide me some nice extra income. Can you pm me wtih some details? thumbsup2.gif

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Kev - a bridge in Brooklyn that I can set up my own toll booths on could provide me some nice extra income. Can you pm me wtih some details? thumbsup2.gif

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

sign-funnypost.gif