• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG! Just got grades from my 3 free express subs

32 posts in this topic

Yep, that's the scan! It is slightly miswraped, but other than that the only defect I could find is a microscopic, and I do mean microscopic, non-color breaking spine stress. I didnt think it would count against the book, and it didnt.

No, I didnt buy these off the stand. I'm only 25 smirk.gif

I found them on the wall at a local shop a while back. I was kinda stunned when I looked at the condition considering it isnt much of a store and the stuff they do have is generally beat around a bit. Apparently they were from the owner's personal collection. I grabbed the 9 best issues from 105-120.

I'm having a really good day and I just have to share on the boards! I signed up for the Collector's Society membership a couple months ago, but havent had anything spectacular to send in with my express subs.

Looking through my books, I pulled out my three best 20cent ASM's and decided, against my better judgement, to send em in and hope to get some decent grades in time for the movie. So I sent in 108, 113 (doc Ock), and 117. All three are VERY nice. Here were my predictions:

108 - 9.4

113 - 9.2

117 - 9.6

I posted the 117 in the grading forum a few months back and everybody seemed to agree on my 9.6 guess.

So I called CGC today and here are the grades...

108 - 9.8 (now one of four)

113 - 9.6

117 - 9.8 (now one of three)

Apparantly, my grading is too tight for my own good. I'm pumped as hell! laugh.gif

You now qualify to be an official CGG grader!! Congratulations! 893applaud-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Seriously though, congrats! Always nice when it works out better than expected.

Did you have your books cleaned and pressed before you submitted them to CGC? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Of course he did. As anyone who follows these boards knows, there's no way a book can be given such a high grade anymore unless it's been cleaned and pressed. The funny thing is, all the people who believe this are also the ones arguing that there are zillions of raw books in pristine NM condition out there, which is why prices will crash. Talk about turning the human psyche on its head: whereas most people won't believe something until they see it, these good folks do believe in something until they see it. foreheadslap.gif

The funny thing is, all the people who believe this are also the ones arguing that there are zillions of raw books in pristine NM condition out there, which is why prices will crash. Talk about turning the human psyche on its head: whereas most people won't believe something until they see it, these good folks do believe in something until they see it. foreheadslap.gif

Some people have seen it, but wouldn't expect rank newbies to understand the breadth of current collections or warehouse finds.

If you haven't been collecting for a few decades, it is tough to grasp the enormity of NM comics out there, and fall prey to the fallacy that the Census will remain static in the years to come. 893frustrated.gif

The funny thing is, all the people who believe this are also the ones arguing that there are zillions of raw books in pristine NM condition out there, which is why prices will crash. Talk about turning the human psyche on its head: whereas most people won't believe something until they see it, these good folks do believe in something until they see it. foreheadslap.gif

Some people have seen it, but wouldn't expect rank newbies to understand the breadth of current collections or warehouse finds.

If you haven't been collecting for a few decades, it is tough to grasp the enormity of NM comics out there, and fall prey to the fallacy that the Census will remain static in the years to come. 893frustrated.gif

I very well understand that, particularly for the high availability of comics after 1965. I'm simply poking fun at the fact that many people who understand this phenomenon nonetheless are suspicious of any post-1965 book that appears in NM and are the first to accuse it of being cleaned and pressed.