• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about shipping/receipt stamps on the cover.....

6 posts in this topic

Was just curious, I know that date stamps on covers are acceptable and are not counted against the grade (not sure why though), but does the stamp actually have to be stamp? What if it was hand written?

I recently got this from CL June's auction. Note the little stribble towards the top left of the cover. I knew it was there when I bid on it, but didn't care because I thought it was just a beautiful book and the price was great.

RAD154B42011527_163244.jpg

I figured this scribble was someone's initial or just someone testing a pen, which can understandably bring down the grade, but now that I have it, I see it actually says "R 7/7". Does this sound right for when a "Sep" book would hit the stands back in 1970? It seem to me this is pretty unusual for scribble and looks like something that had a deliberate purpose. Other than that, all other aspects of this book is fantastic. It looks better than some of my 9.2 and 9.4s.

Sure, received July 7th. (thumbs u

I like store dates and stamps if they are cleanly and well-placed. To me it adds to the nostalgia and, in some cases, provenance of the book.*

*Arrival dates drive some people crazy.

Sure, received July 7th. (thumbs u

I like store dates and stamps if they are cleanly and well-placed. To me it adds to the nostalgia and, in some cases, provenance of the book.*

Couldn't agree more. I also like owners initials under the same circumstances. :)