• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What annoys you about some Ebay auctions?

31 posts in this topic

I have a number of things, but mine is loud, exclamatory remarks that serve no purpose. I see it a lot more when I shop for coins, but I see it with comics too sometimes.

At the end of the title things like, "WOW!" or "L@@K!" It actually makes me not want anything to do with their action.

I think the next time I sell something I think I'm going to add, "OMG LMAO WTF!" to the end of the title just to parody them.

I dont like the following:

- When sellers add, "CGC It" to titles

- The use of the word "Mint"

- Rampant overgrading.

- Sellers who shill

- Buyers who shill

- Ebay fees.

- Sellers who mail slabs in envelopes.

Just a few things I can think of.

I dont like the following:

- When sellers add, "CGC It" to titles

- The use of the word "Mint"

- Rampant overgrading.

- Sellers who shill

- Buyers who shill

- Ebay fees.

- Sellers who mail slabs in envelopes.

Just a few things I can think of.

Yeah, that "CGC it" bugs me too. A another common one for certified coins is, "Looks Better!"

Well, insufficiently_thoughtful_person, if you really think it should grade higher why aren't you sending it in for a regrade?

Edit: lol at filter

yeah the legend himself. he has always seemed like a complete tool. the pedestal thing has pushed me to the point of wanting to treat him how miss anthony treats two year olds.

You know, I have always wished for a feature where you could block sellers. Make them just not show up at all in your searches.

Most annoying thing about eBay for me: Private listings, which is really useful for sellers to shill bid their listings.

E.g.: bijoubaby05's color touched 9.2 copy of JIM 85 that went unsold on ComicLink for 6 months, which he then broke out of the slab and marketed as a restored 9.6. The bidding didn't cross $1000.

The winner of the auction? Bijoubaby himself. He's re-listed the book, again without mentioning that it's restored in the title, or the book's previous grade. Bidding's a little more subdued this time (people don't like to be shilled, apparently lol ).

"private listing - bidders' identities protected" = shilling in progress

MCJ stole my thunder.

There was an item a month or two ago that I was REALLY interested in, but just couldn't see myself to bid on it, much less attempt to win it because the seller had private feedback, and private bidding.

The kind of red flags able to cover an entire city block.

Bid History: Details

Bidding Details

Bidder Information

Bidder: s***s ( 19Feedback score is 10 to 49)

Item description: Item Title: TALES FROM THE CRYPT #33 ~ KEY EC COMIC ~ CGC 8.5

Bids on this item: 2

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 38

Items bid on: 22

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help

Bid retractions: 0

Bid retractions (6 months): 0

30-Day Bid History

Category No. of Bids Seller Help Last Bid Help

Collectibles > Bronze Age (1970-83) 1 Seller 1 5d 15h

Collectibles > Bronze Age (1970-83) 3 Seller 1 5d 15h

Collectibles > Bronze Age (1970-83) 6 Seller 1 5d 15h

Collectibles > Golden Age (1938-55) 2 Seller 1 6d 8h

Collectibles > Silver Age (1956-69) 1 Seller 1 6d 22h

Collectibles > Golden Age (1938-55) 1 Seller 1 6d 23h

Collectibles > Bronze Age (1970-83) 1 Seller 1 6d 22h

Collectibles > Silver Age (1956-69) 1 Seller 1 6d 21h

Collectibles > Bronze Age (1970-83) 1 Seller 1 6d 22h

Collectibles > Golden Age (1938-55) 1 Seller 1 6d 22h

Collectibles > Golden Age (1938-55) 2 Seller 1 2d 18h

Collectibles > Golden Age (1938-55) 5 Seller 1 2d 18h

Collectibles > Golden Age (1938-55) 2 Seller 1 3d 18h

Collectibles > Silver Age (1956-69) 2 Seller 1 3d 19h

Collectibles > Silver Age (1956-69) 2 Seller 1 3d 19h

Collectibles > Silver Age (1956-69) 1 Seller 1 4d 2h

Collectibles > Copper Age (1984-1991) 1 Seller 1 4d 2h

Collectibles > Bronze Age (1970-83) 1 Seller 1 4d 2h

One thing that bothers me is when a seller has a reserve of let's say 100.00 on a auction, but starts the auction out at .99! Normally if it's a book I am interested in and I place a bid only be informed that I have not met the reserve price, I am done with that transaction!

I had mentioned these in a recent thread of mine about trying to get myself an AF 15 ---

Small, blurry photos of expensive comics. I email the seller for better pix and get excuses as to why they cant provide better pix at the moment.(my camera is broken, my scanner is broken, I'm out of town at the moment,blah blah blah)

No picture provided of back of slabbed comic. (although to be fair,this is a problem at the other auction sites also.There's a copy of AF 15 I'd probably have bought already but the seller refuses to provide a picture of the back cover.)

PLOD's with massive amounts of exclaimation points in the description. (STUNNING ! PURPLE LABEL ! )

Sellers who refuse to have a real auction. The seller puts the book up for an unrealistic BIN price, the book does not even draw an offer, the auction ends and the seller just relists the book over and over again for the same price. I've seen books that have been on there since last year at the same price. How about being realistic and at least lower the price by like 2% on relist?

yadda,yadda

Sellers who refuse to have a real auction. The seller puts the book up for an unrealistic BIN price, the book does not even draw an offer, the auction ends and the seller just relists the book over and over again for the same price. I've seen books that have been on there since last year at the same price. How about being realistic and at least lower the price by like 2% on relist?

Agreed there!

Photos/Lack there of or brutal angles. Ask for better ones, ya sure will send to your email...NEVER receive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Comic-Thor-Green-Lantern-Batman-CGC-SS-9-8-10-9-6-/330586523882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf87e08ea

Here is a great example...you want 14,000. and post 4 really small photos (likely stock).

lol

mycs, the BIN prices is definitely toward the top of my list! It wouldn't be so bad but almost all BIN prices are somewhere between moderately overpriced to outrageous.

It's funny when you check completed listings. Whenever you seen a green price, the vast majority of the time it's an auction or a best offer. Straight up BIN's with no best offer are almost never triggered.

1) Books listed in the wrong place, such as silver age in the golden age section

2) reprints of golden age released in the silver age (see #1)

3) DVD, CD, electronic file collections of comics (see #1 & #2)

4) Pictures of books placed side ways. Why do this???

5) Stan Lee signature series books. Please stop defacing the covers. On any given day, there are close to 600 available. (see #6)

6) Stupid starting price & stupid BIN prices

7) Dealers who upload 500+ books at a time (see #8)

8) Old School dealers who over-grade, over-price. (see #6 & #7)

9) Any reference to CGC when the book is NOT graded by CGC

10) "Picture says it all"

11) "Sold as is" raw books

12) Ebay constantly raising fees, killing their own market

13) Private feedback = Scam

This is just what I could think of off the top of my head while having my first cup of coffee. :P