• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

The cat is out of the bag....so now let the fun begin

The first dealer is well known on these boards and has been around for some time.

I recently bought several comics at a convention and realized when I got home one of the comics was a duplicate of what I already owned. Of course, this is my mistake. :makepoint:

I called the dealer's store and described the event and asked if I could go back to the show the next day and exchange it for something else. I even said I was prepared to buy a few more comics that this person had on the wall. The guy called me back and said it was no problem to go back and exchange it. I was pleased.

I got up early the next day and drove 35 miles to the show to see said dealer. Everyone was setting up their booth except this dealer. He wasn't there... I waited and waited and after about 90 minutes I see his neighbor breaking down the shelves in the dealers booth. I walked over to ask when said dealer was coming...I was told "he decided not to come back". I was amazed and floored!

Not only was I told he would be there but who in their right mind travels across country to not show up on the last day of a show? I actually had $1,000 in my pocket to buy more comics.

I asked the guy if he had the dealers cell number and he gave it to me. I called it and this is what the owners cell message said (paraphrasing a bit):

"Hi, this is X. You've reached my vmail which I do not check. I don't care about messages and won't call you back. Call my store as they like to talk to people. I don't" Beep!

I was literally speachless. How can someone who attends conventions which is supposed to deal with people have such unsociable skills and still survive in this business. It must be true that people will buy comics from the devil if he had what they needed.

I left a message anyway and then I called his store. I called and spoke to several folks over the next few days and so far I have not received a call back. I even gave them my want list of several comics I would buy as long as I could send back the duplicate I bought. Still no phone call.

The bottom line is I will never buy another thing from this clown. I'm sure I will see him at shows and if I do...we'll see how fiesty I am that day.

Regardless, this experience just shows me how great our forum is. I have had more great experiences buying from fellow boardies than almost all of my dealings with the "dealers" out there.

The other experience I will share later as this one seemed to go on longer than I planned.

Again, I know it was my fault for buying something I already owned but to be told that I could go back to exchange it...drive 70 miles roundtrip...pay for parking...and the guy doesn''t show up....just angered me a great deal. And to call their store, speak to several people, give them my want list and still no call...I guess business must be too good. (even though said dealer was crying to everyone how biz is slow and the show wasn't going well for him....)

Yet another one on the list of "Do not buy from". That list is getting really long. lol

You do realise that you're going to be hassled all through this thread until you come out with names, don't you? :whistle:

You do realise that you're going to be hassled all through this thread until you come out with names, don't you? :whistle:

Yep, I figured...I just don't want to start a big battle among the "dealer supporters".

We could have a guessing game? :insane:

For the time being I would prefer to not divulge these dealers...

Well, I quit reading.

Why? I tend to write with clear thoughts and i'm sure it will come out eventually. With this forum I've learned if you come out with guns blazing you are sure to start a gun fight.

Besides ranting and getting it off your chest, what's the point of this without said persons name? Are you afraid he/she might call you back? Wouldn't that solve one of your problems?

Actually to be honest, I just wanted to get it off my chest. At this point, the dealer could call me back and I'd hang up. If my post was the catalyst to making him call me back...I don't need it.

And, just wait...the name will come out....someone just PM'd me and guessed it right away. For many, it will be obvious.

Being that blazingbob is my handle I resent that comment popgun :baiting:

lol

Bob, i've only had great dealings with you so anyone who reads into my "guns a blazing comment" should know right away... Bob at Highgradecomics.com is awesome. I would buy and plan to buy more comics from you in the near future.

For the time being I would prefer to not divulge these dealers...

Well, I quit reading.

Why? I tend to write with clear thoughts and i'm sure it will come out eventually. With this forum I've learned if you come out with guns blazing you are sure to start a gun fight.

I was being sarcastic.

I know exactly who you are talking about and he's not that bad of a guy... Sometimes gruff. First of all, his store staff probably had no idea he wasn't coming back to the show. Secondly, he has had that phone message forever. Thirdly, it wasn't his fault you purchased the wrong issue. I'm not saying that you are at fault, but he didn't know you would be returning to the show.

Lastly, I'm sure something could have been worked out as far as store credit or an exchange. He's facilitated returns/refunds in the past.

The post reads like an open book if you've ever had dealings with him.

I know who it is and suffice to say I've never had a problem with him but understand why some people do. He's actually quite personable when you get to know him (as many people are) but has that grumpiness facade that turns a lot of people off initially.

lol

Sorry to hear you had a bad dealing with him.

:foryou:

The post reads like an open book if you've ever had dealings with him.

I know who it is and suffice to say I've never had a problem with him but understand why some people do. He's actually quite personable when you get to know him (as many people are) but has that grumpiness facade that turns a lot of people off initially.

lol

Sorry to hear you had a bad dealing with him.

:foryou:

Thanks Roy. I appreciate it. Would I be right that you've bought or did some big deals with this person?

The problem is he will only be "nice" to you if you are spending big money on his books. Try negotiating with him and you get the attitude.

Plus, anyone who runs a business and has a vmail that says what his says....is a total fool. I'm in sales for a living. If I treated my clients like that...i'd be broke and on the street.

he problem is he will only be "nice" to you if you are spending big money on his books.

I've never bought a book from him. So, I'm not sure what reason he has to be nice to me. Actually, I find it disconcerting. hm

Sorry Mark, that does suck! Especially having to leave the beauty and tranquility of fort Lauderdale to enter the den of HORRIBLE drivers called Miami all for naught :sick:

I remember you posting about buying the wrong book but that they were going to let you return it the next day. Then a few days later i saw that you had the book up for sale and was wondering what happened.

Unfortunately, in a LOT of businesses nowadays, customer service is DEAD! That why so many of the good sellers on here are so highly regarded. Its so refreshing when you actually deal with someone who has great customer service it blows your freaking mind and you cant stop showering them with praise! (worship)