• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

The post reads like an open book if you've ever had dealings with him.

I know who it is and suffice to say I've never had a problem with him but understand why some people do. He's actually quite personable when you get to know him (as many people are) but has that grumpiness facade that turns a lot of people off initially.

lol

Sorry to hear you had a bad dealing with him.

:foryou:

Thanks Roy. I appreciate it. Would I be right that you've bought or did some big deals with this person?

The problem is he will only be "nice" to you if you are spending big money on his books. Try negotiating with him and you get the attitude.

Plus, anyone who runs a business and has a vmail that says what his says....is a total fool. I'm in sales for a living. If I treated my clients like that...i'd be broke and on the street.

I am sorry, but I have to say this: WHO CARES WHAT HE HAS ON HIS PERSONAL VOICE MAIL???

Key word being PERSONAL...

That number is not his store number and therefore he could put whatever he wants on it! And for those who know the man, take it as a joke! As for him not showing up at the show, so what! Did you, or anyone else who has something to say pay for his set-up? Perhaps the man had other things to do? Perhaps like you said "He was crying to everyone that the show was garbage" and therefore decided not to waste his time!

Really and truly, is it any of our business???

As for your $35 dollar refund... I would be willing to wager that not only would he have given you your money back, but would have probably told you to keep the book as well! PLUS, you even said it yourself... It was YOUR fault for buying something you already had! In all honesty, is that HIS fault? SHOULD he have HAD to be at the show the next day so that he could refund you your money?

Again, I normally never say a word, but I happen to think this man is actually a good guy who normally would give people the shirt off his back! Or better yet, $1000's of dollars in comics on the CUFF only for the person to sell, make large profits and take advantage of the man's true kindness and stall in paying him!

For everyone to be so "upset" at his PERSONAL voice mail is a joke! The dealer should never have given the man's personal number out in the first place! What he chooses to say is hie own business! That is precisely the reason he has 30+ employees... to deal with people on the STORES phone line, not his personal one!

Happy collecting everyone!

John (thumbs u

(thumbs u Right back at ya and That's not the nice one either

His vmail is just one example of his curmudgeon being and how he sits at cons snarling at customers and how he didn't give a care in the world I was coming with money to buy more comics from him and stated so to his employee John. I don't care who you are...your post is ridiculous. Any business owner who cares about his business and customers would never treat people like he does.

And if his mail is a joke, why didn't he just call me back after I left a nice vmail asking to discuss what we could do?

So now Jamie is sitting at cons, snarling at customers? Does he steal lollipops from passing children as well?

It's worth reading carefully ... all of it. If you read just parts of it, you'll miss the subtleties of what is being said.

Trimmed Books

If I might throw in my two cents.

Buying a wrong book and asking for a return seems to me to be an unremarkable event. How hard is that to accommodate?

Driving to and from an event after a no-show would burn me up and about $20 of gas in my Jeep.

So I would probably shrug it off and not buy any more books from that dealer -- but we do "owe" each other here a duty of care, in my opinion.

Sometimes, I do think I'd do a deal with the Devil :devil: just hoping that that one time would get me a book I had been "dying" for (shrug) -- but I'd also like to think that after mistreatment I'd take my business elsewhere and be able to hold to that decision. :sumo: His book but my dollar.

I appreciate getting a heads up on transactions that might turn out to be problematical. (thumbs u

No problem and apologies I posted the same trimming link also

Thanks for understanding what I was saying.

Again, I normally never say a word, but I happen to think this man is actually a good guy who normally would give people the shirt off his back!

John (thumbs u

Your mention of Jamie willing to give you the shirt off his back reminded me of an experience I had with Jamie many years ago. It was a very hot summer day and I was attending the Motor City con where Jamie was setup. At this show he was also selling comic T-shirts. I stopped to chat with Jamie, if he is not busy, he will chat chat with you. I was wearing a cheap white T-shirt and suddenly Jamie says 'that T-shirt is disgusting, pick out any shirt on the rack on me but just change that shirt'. I did and we still laugh about it today. So there you have it, Jamie will give you the shirt off his back, or rack.

It must be a florida thing because I seem to be the only one that understands this (shrug)

He isn't MAD because the guy didn't show up at the show. It's disappointing and annoying But he can deal with it. What he is mad about is the fact that even after he was told it was ok he can't even get a simple call back after repeated attempts. Forget the exchange on the duplicate, he told the guy he wants to buy a bunch of other books(like 1k worth unless I'm mis understanding), gave him his want list, and STILL can't even get a call back!!!

Am I completely misunderstandin this mark cus that's what I'd be Mostly pissed about!

The guy wants to spend a bunch of money and can't get a return call? How is anybody defending this? That boggles my mind. If one of my instructors told me a guy called earlier wanteing to spend $5 or 6 or 7 hundred a thousand dollars, I'd be calling that person within 10 minutes at the absolute latest. Seriously, no sarcasm, is this guy a billionaire or something and doesn't need money?

So now Jamie is sitting at cons, snarling at customers? Does he steal lollipops from passing children as well?

He is not nice to customers. He might not be actually snarling...but he has his little quips that are rude and I've seen it.

It must be a florida thing because I seem to be the only one that understands this (shrug)

He isn't MAD because the guy didn't show up at the show. It's disappointing and annoying But he can deal with it. What he is mad about is the fact that even after he was told it was ok he can't even get a simple call back after repeated attempts. Forget the exchange on the duplicate, he told the guy he wants to buy a bunch of other books(like 1k worth unless I'm mis understanding), gave him his want list, and STILL can't even get a call back!!!

Am I completely misunderstandin this mark cus that's what I'd be Mostly pissed about!

The guy wants to spend a bunch of money and can't get a return call? How is anybody defending this? That boggles my mind. If one of my instructors told me a guy called earlier wanteing to spend $5 or 6 or 7 hundred a thousand dollars, I'd be calling that person within 10 minutes at the absolute latest. Seriously, no sarcasm, is this guy a billionaire or something and doesn't need money?

^^

He had a JIM 83 I was going to make him an offer on and I was even looking at it with him on Saturday. So there it is...cat out of the bag on what I was going try and work a deal with him on Sunday. I had $1,000 in cash plus the comic to work a deal on a low grade JIM 83. Other boardies know I'm looking for one. plus how does he know that guys like me wouldn't come back on Sunday to try and work out deals?

What is NOT ok with me is to tell me you'll be there tomorrow when you apparently have a decent idea you won't and then not returning multiple calls. That's not cool (thumbs u

Which is absolute & utter speculation on your part with zero basis in reality. But, hey, give Jamie a call - I'm sure he'll let you manage his calendar from now on :thumbsup:

Transplant said he immediately knew who this was from the description and that he "has an affinity for not showing up the last day of a show".

Is that not true?

Side note- it is interesting that most people who haven't filled out their location with "Illinois" agree with mark while those with Illinois as their location think he's being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and jamies a good guy hm

I have no idea what Mike's experiences are with which dealer's he's witnessed leave early from a show and which he has noted have stayed until the doors close on Sunday. So it might be true to him, but I have never seen it.

I have either been set up at, or attended something in the manner of 40 shows over the years, with a Graham Crackers booth present. I don't know when I have ever seen them not there on the last day.

On your side note, the people from Illinois probably have more experience dealing with Jamie, being that he has 9 stores and sets up at the shows here. That gives them perspective from which to speak in an educated manner. There are people with one experience here and there, one might be bad, and that's all they have to go on. People from Illinois may have decades of shopping in his stores, talking to him, dealing with him, and trading with him at conventions. If all of their opinions seem to go in a certain direction, and all those people have more experience with him, that may tell you something...or not...depending on your point of view.

Hey, to each his own. Personally, I don't think you should have to know someone for years on end to get the tiniest semblance of customer service. I guess after 10-20 years, his complete lack of customer service becomes a cute little side of him that some like but things like that me off to the 10th degree.

I didn't want you to miss the point of what I was saying. I wasn't saying you have to know him for decades to get service. I am saying the people that have extensive dealing with him over a long period of time seem to be imparting a certain pattern that, given the frequency and breadth of the experiences, would be more valuable than a one off experience here and there as a measure of the business.

I work a 75 hour week at my business and I personally kiss the ENDLESSLY of every single person who comes into my studio from the second they enter to the second they leave for very simple reasons. The economy sucks, I have a TON of competition in the area and I value the business of every single person that steps thru the door. If they are choosing my studio over the various others in the area and giving me their hard earned money, I feel it's my duty to do everything humanly possible to make them happy and want to come back.

That might be why I never have to close shop a day early and not show up because business sucks hm

Wait, what kind of studio?

I thought you were an attorney? Was that just in the past?

Do you do something creative now? That's the dream of all practicing attorney's, I know.

Well comix, even you guys supporting are pretty much saying he doesn't return calls, at least certainly not right away and that he can definitely be or seem rude when you're dealing with him and don't know him. Almost all you guys have joked and laughed that that's how he is. Is that completely wrong?

yes, I am an attorney but I practice VERY little now. I haven't taken any new cases unless it was old clients who violated probation in 18 months. My wife, her trainer and I opened a pilates and spinning(mainly) studio January 2010.

And Yes, I know. Staring at insanely hot women in yoga pants 75 hours A week is extremely tough work! :devil:

Actually, it kind of is when you're married hm

What he is mad about is the fact that even after he was told it was ok he can't even get a simple call back after repeated attempts. Forget the exchange on the duplicate, he told the guy he wants to buy a bunch of other books(like 1k worth unless I'm mis understanding), gave him his want list, and STILL can't even get a call back!!!

Yep, I think you nailed it.

The OP is pissed because he gave them his want-list, told them he was going to a buy a lot of books from them, and yet they didn't give him the high-rollin' respect he thinks he deserves.

What he is mad about is the fact that even after he was told it was ok he can't even get a simple call back after repeated attempts. Forget the exchange on the duplicate, he told the guy he wants to buy a bunch of other books(like 1k worth unless I'm mis understanding), gave him his want list, and STILL can't even get a call back!!!

The OP is pissed because he gave them his want-list, told them he was going to a buy a lot of books from them, and yet they didn't give him the high-rollin' respect he thinks he deserves.

What a way to twist the truth.

I'll say this. Mark and I aren't friends. We've talked on here and we've met twice at our LCS for about ten minutes each time so I have no reason to be biased but he DEFINITELY doesn't strike me as that type a guy. The opposite if anything. Meeting him, you definitely walk away thinking he's a nice guy so I think that's you're definitely wrong.

Even without the agreement on exchange, wouldn't almost all of you be upset that you can't get a call back for over a week for over a grand? Comic dealers make that much nowadays that a grand for 30 minutes work isn't worth the effort??? I'm in the wrong line of work if that's true. I just don't understand how you don't call a guy back who wants to spend money. That's the only thing bothering me, imdont care about any of the other stuff.

Thanks Sufunk. I think lots of people on this forum can attest to the fact I've bought my share of comics and I'm a nice guy about it. I'm not some guy who buys 1 $100 comic in 2 years.

Well when you posted immediately that it was insulting to you that someone else could reach Jamie and you couldn't that it was more semantics that we were hanging on than anything else.

You asked him how he could do it and you could not. Well if he knows Jamie, and has called Jamie's cell before there's a good chance that Jamie will have his name stored and see it in his call log and try to get back to him. Whereas, you got the number from a third party, he has no idea what you number is and probably won't call back a random number not knowing who it is.

Do you really believe what you typed? I left a Vmail on his cell and multiple messages for him at his store. That's not enough to know who I am?

Thanks Sufunk. I think lots of people on this forum can attest to the fact I've bought my share of comics and I'm a nice guy about it. I'm not some guy who buys 1 $100 comic in 2 years.
lol Actually to THIS particular dealer you ARE "some guy you bought a $100 comic" - I saw it in the for sale forums (bumped it for ya - (thumbs u)

The fact that you choose to now differentiate yourself and raise your own customer service expectations based on what you spend or in this case planned to spend is a wee bit arrogant.

Maybe you and Sufunk can join us common people soon.

You're kidding, right?

I actually had $1,000 in my pocket to buy more comics.

.I did say I was willing to buy more comics and even gave the guy several comics on my want list.

Plus, I said I was willing to buy other comics...still no call back.

Did you also see where I said I offered to buy more comics when I got there? Also when I left messages with the store I gave the guy my want list for JIMs. Still no call back.

What he failed to care about is I buy a lot of stuff.

he didn't give a care in the world I was coming with money to buy more comics from him and stated so to his employee John.

You're upset because, according to you, Jamie Graham didn't care that you were "coming with money to buy more comics from him".

It doesn't matter that Jamie might have had a prior engagement, some urgent business with one of his stores, or that he might have just plain ol' forgotten that he was supposed to meet some random guy who was returning a book said random guy bought by mistake. No, Jamie is definitely working overtime to avoid both you & your bulging money-sack. Why? Because $1,000 is chump change to a snarling, rude & shady guy like him. A pox on you and your JIM want-list!

Please I managed to stay out of this,but if you spend 2.00 or 5.00 or 5000.00 dollars you should get the same type of customer service.I am sorry if your running a customer based business and you treat a customer as if he does'nt matter,you should find another type of business.

lol Actually to THIS particular dealer you ARE "some guy you bought a $100 comic" - I saw it in the for sale forums (bumped it for ya - (thumbs u)

The fact that you choose to now differentiate yourself and raise your own customer service expectations based on what you spend or in this case planned to spend is a wee bit arrogant.

Maybe you and Sufunk can join us common people soon.

Go read the post that Flying Donut posted. In it, John from Graham Cracker Comics said they didn't want to do anything for the guy with the trimmed comic because it was 2 years later and the guy only bought 1 comic for $100 in 2 years.

That's what I was referring to. I'll accept your apology now.

It doesn't matter what I was spending is the point....but I was prepared to spend up to $1,000 plus the exhange of the comic for a JIM 83. He missed his chance to maybe make a deal.

You're kidding, right?

.I did say I was willing to buy more comics and even gave the guy several comics on my want list.

Did you also see where I said I offered to buy more comics when I got there? Also when I left messages with the store I gave the guy my want list for JIMs. Still no call back.

he didn't give a care in the world I was coming with money to buy more comics from him and stated so to his employee John.

You're upset because, according to you, Jamie Graham didn't care that you were "coming with money to buy more comics from him".

It doesn't matter that Jamie might have had a prior engagement, some urgent business with one of his stores, or that he might have just plain ol' forgotten that he was supposed to meet some random guy who was returning a book said random guy bought by mistake. No, Jamie is definitely working overtime to avoid both you & your bulging money-sack. Why? Because $1,000 is chump change to a snarling, rude & shady guy like him. A pox on you and your JIM want-list!

Sir, you are a clown.

He didn't have a prior commitment. He decided not to come back because he told everyone at the show it was a bust for him. In fact before I left on Sat after I bought the books from him he said this would be his last Supercon because it wasn't good for him. He moaned about the show to everyone around him. I had a dealer pass and spoke to everyone....

It might not have been a bust if he actually talked to people and maybe if he showed up on the third day when people might be willing to wheel and deal. And I'm the one with the problem according to you.

You are making leaps and jumps to anything that suits your agenda but others here who have some rational thoughts in their heads know what's up. I am upset because I was lied to. I was told I could make the exchange, Jamie would be there, after I called was told I would have a call back. NONE OF THAT HAS OCCURED. IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOUR BRAIN TO COMPREHEND?

And yet, since I have posted this....still no PM from Jamie....no word from anyone. Even after knowing I am in the market for a JIM 83 among others. I even sent PMs to many dealers on this board asking about buying a JIM 83.

Say whatever you want...you clearly have a thing for GCC. Enjoy their comics with a side of attitude.

Please I managed to stay out of this,but if you spend 2.00 or 5.00 or 5000.00 dollars you should get the same type of customer service.I am sorry if your running a customer based business and you treat a customer as if he does'nt matter,you should find another type of business.
Absolutely agree with the customer service failure - I take issue with someone stating they are not "some guy who spends $100" and expects better treatment because of it.

You're kidding, right?

Sir, you are a clown.

He didn't have a prior commitment. He decided not to come back because he told everyone at the show it was a bust for him. In fact before I left on Sat after I bought the books from him he said this would be his last Supercon because it wasn't good for him. He moaned about the show to everyone around him. I had a dealer pass and spoke to everyone....

It might not have been a bust if he actually talked to people and maybe if he showed up on the third day when people might be willing to wheel and deal. And I'm the one with the problem according to you.

You are making leaps and jumps to anything that suits your agenda but others here who have some rational thoughts in their heads know what's up.

And yet, since I have posted this....still no PM from Jamie....no word from anyone. Even after knowing I am in the market for a JIM 83 among others. I even sent PMs to many dealers on this board asking about buying a JIM 83.

Say whatever you want...you clearly have a thing for GCC. Enjoy their comics with a side of attitude.

And, you, sir, are an intolerable whiner with a hugely inflated sense of self-entitlement.

I'm sure those PMs will start flying in anytime now - just keep on mentioning that you're coming with money to buy more comics :thumbsup: