• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

I've texted back and forth with Jamie - he is/has going to reach out.

I texted him months ago to tell him his Blackhawks were going down.

:devil:

In my business, word of mouth is 10 times more important than advertising. Probably 75% of our business is referrals. Im scared to death NOT to kiss the of every client that walks in because you never know. That woman walking in may be the most popular woman on the block and if i make her happy, she'll have 20 of her friends come and join up also. I make sure to make EVERY single person that comes in my business happy if its humanly possible. some people you cant but you still have to try.

Comics is VERY similar. You never know if that person is going to just shuffle thru your boxes for 2 hours and spend $2 or if he is a whale who is going to eventually buy a AF15 from you. Thats why imo, you should NEVER be waiting 8 days to return a phone call to a customer (shrug)

I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't say I'm a whale, but I do shop regularly for comics and I'm real easy to keep as a customer. Do business with integrity, offer fair prices, give good customer service and engage in friendly conversation. Do these things and I will come back to you every single time.

Reminds me of my business. I own a gun store...our business is plagued by grumpy nasty humans who act like you spit in their face for merely walking in their store. My business has almost wiped out the competition in my city due to the simple practice of treating people how I wish to be treated. Sadly, in my many years of comic collecting, I find MOST of the comic dealers to be very much the same way as the gun dealers...looking down at you, acting as if they are better than you, acting as if they have done you a huge favor by selling you an over-priced or over-graded book. This is why I have been overly excited to find this message board and the high population of great sellers ( Silent Master, Dale, Bob ) and all around great enthusiasts.

I hope Mark1 gets his situation resolved and for Graham, the true test of a seller/dealer is how you handle a RETURN...I've made life long high volume customers by giving my customer(s) hassle free return ( when it is warranted ) and they tell everyone about me for that reason.

I've avoided posting thus far, but what is most important to me is how a dealer handles his mistakes. If he sells a book that has a hidden defect, or comes back with restoration, ect, ect.

I'm not all that concerned about how a seller handles a buyers mistake, especially when it is a week old and they are thousands of miles apart.

I'm curious how some of the other convention sellers would handle someone buying a book from you, deciding they no longer wanted it and then trying to return it.

Well, id say no matter what human factors are involved, after 4 phone calls you should get a return call before 8 days have elapsed from either Jamie or one of his 30+ employees. Even if its just a "jamies, sick, on vacation, busy etc but he knows about this and will get back to you when he can". Even that would usually smooth the situation and the person would be willing to wait longer. Being completely ignored and having no one call you back even for 8 days isnt acceptable in my book.

I probably wouldnt even wait 8 days but after 30 days?!? No question whatsoever ive have taken my business elsewhere and would not even consider doing business with someone who waited 30 days to get back to me.

And that is well within your rights. But on these boards we have a dedicated forum for complaints and guidelines. For me, I make up my mind much earlier then 30 days wether or not I will deal with a person after a deal that sours. I still wait the agreed upon 30 days to out them since a lot can happen in the meantime. Even if the issue is resolved to my satisfaction i still have the right not to do future business with that individual in the future.

Joey, your post is valid...for this forum only.

In the business world it's different.

Let's use you as an example. I sent some comics to you last year for a press. When I called you....you answered your phone. Or, you called me back in a timely manner.

If you had not called me back in 8 days and still haven't called back even after a thread like this pops up....I would never even consider doing business with you.

You run a business. Don't try to make this into some misunderstanding. Jamie has 9 stores. That's more than enough people in his camp to pick up a phone to a guy who IS WILLING TO BUY MORE COMICS FROM HIM.

I just don't get all these excuses from people who actually have a business.

The 30 days period here is so forum members can work it out and sometimes individuals go away, get sick, whatever...

Imagine trying to pull a 30 day waiting period on EBay or Amazon marketplace a few times. They would be suspended no questions asked. 30 day period to wait is a long time with USPS Priority mail flat rate anywhere in the USA with delivery confirmation. 2c

What I am curious about is the dollar amount involved here. Are we talking hundreds of dollars?

What I am curious about is the dollar amount involved here. Are we talking hundreds of dollars?

+1 im not really getting into this but if it were me even a $100 book i wouldnt drive 70 miles maybe a couple of hundred but anything less id just add it to the collection

It's the JIM #96 the OP is trying sell in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=227798&Number=4911135

If somebody had bought that book, that would be the cherry on top of this FUBAR sundae.

I'm going to buy it & then ask for a return.

If somebody had bought that book, that would be the cherry on top of this FUBAR sundae.

Is it because it's a duplicate?

Is it because it's a duplicate?

The entire internet will know why when I start a thread about the seller.

Who is now a dealer by way of selling that book.