• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I won't buy from Jamie Graham...and why I love these boards!

519 posts in this topic

This is interesting reading...glad the search function is working...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3693884&fpart=1

Did you bother reading the entire thread?

Does it matter?

lol

What is NOT ok with me is to tell me you'll be there tomorrow when you apparently have a decent idea you won't and then not returning multiple calls. That's not cool (thumbs u

Which is absolute & utter speculation on your part with zero basis in reality. But, hey, give Jamie a call - I'm sure he'll let you manage his calendar from now on :thumbsup:

Transplant said he immediately knew who this was from the description and that he "has an affinity for not showing up the last day of a show".

Is that not true?

Side note- it is interesting that most people who haven't filled out their location with "Illinois" agree with mark while those with Illinois as their location think he's being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and jamies a good guy hm

I have no idea what Mike's experiences are with which dealer's he's witnessed leave early from a show and which he has noted have stayed until the doors close on Sunday. So it might be true to him, but I have never seen it.

I have either been set up at, or attended something in the manner of 40 shows over the years, with a Graham Crackers booth present. I don't know when I have ever seen them not there on the last day.

On your side note, the people from Illinois probably have more experience dealing with Jamie, being that he has 9 stores and sets up at the shows here. That gives them perspective from which to speak in an educated manner. There are people with one experience here and there, one might be bad, and that's all they have to go on. People from Illinois may have decades of shopping in his stores, talking to him, dealing with him, and trading with him at conventions. If all of their opinions seem to go in a certain direction, and all those people have more experience with him, that may tell you something...or not...depending on your point of view.

Hey, to each his own. Personally, I don't think you should have to know someone for years on end to get the tiniest semblance of customer service. I guess after 10-20 years, his complete lack of customer service becomes a cute little side of him that some like but things like that me off to the 10th degree.

I work a 75 hour week at my business and I personally kiss the ENDLESSLY of every single person who comes into my studio from the second they enter to the second they leave for very simple reasons. The economy sucks, I have a TON of competition in the area and I value the business of every single person that steps thru the door. If they are choosing my studio over the various others in the area and giving me their hard earned money, I feel it's my duty to do everything humanly possible to make them happy and want to come back.

That might be why I never have to close shop a day early and not show up because business sucks hm

Hope the guy chose to do an exchange on another cgc slabbed book.

Had the same issue on some of my CGC SS books comming back restored, dealer who will not be named said tough no compensation from the RAW books he sold me...my solution put a big label on the book stating where I got the book from with the dealer name in big capital letters & posting it

It is an interesting read. I'd go to the end result, and read why there was a "problem", which went away.

For those who don't know, which I'm assuming is all of you, I am the co-owner of Graham Crackers Comics and I'm the guy who made the call on not refunding a two year old purchase.

I'm fairly shocked by the wide range of responses to this situation, but wanted to publicly clarify how/why I came about my decision, be it right or wrong in each of yours eyes.

We try our best to treat customers exactly how we feel we should be treated. I try and respond to e-mails as quickly as humanly possible - we prioritize problems with orders to the top of the 'to do" list and try and be as forthcoming and as honest (without being insulting) with each customer we deal with.

We do NOT TRIM comics, nor have we ever. Does a trimmed comic slip past us, absolutely this can happen, can a restored book slip past, yes. If someone ends up getting one from us that was not noted - we will of course allow them to return it within a reasonable amount of time.

DAVID OAKLEY purchased an FF #49 from us on eBay listed as VF 8.0 2nd app. Silver Surfer for $100.99 on December 7th, of 2007.

I felt 2 years later, after David had tried to sell the comic himself and had no luck and recently got it CGC'ed to see if that would help - it was no longer within any kind of fair statue of limitations. Can you return any items that cost $100 2 years later? You ipod freezes up on you 2 years later will someone take it back? You discover a crack in your Halmiton Star Trek collectors plate that you bought that you never noticed - can you return it for a full refund? Evidently a LOT of you feel the dealers should carry the burden of risk entirely, even if it's for 20 years - they should stand behind any book they sell and hope that each of the customers they deal with is honest.

It's a fair opinion, and I try and do that with any and all of our regular customers.

DAVID OKALEY bought 1 comic from me in the past 2 years off of eBay. And he didn't stop buying because he felt he got ripped off on a trimmed book - he only just discovered this 2 years later.

I had no way of knowing this was still our book, or as someone else pointed out if he wanted to clean it up himself with the trim job, tried to sell it and that wasn't working out, nor do I have access to eBay listings which may or may not have listed the books as trimmed in the description. Again, most of these are MOST LIKELY not the case. Just as I would hope more people would assume a dealer would MOST LIKELY not intentionally sell a trimmed book and then seemingly delight in his tricking someone into buying that book - yet so many people jump straight to that false assumption.

Right or wrong, I was the one that made the call that 2 years was too long to be held responsible and decide you want a refund for a book that you haven't had any luck selling or hasn't increased in value as much as you had hopped.

Though If David Oakley would like to exchange it for something else on our site or stores for that dollar amount, we'd be happy to accommodate him.

--John Robinson

GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS

16030 S. Lincoln Highway Suite #4

Plainfield, IL. 60586 USA

(815) 254-3410 <-- You can call and yell at me in person even!

http://www.grahamcrackers.com

twitter/gccomics

Please don't insert facts into a barbecue it's hard enough to keep the torches lite.

--John Robinson

GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS

twitter/gccomics

Interesting reply...

Is that the "Angry" John who took my info on Saturday and called me back telling me he talked to Jamie and Jamie said it was okay to drive back to the show on Sunday and exchange the JIM 96? The same guy I later talked to on July 5th and gave my JIM want list and still no call? I guess customers are lining up in Chicago to buy vintage comics because these guys are so busy that they can't call people back

Besides, not taking the trimmed comic back from that guy was a move and they only caved because it was posted on the forum. If it was $100 or $10,000 they sold a trimmed comic and should have been cool about it...in fact they got lucky it was only $100...seems like good business to just handle it and keep a customer for $100. Doesn't it?

The post reads like an open book if you've ever had dealings with him.

I know who it is and suffice to say I've never had a problem with him but understand why some people do. He's actually quite personable when you get to know him (as many people are) but has that grumpiness facade that turns a lot of people off initially.

lol

Sorry to hear you had a bad dealing with him.

:foryou:

Thanks Roy. I appreciate it. Would I be right that you've bought or did some big deals with this person?

The problem is he will only be "nice" to you if you are spending big money on his books. Try negotiating with him and you get the attitude.

Plus, anyone who runs a business and has a vmail that says what his says....is a total fool. I'm in sales for a living. If I treated my clients like that...i'd be broke and on the street.

I am sorry, but I have to say this: WHO CARES WHAT HE HAS ON HIS PERSONAL VOICE MAIL???

Key word being PERSONAL...

That number is not his store number and therefore he could put whatever he wants on it! And for those who know the man, take it as a joke! As for him not showing up at the show, so what! Did you, or anyone else who has something to say pay for his set-up? Perhaps the man had other things to do? Perhaps like you said "He was crying to everyone that the show was garbage" and therefore decided not to waste his time!

Really and truly, is it any of our business???

As for your $35 dollar refund... I would be willing to wager that not only would he have given you your money back, but would have probably told you to keep the book as well! PLUS, you even said it yourself... It was YOUR fault for buying something you already had! In all honesty, is that HIS fault? SHOULD he have HAD to be at the show the next day so that he could refund you your money?

Again, I normally never say a word, but I happen to think this man is actually a good guy who normally would give people the shirt off his back! Or better yet, $1000's of dollars in comics on the CUFF only for the person to sell, make large profits and take advantage of the man's true kindness and stall in paying him!

For everyone to be so "upset" at his PERSONAL voice mail is a joke! The dealer should never have given the man's personal number out in the first place! What he chooses to say is hie own business! That is precisely the reason he has 30+ employees... to deal with people on the STORES phone line, not his personal one!

Happy collecting everyone!

John (thumbs u

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3693884&fpart=1

Does it matter?

lol

You're right, even though I read it all it's still a damning thread against GCC with an ending that only happened because it was posted on the forum. Had the guy been some non forum member how would that have turned out? Nothing

--John Robinson

GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS

twitter/gccomics

Interesting reply...

Is that the "Angry" John who took my info on Saturday and called me back telling me he talked to Jamie and Jamie said it was okay to drive back to the show on Sunday and exchange the JIM 96? The same guy I later talked to on July 5th and gave my JIM want list and still no call? I guess customers are lining up in Chicago to buy vintage comics because these guys are so busy that they can't call people back

Besides, not taking the trimmed comic back from that guy was a move and they only caved because it was posted on the forum. If it was $100 or $10,000 they sold a trimmed comic and should have been cool about it...in fact they got lucky it was only $100...seems like good business to just handle it and keep a customer for $100. Doesn't it?

....SIGH....

I posted this evening earlier...that Angry John and John Robinson are two different people with one of the most common names in this hemisphere.

I don't want to slow down the roll you are on though. lol

Read that thread? He didn't read this thread - Rodan57 posted that link for him in this thread (retitled as "Trimming") telling him to read it at 8:13 tonight....

:makepoint:

Besides ranting and getting it off your chest, what's the point of this without said persons name? Are you afraid he/she might call you back? Wouldn't that solve one of your problems?

Actually to be honest, I just wanted to get it off my chest. At this point, the dealer could call me back and I'd hang up. If my post was the catalyst to making him call me back...I don't need it.

And, just wait...the name will come out....someone just PM'd me and guessed it right away. For many, it will be obvious.

pm sent

Does it matter?

lol

You're right, even though I read it all it's still a damning thread against GCC with an ending that only happened because it was posted on the forum. Had the guy been some non forum member how would that have turned out? Nothing

Since you are making predictions can I get tomorrow's lotto numbers? Also I am playing in a poker tourney next week, I will split the winnings if you sit next to me and gaze knowingly into the hearts and minds of the other players with similar aplomb.

Can't you see how silly this is getting is?

Dan offered to help you clear up this communication problem you are having, but you refused. It's obvious you just want to grind the axe and the search for a solution is a red herring.

The post reads like an open book if you've ever had dealings with him.

I know who it is and suffice to say I've never had a problem with him but understand why some people do. He's actually quite personable when you get to know him (as many people are) but has that grumpiness facade that turns a lot of people off initially.

lol

Sorry to hear you had a bad dealing with him.

:foryou:

Thanks Roy. I appreciate it. Would I be right that you've bought or did some big deals with this person?

The problem is he will only be "nice" to you if you are spending big money on his books. Try negotiating with him and you get the attitude.

Plus, anyone who runs a business and has a vmail that says what his says....is a total fool. I'm in sales for a living. If I treated my clients like that...i'd be broke and on the street.

I am sorry, but I have to say this: WHO CARES WHAT HE HAS ON HIS PERSONAL VOICE MAIL???

Key word being PERSONAL...

That number is not his store number and therefore he could put whatever he wants on it! And for those who know the man, take it as a joke! As for him not showing up at the show, so what! Did you, or anyone else who has something to say pay for his set-up? Perhaps the man had other things to do? Perhaps like you said "He was crying to everyone that the show was garbage" and therefore decided not to waste his time!

Really and truly, is it any of our business???

As for your $35 dollar refund... I would be willing to wager that not only would he have given you your money back, but would have probably told you to keep the book as well! PLUS, you even said it yourself... It was YOUR fault for buying something you already had! In all honesty, is that HIS fault? SHOULD he have HAD to be at the show the next day so that he could refund you your money?

Again, I normally never say a word, but I happen to think this man is actually a good guy who normally would give people the shirt off his back! Or better yet, $1000's of dollars in comics on the CUFF only for the person to sell, make large profits and take advantage of the man's true kindness and stall in paying him!

For everyone to be so "upset" at his PERSONAL voice mail is a joke! The dealer should never have given the man's personal number out in the first place! What he chooses to say is hie own business! That is precisely the reason he has 30+ employees... to deal with people on the STORES phone line, not his personal one!

Happy collecting everyone!

John (thumbs u

(thumbs u Right back at ya and That's not the nice one either

His vmail is just one example of his curmudgeon being and how he sits at cons snarling at customers and how he didn't give a care in the world I was coming with money to buy more comics from him and stated so to his employee John. I don't care who you are...your post is ridiculous. Any business owner who cares about his business and customers would never treat people like he does.

And if his mail is a joke, why didn't he just call me back after I left a nice vmail asking to discuss what we could do?

What is NOT ok with me is to tell me you'll be there tomorrow when you apparently have a decent idea you won't and then not returning multiple calls. That's not cool (thumbs u

Which is absolute & utter speculation on your part with zero basis in reality. But, hey, give Jamie a call - I'm sure he'll let you manage his calendar from now on :thumbsup:

Transplant said he immediately knew who this was from the description and that he "has an affinity for not showing up the last day of a show".

Is that not true?

Side note- it is interesting that most people who haven't filled out their location with "Illinois" agree with mark while those with Illinois as their location think he's being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and jamies a good guy hm

I have no idea what Mike's experiences are with which dealer's he's witnessed leave early from a show and which he has noted have stayed until the doors close on Sunday. So it might be true to him, but I have never seen it.

I have either been set up at, or attended something in the manner of 40 shows over the years, with a Graham Crackers booth present. I don't know when I have ever seen them not there on the last day.

On your side note, the people from Illinois probably have more experience dealing with Jamie, being that he has 9 stores and sets up at the shows here. That gives them perspective from which to speak in an educated manner. There are people with one experience here and there, one might be bad, and that's all they have to go on. People from Illinois may have decades of shopping in his stores, talking to him, dealing with him, and trading with him at conventions. If all of their opinions seem to go in a certain direction, and all those people have more experience with him, that may tell you something...or not...depending on your point of view.

Hey, to each his own. Personally, I don't think you should have to know someone for years on end to get the tiniest semblance of customer service. I guess after 10-20 years, his complete lack of customer service becomes a cute little side of him that some like but things like that me off to the 10th degree.

I didn't want you to miss the point of what I was saying. I wasn't saying you have to know him for decades to get service. I am saying the people that have extensive dealing with him over a long period of time seem to be imparting a certain pattern that, given the frequency and breadth of the experiences, would be more valuable than a one off experience here and there as a measure of the business.

I work a 75 hour week at my business and I personally kiss the ENDLESSLY of every single person who comes into my studio from the second they enter to the second they leave for very simple reasons. The economy sucks, I have a TON of competition in the area and I value the business of every single person that steps thru the door. If they are choosing my studio over the various others in the area and giving me their hard earned money, I feel it's my duty to do everything humanly possible to make them happy and want to come back.

That might be why I never have to close shop a day early and not show up because business sucks hm

Wait, what kind of studio?

I thought you were an attorney? Was that just in the past?

Do you do something creative now? That's the dream of all practicing attorney's, I know.

Does it matter?

lol

Since you are making predictions can I get tomorrow's lotto numbers? Also I am playing in a poker tourney next week, I will split the winnings if you sit next to me and gaze knowingly into the hearts and minds of the other players with similar aplomb.

Dan offered to help you clear up this communication problem you are having, but you refused. It's obvious you just want to grind the axe and the search for a solution is a red herring.

When did I refuse? I asked him some questions I have yet to see answers. Its only been a few hours....I haven't refused anything

Seriously, to call someone shady over this is ridiculous. It implies dishonesty.

While it sucks that you had to drive for no reason, have you ever tried to do a show 1000 miles away from home? You expect him to coordinate with a store employee from 1000 miles away on a weekend? And people leave shows for a lot of reasons, especially when it's perfectly clear that nothing can happen that can possibly make the time away from family and business worthwhile. That's inconvenient, not shady.

I posted this earlier in the thread...Also everyone wants to jump on the word shady...To me it implies someone I don't trust. I'm a man of my word. Many board members here have dealt with me. I ask anyone to chime in here and say differently. I expect others to be the same when doing business. They called me back and said to go back to the show and exchange the comic. Then no calls at all despite several calls being nice to the guys too. Seems shady to me.

Apparently the word shady has different connotations for different people. I agree with Mark on this one. For me shady insinuates lacking of trust in someone. If I spot a bunch of hoodlums conjugated outside a convenience store at 2 in the morning I would consider that to be shady, which invokes a lack of trust. I think Jamie's actions can be indicative of "shadiness". I certainly would feel a lack of assurance with everything Mark has stated.

Does it matter?

lol

When did I refuse? I asked him some questions I have yet to see answers. Its only been a few hours....I haven't refused anything

Well when you posted immediately that it was insulting to you that someone else could reach Jamie and you couldn't that it was more semantics that we were hanging on than anything else.

You asked him how he could do it and you could not. Well if he knows Jamie, and has called Jamie's cell before there's a good chance that Jamie will have his name stored and see it in his call log and try to get back to him. Whereas, you got the number from a third party, he has no idea what you number is and probably won't call back a random number not knowing who it is.