• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evil Dead remake? Say it aint so!!

35 posts in this topic

What about the upcoming The Thing preboot?

Prequel?

Never was into The Thing that much, but I think prequels are kind of a cool idea

Yes,The Thing prequel takes place before the events of the 1982 movie.

Link

Got no problem with that one and lets remember Carpenter's Thing was a remake itself that I believe improved on the original.

The 1982 remake is on my top ten favorite Sci-fi movies :)

Prequel?

Never was into The Thing that much, but I think prequels are kind of a cool idea

Link

Got no problem with that one and lets remember Carpenter's Thing was a remake itself that I believe improved on the original.

It didn't really improve on the original. The original remains one of the truly classic 50's sci-fi films. Carpenter's DID adhere more closely to the Campbell's 1938 story WHO GOES THERE with the characters and the alien's abilities..

Interestingly the concept of a prequel to the Carpenter film is pretty interesting, as Ed Wood might say.

Carpenter did not portray how the alien got to earth in the first place, or how it was discovered. The 50s film actually DID adhere to the original story in those aspects.

So a prequel would be an opportunity to retain the Carpenter version but allow it to get the rest (the first part) of the story right.

Another factoid from Pov's Boring Factoids LTD

Prequel?

Link

Why was it good? Because it was able to do the short story justice. The b&w version was a silly movie (when the alien was on-screen) because they didn't have the special effects to pull off what the events from the story. One of my favourite all-time sci-fi horror stories. (thumbs u

Instead of a shape-changing alien entity, we had Frankenstein's long-forgotten brother...

I can't believe some of these remakes that they come out with. What ever happened to the word CLASSIC?

Do you know there are plans to do a remake of these classic films...

Footloose

Gone With The Wind

Wizard Of Oz

Spider-Man

The Thing (Carpenters version)

THEM!

The 3 Stooges

Most of these are already in the works.

Whenever I see some remake I am usually disappointed with how they portray things in the story. They change it so much and its usually nothing like the original. I can't remember many remakes that I actually liked.

Instead of a shape-changing alien entity, we had Frankenstein's long-forgotten brother...

Frankenstein was the doctor. The monster was referred to as "the monster" or "Frankenstein's monster".

Another bit of boring trivia from Pov's Boring Trivia LTD

I can't believe some of these remakes that they come out with. What ever happened to the word CLASSIC?

Do you know there are plans to do a remake of these classic films...

Footloose

Gone With The Wind

Wizard Of Oz

Spider-Man

The Thing (Carpenters version)

THEM!

The 3 Stooges

Most of these are already in the works.

Whenever I see some remake I am usually disappointed with how they portray things in the story. They change it so much and its usually nothing like the original. I can't remember many remakes that I actually liked.

The Thing IS NOT!! a remake but rather a prequel.

The producers convinced Universal Studios to allow them to create a prequel to

John Carpenter's The Thing instead of a remake, as they felt Carpenter's film was

already perfect, so making a remake would be like "painting a mustache on the

Mona Lisa". However, the prequel still has the title of the original film, because

they couldn't think of a subtitle (for example, "The Thing: Begins") that sounded good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

If they try to actually remake a classic, trying to keep it close to the original, I ask myself "Why, Pov? Why do they do this?"

A good example of epic fail was the very literal remake of PSYCHO in 1998.

I think I'd rather stick with the original and see someone present a re-interpretation, if they feel the need to redo a film.

Sometimes, though, the remake is superior. THE MALTESE FALCON was first made in 1931 (sometimes listed as DANGEROUS FEMALE). Both had similar characters and both relied heavily on the original dialogue from Hammett's novel. But the 1941 Bogart remake was not only superior but often cited as one of the films defining film noir.

Predators was a surprisingly good flick/sequel/remake.

I was astonished by how well it mirrored the originals, but with a different (more interesting) cast.

Especially after the garbage that was Predator II and AVP 1-2.

The wife and I went to see Bad Teacher (please no comments, she's a school admin lol) and they showed a trailer were a bunch of kids are partying and then go driving and all die in a crash. Next scene the public bans dancing. I turn and whisper "This sounds just like Footloose." Next thing you know a new kid moves into town, starts dancing with the hot girls, teaches the school jock how to dance (in the hall, no less), and starts dancing in an abanded factory. Then, mr trailer voice hits you with "FOOTLOOSE". My wife and I look at each other astounded. I had no idea.

I was astonished by how well it mirrored the originals, but with a different (more interesting) cast.

I preferred PRED II over PREDATORS... (shrug)

I have not seen PREDATORS so I can't say but what I really liked about PREDATOR II were the glimpses we had of the Predators' history and society. Seeing the group of predators, seeing the dueling pistol, how they took up their dead - all very interesting.

And overall I just liked it.

I have not seen PREDATORS so I can't say but what I really liked about PREDATOR II were the glimpses we had of the Predators' history and society. Seeing the group of predators, seeing the dueling pistol, how they took up their dead - all very interesting.

And overall I just liked it.

And the ALIEN skull in the trophy case!!! :headbang: Buuuuuut they had to go ruin it with the AVP movies...