• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How important is it to you?

40 posts in this topic

When you get a sketch done on a blank cover for your collection, how important is it to you to match up the character to the book (ie Spider-man sketch on an ASM blank)? Would you get a sketch of Wolverine done on an ASM blank or a Thor sketch on an X-Men blank for instance? And would you hesitate to buy a book from the boards or ebay that has a character sketched on the cover that has nothing to do with the book?

I don't mind in the least. When this whole thing started it was on Fallen Sons. The SI and so on. I never wanted to stick with the "theme" of the book, but rather saw them as blank canvasses for artists to work on. I respect everyone that does think it is important, and that is cool, but it matters not a whit to me.

With all the options that are out there now, it is a lot easier to match the art to the blank.

For me its very important. I try to keep a theme going with each sketch cover especially now with all the choices in blanks that are out there!

(I am though down to less then 10 blanks for both Marvels Projects and Fallen Son which I am always on the hunt for)

For me its very important. I try to keep a theme going with each sketch cover especially now with all the choices in blanks that are out there!

(I am though down to less then 10 blanks for both Marvels Projects and Fallen Son which I am always on the hunt for)

I like to have a theme or idea as well. To each his own though.

I try to keep a connection to the book, but if I can't, I can't. I'm still getting Fallen Sons every chance I get, but with fewer people taking sketch requests on the boards, I'm pretty limited as to who I can get on them.

[font:Book Antiqua]

For me is important...

I am still waiting for a blank DC

so I could get a DC Character.

It’s a little frustrating

when I see a Batman or Joker sketch

in a Fallen Son or Secret Invasion Cover...[/font]

:frustrated:

For those that do follow a theme, I think its important to note that nobody has the right to "call dibs" on a theme they chose; claiming it is theirs and theirs alone and accuse or speak negatively about anyone else who gets similar sketches as stealing their idea.

NYComics felt the need to call me at work a few min ago and accuse me of stealing his and other board members theme ideas. He specifically called me out cause I collect Spider-man Sketches on the ASM blank (some contain a city background) and that was HIS idea and nobody can copy it, or if they do give him credit for that idea. How ridiculous is that? Yes Sean Spider-man on a Spider-man blank swinging in NYC is a unique and ground breaking idea, nobody will come up with doing that as a theme. :tonofbricks:

Let me guess Sean you are going "call" Ghost Rider sketches on the Ghost Rider blanks OR maybe Captain America sketches on the new Captain America blanks?

For those that do follow a theme, I think its important to note that nobody has the right to "call dibs" on a theme they chose; claiming it is theirs and theirs alone and accuse or speak negatively about anyone else who gets similar sketches as stealing their idea.

lolyou could try to be original

NYComics felt the need to call me at work a few min ago and accuse me of stealing his and other board members theme ideas. He specifically called me out cause I collect Spider-man Sketches on the ASM blank (some contain a city background) and that was HIS idea and nobody can copy it, or if they do give him credit for that idea. How ridiculous is that? Yes Sean Spider-man on a Spider-man blank swinging in NYC is a unique and ground breaking idea, nobody will come up with doing that as a theme. :tonofbricks:

lolyou specifically started copying me and secretson's ideas and then you post about this theme stuff, oh and I never asked for credit so keep on writing it so it sounds like i am a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed lol

Let me guess Sean you are going "call" Ghost Rider sketches on the Ghost Rider blanks OR maybe Captain America sketches on the new Captain America blanks?

actually that is really very general.........that sort of statement is very childish, makes no sense, and does not apply to why you received a phone call.

THE REAL reason is because you get stuff to specifically go to ebay. (Cosmic cube/red skull+Spidey NYC buildings) So when someone like me or other boardmembers who work on our themes and don't have huge ebay stores go to cons and try to get new sketches we do not like getting asked "oh are ya just going to sell it on ebay." "I thought I did so and so sketch for you it just ended up on ebay."

Personally I called you to share an opinion....I find it interesting how you run to the boards in an attempt to out or embarrass me.

Sorry for any thread derailment.

My opinion with the new blanks is that it is good to get characters appropriate.

I have a ton of sketches on incorrect blanks now and I feel like I am starting all over again with all these new covers ya know? :tonofbricks:

lolyou could try to be original

NYComics felt the need to call me at work a few min ago and accuse me of stealing his and other board members theme ideas. He specifically called me out cause I collect Spider-man Sketches on the ASM blank (some contain a city background) and that was HIS idea and nobody can copy it, or if they do give him credit for that idea. How ridiculous is that? Yes Sean Spider-man on a Spider-man blank swinging in NYC is a unique and ground breaking idea, nobody will come up with doing that as a theme.

lolyou specifically started copying me and secretson's ideas and then you post about this theme stuff, oh and I never asked for credit so keep on writing it so it sounds like i am a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed lol

actually that is really very general.........that sort of statement is very childish, makes no sense, and does not apply to why you received a phone call.

THE REAL reason is because you get stuff to specifically go to ebay. (Cosmic cube/red skull+Spidey NYC buildings) So when someone like me or other boardmembers who work on our themes and don't have huge ebay stores go to cons and try to get new sketches we do not like getting asked "oh are ya just going to sell it on ebay." "I thought I did so and so sketch for you it just ended up on ebay."

:flamed:

Sorry for any thread derailment.

My opinion with the new blanks is that it is good to get characters appropriate.

I have a ton of sketches on incorrect blanks now and I feel like I am starting all over again with all these new covers ya know? :tonofbricks:

Link to Sean's ebay listing with most being sketches

Sean's Sketches on eBay

Anybody know where the hypocrite smiley is?

Also I would guess the same would ring true if anyone brought a sketch cover with Stan Lees autograph on the side to an artist to sketch. The artist would immediately think it was you Sean since nobody in their right mind would want to keep a sketch with Stan's signature on it. Aren't you also the one who was trying to sell a Punisher sketch by John Romita here on the boards for over $1000 doh!

you make no point.

so what I sold some old books...........drumroll please........

so I would have more $$ to get the correct characters on their correct blanks!

Like I said I feel like I am re-building my sketch collection from scratch. plus people got great deals on those books. I started them super low with no reserve. w/e dude

if you would like to continue arguing lets not do it in this guy's thread, show some respect.

:popcorn:

I'd say it's important to me.

I have two favorites in my collection:

1. Fallen Son by Andrew Mangum. I saw him at WWChicago in 2007 and this was the first sketch cover he had seen. He wanted to draw Wolverine, but I asked nicely if he could do a Captain America.

HPIM0601.jpg

2. Dark Avengers cover by Doug Mahnke. Doom is my favorite character, and he is in this book standing in almost this exact pose. There's a scene where they take a shot at a scene from Iron Man...it's hysterical.

DoomDarkAvengers.jpg

So, I like to have books where the character on the cover is at least in the book.

I would say that the wealth of blanks out there make this easier...unless you are a DC fan... :sorry:

I have quite a few sketches with just DC characters on Marvel blanks. :sorry:

I would love to be able to stick to a certain theme but being a DC fan I am pretty much out of luck.

I might have a harder time selling them down the road if I do end up selling them. I got them for my collection and do not have any desire to sell them right now.