• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I sent of my Walking Dead #1 to joeypost today for pressing...

509 posts in this topic

Yay! Another noob restoring his comic books! :banana:

Is pressing restoration? I'd like some opinions on this matter.

Of course it's not.

As someone who has pressed several hundred books, it's not too terribly different from putting a book under a stack of encyclopedias for a couple months. The heat element simply speeds the process up.

Since there's no detectable difference between "natural pressing" and "artifical pressing", and when done properly, it does become nearly impossible to detect ANY pressing, the market has, rightfully, determined it is not restoration.

Next.

(Yay! A PRESSING thread! :cloud9: )

I just sent Joe 30 GA books for pressing (1st time ever doing this) and 90% of them were pedigrees, over $3k worth. So I wouldn't worry.

:frustrated::makepoint:

don't worry, most likely they were already pressed before I bought them. Does it make me evil for doing it again?

Double presser!

Wow, it was so nice of you to start this thread for you and Joey.

And it was so nice of you to spend your personal time gracing this thread with your presence. <3

No problem. Good luck with the book.

And it was so nice of you to spend your personal time gracing this thread with your presence. <3

Much obliged!

In all seriousness, though. Did I violate some sort of sacred board etiquette by sharing this in the General forum?

Much obliged!

In all seriousness, though. Did I violate some sort of sacred board etiquette by sharing this in the General forum?

Nope!

Yay! Another noob restoring his comic books! :banana:

Is pressing restoration? I'd like some opinions on this matter.

Of course it's not.

As someone who has pressed several hundred books, it's not too terribly different from putting a book under a stack of encyclopedias for a couple months. The heat element simply speeds the process up.

Since there's no detectable difference between "natural pressing" and "artifical pressing", and when done properly, it does become nearly impossible to detect ANY pressing, the market has, rightfully, determined it is not restoration.

Next.

(Yay! A PRESSING thread! :cloud9: )

And in one fell swoop, RMA declares Overstreet (the hobby's 40 year authority), half the CGC boards (a reasonably knowledgeable bunch), Susan Ciccone (the hobby's foremost restoration expert) and the English language wrong.

Bravo, sir! :applause:

Alright a pressing thread. It's been so long since one has been posted. I mean all the excitement we've had are dealer complaint threads from some tools (me included) lol

My opinion....Pressing is restoration because you are trying to "restore" the comic to it's original condition. I like to actually call it "deception" because most of the time it isn't disclosed (except these boards)

I've come to the conclusion I will probably only press a comic when it has serious issues like water rippling or crumpling without color breaks, etc. The minor stuff just isn't my cup of tea to get the grade bump (unless it's a very expensive comic).

My fear of pressing is the long term effects on the paper quality and the comic might go back to it's non pressed condition.

This thread has WIN all over it. :headbang:

Well chosen bababooey. That last line "In the name of God now I know what it feels like to BE God" was censored, and cut fomr master prints, after the original 1931 showing. It was restored in 1999, following the discovery of a good quality soundtrack and the 1999 DVD release of some of the restored Universal Monster films..

Well chosen bababooey. That last line "In the name of God now I know what it feels like to BE God" was censored, and cut fomr master prints, after the original 1931 showing. It was restored in 1999, following the discovery of a good quality soundtrack and the 1999 DVD release of some of the restored Universal Monster films..

Unihorror :cloud9:

Alright a pressing thread. It's been so long since one has been posted. I mean all the excitement we've had are dealer complaint threads from some tools (me included) lol

My opinion....Pressing is restoration because you are trying to "restore" the comic to it's original condition. I like to actually call it "deception" because most of the time it isn't disclosed (except these boards)

I've come to the conclusion I will probably only press a comic when it has serious issues like water rippling or crumpling without color breaks, etc. The minor stuff just isn't my cup of tea to get the grade bump (unless it's a very expensive comic).

My fear of pressing is the long term effects on the paper quality and the comic might go back to it's non pressed condition.

This thread has WIN all over it. :headbang:

lol coming from a guy who bought nothing but pressed books from Doug.

Pressing is not restoration, does CGC give it a purple label?

Yeah! They are the bee's knees! (thumbs u

I will watch one now. So many to choose from!

Yeah! They are the bee's knees! (thumbs u

I will watch one now. So many to choose from!

If it were me, I'd watch BoF. Haven't seen in a good stretch

Here's what CGC has to say about it.

Restoration is treatment intended to return a comic book to a known or assumed state by adding non-original material. Detected restoration is always disclosed on the CGC certification label. Non-additive procedures, such as pressing, dry cleaning and tape removal, are not classified as restoration by CGC. Trimmed books are given an apparent grade, and, in accordance with CGC's policy, are encapsulated with CGC's restored label. Learn more about comic book restoration.

Whether or not pressing is "restoration" really comes down to individual perspective - mainly - how do you define restoration?

Out of context the term itself does not have negative connotation. Generally "restoring" something is considered a good thing. But in the context of comic books the term has negative meaning associated with the PLOD slabs. In that context the term itself (restoration) is a misnomer. You are NOT restoring a comic back to its original state when you trim it, add color to it, add filler paper, etc. But arguably when you press a comic you really are "restoring" it.

So then we get caught arguing back and forth about defining something as restoration - when in reality both sides are right. It really depends on perspective.

i just got to say....it's about time that we have a pressing debate again. feels like an eternity since the last one.

Honestly I think CGC should have adopted the tried and true industry standards for coin grading (ala their NGC division).

Problem coins are given a grade with a "Details" designation.

VF-35 Details

(Corrosion)

Or

VF-35 Details

(Cleaned)

How about

9.0 Details

(Slight Color Touch)

?

Interestingly NCS is a division of NGC/CGC who actually does professional coin restoration, purportedly in a manner that is undetectable.