• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever attend a fine art exhibit on opening night?

13 posts in this topic

I am a fan of fine art. My favorite artist is heading over to Los Angeles for a show with two other artists. One of whom I'm also a big fan of, the other I'm not familiar with. The artist I am mainly interested in is from Europe and only seems to do a US show every couple years, alternating between L.A. and New York. So this may be the only chance I have for the next four years to see the art in person and possibly meet the artist. I have never been to such a thing and am so terribly nervous I'm not sure I'll go. I don't know the etiquette or what to expect at the event :(

Relax, Have a cpl glasses of cheap wine and all will be well. Have a great time, enjoy the art and the fact that you are meeting someone whose work you appreciate. Make sure you take the opportunity to tell him so and take a pic. Corny but fun

I had been to many openings when I was living in Boston. Even helped set a few up. I second all of the above. Just enjoy the wine and the the cheese plates and be yourself. I always dressed casually. The range of dress by the attendees was fun: from near formal attire to jeans.

Quick art anecdote to follow:

When I was about 10 my parents took me to the Guggenheim. I was more interested in the building than the paintings but my father persisted.

After about 30 minutes we get to a spot where there are a group of people crowded around one painting. The painting is the Japanese flag. (shrug) Huge white canvas with a large painted red dot in the middle. The things these azzmonkeys were saying blew my mind. How it represented life and struggle. :blahblah:

From the tender age of 10 I realized that most people were stupid, especially the pretentious art idjiots, and will do and say anything to fit in. So Dupont, I hope you went to this opening and represented these boards in a manner befitting a comic book collector! :lol: You have nothing to fear, 99% of the people there are pathetic and boring, so have fun, eat their cheap cheese, drink their boxed wine, and steal their unfulfilled and vapid trophy wives. (thumbs u I mean come on, chicks dig guys who dig Spiderman.