• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Glub Glub Club - Drowning in underwater covers

48 posts in this topic

Like a few people I've seen here, my collecting focus follows a visual theme, underwater covers. I've never really liked being underwater, especially dark water. For some reason the thought of something attacking me from below is just the most unbearable and terrifying thought ever. I've also convinced myself that sharks could be anywhere.

When I started picking up comics I just bought stuff I wanted to read, mostly late SA/early BA horror, romance, and gothic romance(cause they make me laugh). I noticed that the underwater covers I randomly stumbled upon really grabbed hold of me. I started actively looking and realized that this was it. This is what I need to collect. I have just over 100 right now. I'm planning on slowing down the purchases a bit to ensure that I pick up books that fit, that I want to own, and that present well.

I'm making this journal mostly for me as a visual record of what I have and how it fits into my focus. Hopefully I can present some interesting books in a way that people don't see very often.

For now, I'll just post a few books to show the range of what I think fits in my focus.

Showcase87.jpgJungleJim5.jpgPlasticMan40-1.jpgPorkyPig51.jpgSubbyDepths2.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for the interest!

So, one thing I've noticed about collecting on a theme as opposed to more conventional approaches to the hobby (title/character/artist) is that there are certain books that don't really fit in most traditional collections that fit perfectly in mine. These books can be real gems for a theme collector because the low demand means you can get a beautiful example of a book at a relatively affordable price. It just so happens I got one of those books in the mail today! Thanks to Snake Eyes for this one:

GreatComics1.jpg

This was in a CGC 8.5 WHITE slab. I don't have any desire to have my personal books slabbed so I happily liberated this one. It's a gorgeous book, and it will probably be among the top books in my collection for a long time. I really love that I can get such a great book, from 1945, in this condition, with this pq, for under $200.

One step closer to the LB Cole underwater set!

I'll be honest, I'm generally not a fan of Marvel covers. Something about them is just not attractive. Maybe it's the colors, maybe the drawings just seem a little bit unsophisticated compared to other publishers. Regardless, I pick them up on the cheap when I see them because they do fit in my focus, luckily I've only found one key that crosses over into my territory (Daredevil 7).

Here are some cheap Marvels. Lower grade because I don't care to pay for anything more:

th_Conan32.jpgth_Conan136.jpgth_NewMutants76.jpgth_MCPWolverine7FC.jpgth_IronMan175.jpg

th_DoctorStrange69.jpgth_Submariner2.jpgth_SubMariner5.jpgth_MarvelTwoInOne65.jpgth_MsMarvel16.jpg

th_Daredevil81.jpgth_CapAmerica360.jpgth_ManFromAtlantis1.jpg

Not sure if you collect for the back cover or not, but figured you might want to see this one anyway. It is the back cover for Cherry's Jubilee #4...

Very cool! I'm close to a full run of Cherrys anyways, might have to pick up two copies of that one.