• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midnight showing of Captain America - The First Avenger

98 posts in this topic

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Don't expect much from this one.

I just got back from seeing the midnight showing of Captain America, and was very disappointed. After 20 years of waiting, I was not delivered the quality product that I envisioned. I do not think any aspect of the movie was done particularly well. I'd give it a 4/10.

Could you go into more detail? You're the third person (out of about 20) that I've talked to who didn't like it, but wouldn't give me a reason why. I'm not even being a jerk about it, I really just want to know why.

The movie was great. Def better the Green Lantern. It had more heart, and Evans did a great job as Cap. Tommy Lee Jones was also great, as was Hugo Weaving. The Howling Commandos looked like their comic book counterparts, and the plot was easy to follow, without too many snags.

Just got back from the movie. I was satisfied but I'll be honest I was expecting more. I guess I fell into "It needs to be as good as Iron Man". I really wanted to be blown away. Don't get me wrong... I did like it but I was expecting more. More development of the Howling Commandos and I was hoping for a more climatic final battle between Cap and the Red Skull.... infact all the battles could have been a bit more epic.

Visually the characters all looked super sweet though and I still very much dig the costume.

Overall I rank em:

1. Xmen FC

2. Thor

3. Captain America

4. Green Lantern

That being said the after credits footage gave me goosebumps!!

Avengers Assemble!

I was excited to see it and didn't like it that much. The beginning of the movie was great, I really liked seeing him as tiny Steve Rogers. The buildup until he got the Super Soldier serum was exciting then after that it just seemed to go downhill. Action was eh at best and it just seemed to be going through the motions without much thought behind it at that point. Didn't like the Red Skull at all either. Obviously really cheesy (but that's Captain America) so if you don't like that you won't like the movie either.

Anyway I thought Thor was the best comic movie this year by far, kept things fun and interesting throughout the whole movie with some actual plot and character development.

You seem to have become a bit of a snob when it comes to comic movies recently. :baiting:

Could you go into more detail? You're the third person (out of about 20) that I've talked to who didn't like it, but wouldn't give me a reason why. I'm not even being a jerk about it, I really just want to know why.

The movie was great. Def better the Green Lantern. It had more heart, and Evans did a great job as Cap. Tommy Lee Jones was also great, as was Hugo Weaving. The Howling Commandos looked like their comic book counterparts, and the plot was easy to follow, without too many snags.

Everything seemed generic. Red Skull and Hydra looked goofy. What was with the generic Hydra laser guns? Red Skull should have looked like Two-Face from the Dark Knight, not a bright red tomato. The love story was the worst because it was purely there just for the sake of having it. It did nothing for the overall story or character development at all. All of the fighting sequences were just as goofy with overzealous wire-work and punching sounds. In all of the NYC sequences, it looks very much like it was filmed in studio back-lot. Considering that the movie was centralized in WWII, why did it not look like Band of Brothers? Why not emulate the best?

The general plot line of having it set in WWII and having the Red Skull as the villain, I thought was great. Even the cast I thought did a good job. The acting was good, in my opinion. I just did not like the way the movie was executed more on a technical standpoint than anything else as the actors and the plot were good, in my opinion.

You seem to have become a bit of a snob when it comes to comic movies recently. :baiting:

I watch all Marvel movies at a wine and cheese party.

lol, most say that CA will be as big as Spider-man and Batman. I don't think so. Now that this review came on the boards I wont waste my time seeing it.

That being said the after credits footage gave me goosebumps!!

Avengers Assemble!

I cannot wait!!!

Again, i really enjoyed the movie, but i am partial to Cap. :D

Everyone is entitiled to their own opinion and take on the movie.

In all of the NYC sequences, it looks very much like it was filmed in studio back-lot.
NYC scenes were shot in a few streets in the city centre of Manchester, here in England. I'm disappointed they've ended up looking so false after so much effort.

In all of the NYC sequences, it looks very much like it was filmed in studio back-lot.
NYC scenes were shot in a few streets in the city centre of Manchester, here in England. I'm disappointed they've ended up looking so false after so much effort.

Really? I thought the NYC scenes had that septia look for effect.

I am not a big capt fan just because i never read his book but after seeing all the trailers and photos i was pretty psyched to see the film and was happy.

I can understand for the hardcore, they are always hard to please but as a casual fan, it was a great popcorn flick.

a few reviews i read said it too long but i was never bored or looked at my watch even though it was a late viewing.