• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first comic book you ever bought

107 posts in this topic

First comic I ever had was Amazing Spider-man 14 from my father when I was 10 (I of course didn't get to read it, as he said it was expensive ;(). The first comic I bought was Amazing Spiderman 100 when I was 12 for 30 dollars, I think. Then I started buying off newstand..first newstand book was probably an older Marvel Tales issue smile.gif

Brian

When I was 5, we walked into a Red & White store while vacationing in Florida; I managed to break-free from "the drill-seargent" for a moment, giving me just enough time to run over to the newstand, reach over and grab a copy of Archie comics. My first reaction was to rip it! And just as I did that, the clerk rushed over to inform my parents that this would be was the first comic I would be buying!

A month later I bought another book -- Amazing Spider-Man King Size Annual #10; its definitely a candidate for the lowest graded copy.. probably a 0.5

My start in collecting was probably a little bit different from most, in that I started buying back issues before I started buying newstand issues. I could get them for a dime a pop at the used book store, and when you're 7 years old, it's easy to choose between 2 (back issues) and 1 (new book). Unlike the quarter bins of today, back in the early to mid 70's the dime bins had some great, late Silver Age and early Bronze Age books. Also somewhat different from most, I still have my first comic book! And here it is in all it's glory - missing cover, extra staples, tape, and missing Marvel Value Stamp, what would you grade this one at guys? wink.gif

wmd27a.jpg

Where's your minty fresh CGC graded copy?

I don't have any of those, 'cause if I ain't selling it, I ain't slabbing it! The highest CGC-graded book I've personally purchased was only a 6.5, no, actually I did buy a 7.5 X-men 17 but I broke it out of the slab since they take up so much dang space. Which reminds me, I've yet to receive my two free CGC-storage boxes from being the runner-up in the weekly contest, how about you Raphael? Maybe it'll be in my next CGC shipment...due in any day now. smile.gif

Boyz - youz just gotta be in the right place at the right time!! I removed this gem from it's slab about, oh, 27 years ago, at which time it was probably pristine...funny what elementary school does to comics, huh?

Now, being a pioneer of comic book restoration I must point out the nearly perfect placement of the 2nd top staple! At the same time, I was able to realize the bottom staple area did not have the structural integrity to support a 2nd one there, so I carefully off-set that one slightly below the original, and added the tape for additional stability. What workmanship!! grin.gif

"Which reminds me, I've yet to receive my two free CGC-storage boxes from being the runner-up in the weekly contest, how about you Raphael?"

Got my freebie standard submission yesterday grin.gif I did win a free box once but it got hammered by FedEx before I received it (has anyone received their boxes in okay shape?). I managed to salvage it, but I don't plan on moving it around very much with my books in it. tongue.gif

I can't believe it guys, my old Apple fired up and I was able to retrieve this vintage CGC scan! Note how they responsed to customer feedback and started putting the title and issue on the label, as well as tightening up their standards a bit. Unbelievable! smile.gif

wmd27c.jpg