• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first comic book you ever bought

107 posts in this topic

what is the first comic book you ever bought or owned? mine was ASM 160. i remember that particular issue cos it had an appearence of spidey's spidey mobile....oh the tacky 70's. grin.gif i might also add that i don't own it anymore, and if i did, it's would not be in NM, more like VG condition. shocked.gif

..............my first book was x-men #28, the first appearance of banshee............

..........i was visiting a relatives house as a child and it was lying around on a table..............i was so intrigued by the cover and bugged my relative so much that he gave me the book....................i loved that cover!

........i still have the book, it has a nostalgia value for me, although its condition is probably on GD, its pretty beat up.................

...the years of enjoyment show............. grin.gif

I had a few assorted books in the late 70's, but the first book I bought that started me down the collecting path was PPTSS 45. ASM 208 quickly followed, then a Marvel Tales book. At this point, I couldn't figure out what the f#@$ was going on. After a couple of months, I learned that Marvel Tales was a reprint. grin.gif

I then started into Star Wars at issue 53, X-Men at 152, FF at 235 and Daredevil at 181.

The first book I remember getting was a Giant BATMAN; I forget the number off the top of my head, but the theme of the issue was Bruce Wayne's Private Life and the most vivid memory I have of the book was the story about Bruce Wayne's Aunt Agatha and her unmasking of Batman. I own a copy now, but it's not the same one I had as a four year old. wink.gif

The first comic that I owned was bought for me by my mom while I was home sick from school. It was Amazing Spider-Man #146 in 1975. I was around 4 years old. I also bought #150 myself a few months later. The 146 is long-torn up and gone--I vaguely remember the cover tearing off at some point. I still own the 150; it's about a VG.

I didn't buy any others for like 5 years until I picked up on Richie Rich from 1980 to 1982. Bought a few hundred of those off the stands. Didn't buy any Marvels or DCs again until I bought GI Joe #1 in 1982. From there I went nuts and got hooked!

My dad was a big comic fan in his childhood and actually bought me books when I was a little tyke. By the time I was walking, talking and learning to read, I already had a nice pile to start with.

In an ironic twist of fate, he concentrated almost solely on Amazing Spider-man and the first issue he bought was #130. Like he couldn't have started a month earlier.

The story of my life. grin.gif

The first book that I remember buying off the stands was the Demon 2 or 3. I distinctly remember a particular 2 page splash page when I purchased a copy for my current collection at a later date! I don't why I picked that issue, as I was only around 6 or 7 years old then! confused.gif

Had a teacher that brought coverless comics from the local 7-11 to school. So the first i read was Defenders #1 - and I was hooked! I hated Dc due to the corny batman show which was on tv but I had no idea who these characters were. I was especially puzzled as to why Hulk was green. A few days later I saved up and bought Avengers 129, Defenders 15, Hulk 175. A Marvel Zombie was born! I bought anything Marvel made - 2in 1, team Up, Double feature , marvel Heroes etc etc. I still have most of the originals i bought and they are not cgc material as I often had to go to sleep with them. i also still have the Origins of Marvel that was a christmas present I received when i was about 9 - it was the masterpiece of my collection for a long time!

Yep, those Origins and Son of Origins books were quite the happening. I remember stumbling into a bookstore (where I regularly bought multi-packs) and seeing those tomes sitting on the top shelf. I read them to death (I actually read through Stan's opening comments not long ago) and they even made quite the stir with my buds.

Mmm, what you're saying is that some crappy reruns of Batman got you turned off on DCs. You must have very impressionable during the 1970s! wink.gif I, also like the Fireside Books because I feel that they are neat collectibles. I was able to pick up 2 of the slip case editions of the books with both Origins of Marvel Comics and Son of Origins. I could never understand the "Son of Origins" name. I have in the past bought some of the others but I prefer to buy the hardbacks whenever possible. Unfortunately, others want them too and the books can get relatively expensive compared to the softbacks! mad.gif

Well I'm new to this board and back into collecting comics again since being out it since like 1991. I couldn't remember what my first comic was but probably and early 80's (80-82) ASM. I sold that first collection but started collecting a new one just this past month and the first book I got was a 1995 X-Men Omega-B #1 Gold Edition slabbed CGC 9.8. I got sick of cards a re-discovered the joy of collecting comics and I think this first one was a decent pick up considering only got it for 50 bucks. I like the fact that these CGC holders can preserve the books better to some degree.

One of the things that caught my eye was all these nice looking chromium covers out there, something cheap to collect and looks cool.