• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which 10 DC series runs are the best of the best?

26 posts in this topic

Justice League (newer series by Giffen) issues #1-20

Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

Bonds knows his stuff.

Off-hand, I would add the Crisis series. Yes, the story went outta control near the end; but reading as superheroes "actually" died was powerful to me (at least at the time). Plus, one can NEVER get enough of Perez! cloud9.gif

Rick

Batman/Superman

Teen Titans (current series)

Fables

Y: The Last Man

Superman: Birthright

Superman: Red Son

Superman: Godfall

Batman: Hush

Wonder Woman - any and all

Lois Lane - any and all

was reading, but no longer picking up:

Green Arrow

Catwoman

Hawkman

every now and then, I'd crack open my "25 cent bin" DC books, and just enjoy an out of continuity look at a silver/bronze reader...

...and I'm also leaving out a lot of other cool stuff you should be able to find in TPB or Hardback reprints, including O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern / Green Arrow, Adams' Deadman, The Ras al Ghul stories ("Tales of the Demon" TPB) by again O'Neil & Adams, 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Thanks everybody! Apparently I didn't 893blahblah.gif enough, cause I overlooked a couple more in that run-on list above, namely the original Swamp Thing 1-10 from 1972-1973 by Wein & Wrightson ("if you like Man-Thing, etc..."), and the O'Neil/Kaluta Shadow from 1973-74 (that's probably the better comparison to The Punisher, now that I think about it). thumbsup2.gif

I'd agree with Zonker's list, particularly the Great Darkness Saga.

To that I'd add all of the JLA-JSA cross overs, starting from JLA 21. Great stuff! Some of the good JLA-JSA cross overs were reprinted in the JLA 100 pagers in the early 1970s.

The 100 pagers in general are great, with lots of good reprints from GA and SA. I know high grade copies are expensive, but perhaps reader copies are more reasonably priced?

Can't go wrong with the JLA-JSA cross overs thumbsup2.gif

'm working on finding these as readers.

In the mean time I was directed to a nice story in the Bat-Man series and I picked it up

"The Killing Joke"! I read it and I thought this was a great developing story and is churning my wheels for more. So I'll definately pick-up that "Strange Apparitions" re-print set and check it out.

_w