• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Back Cover donor for TOS #39 (any Marvel from Dec 1962)

19 posts in this topic

I have a great Tales of Suspense #39 (1st Iron Man) with a nice front cover and excellent pages, but no back cover. Anyone know of any potential lower priced donor candidates for the back cover? It could be just about all the Marvel books from December 1962 to match up I am told, so the more obscure/cheaper the donor, the better. A complete restored book will be a much nicer show piece in my collection than the Fair! :)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Interesting challenge. I did a little research. I believe you are looking for the "Shoe" back cover that was on the back of select December 1962 and January 1963 issues. This ad was preceded by the "coin" back cover in November and followed by the the very familiar "Albert Dorne" back cover in February.

I found this image*.

TOS40.jpg

*It's from a TOS 40 but as I found an ASM 1 (same month as TOS 39) with this back cover, I'm assuming it's a match.

The teen titles had different back covers than the superheroes and western books so you would be limited to:

December 1962 Titles

ASM 1

FF 12

JIM 89

Kid Colt Outlaw 109

Strange Tales 106

TOS 39

TTA 41

Two-Gun Kid 62

January 1963 Titles

FF 13

Gunsmoke Western 75

Hulk 6

JIM 90

Rawhide Kid 33

Strange Tales 107

TOS 40

TTA 42

Given the prime collecting quality of the superhero titles, you may be best looking for the westerns.

There's a fair copy of Gunsmoke Western 75 on eBay right now for BIN $5. It may be, if complete, the match you are looking for.

Gunsmoke Western 75

The seller might be problematic but for $5?

Awesome! Thanks for the help! Hopefully the inside back cover ads are the same, but I have a few of those other superhero books from that era, so I can check to make sure.

Any idea of the costs of such restoration?

I think It would be pretty high. I looked into getting an amazing fantasy 15 restored at one point. Smilar kind of resto described here. Person quoted me $1,500.

I think It would be pretty high. I looked into getting an amazing fantasy 15 restored at one point. Smilar kind of resto described here. Person quoted me $1,500.

Just to reattach the cover, or for full blown restoration to make the entire book as nice as possible? How bad was the front cover?

It was distributor damage. The top third of the cover gone. Right at the top of spider-man's head and up. The inside of the book is pretty damn solid.

You had the back cover though and just had to replace the masthead and some of the artwork? $1500 sounds reasonable, based on my assumption of what work would need to be done. Recreating the masthead and the top part of the artwork takes more time and effort than attaching a donor back cover to a high grade front cover.

Marrying the front and back cover and make it look very well would be a lot easier than the recreation the Amazing #15 would need.

I am wondering about the costs as well. Do most professional resto labs use a FMV as well, when quoting price, or is it always strictly based on the work. Would it be the same for a $10,000 book vs a $1500 book?

I am wondering about the costs as well. Do most professional resto labs use a FMV as well, when quoting price, or is it always strictly based on the work. Would it be the same for a $10,000 book vs a $1500 book?

It really depends on the job and on the person doing the work. Different people have different policies. Sometimes they'll charge more for an expensive key that needs a lot of work compared to a less valuable book that needs the same amount of work. But simple stuff, like sealing a spine split, usually does not vary much depending on the book because the repair is so simple and takes so little time.

If I could somehow miraculously find a spare Amazing Fantasy 15 cover (I know, I know...impossible), I think I would absolutely have it restored. I might even have it graded with the restored paperwork going with it.

Even crazier is selling the restored copy and trying to get an unrestored copy of AF 15 at a lower grade.

It was distributor damage. The top third of the cover gone. Right at the top of spider-man's head and up. The inside of the book is pretty damn solid.

So about how much would an AF #15 like this go for $$$ with the top strip removed?

So about how much would an AF #15 like this go for $$$ with the top strip removed?

I have asked this question before as that copy with the top ripped off is mine, but I've heard as little $800 to as much as $1500. I'm guessing that if I put it on Comiclink as is, it might fetch around a $1000, but maybe I'm dreaming.