• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sterling's Report Card

30 posts in this topic

OK, I kept calling Gemma until she gave me the grades of my first batch to CGC. I was really nervous, since I basically did this 'blind'. Statistically, 77% were 9.0 or greater, and the lowest grade (1/1) was 7.5. About 37% of the books were dead on at 9.0.

There were many surprises, some of which have to wait.... 893whatthe.gif

Some of the big wins:

Amazing Spider-Man #71 CGC 9.6 WHITE PAGES

Amazing Spider-Man #89 CGC 9.6 OW-W PAGES

Amazing Spider-Man #102 CGC 9.4 OW PAGES

Amazing Spider-Man #120 CGC 9.4 WHITE PAGES

Ghosts #1 CGC 9.4 WHITE PAGES

Witching Hour #1 CGC 9.0 WHITE PAGES

Witching Hour #1 CGC 9.2 OW-W PAGES

On the unpleasant side, I have basically two VF copies of WBN #1, a couple of VF Spidey's (non keys), and a PLOD of (get this) Son of Satan #1 sold to me as a 9.6 that graded as 8.5 foreheadslap.gif Needless to say, it's time to invest in a black light.

Most of the books will be on eBay shortly after they get back.

dunno, it's buried somewhere in my eBay history pdfs. I do remember having to wait 30+ days for it. Oddly I bought that as a 9.0, along with a WBN 1 9.0 that ended up a CGC 8.0. So, the grading was a little wacky to say the least. The white pages are awesome, as my other CGC 9.4 copy from Katradis is cream 893frustrated.gif

The best part--the book only cost me $30... cloud9.gif

I had to pay $305 for my CGC 9.4 OWW copy!

However, I was able to sell the CGC 9.4 WP copy that I had graded for $400! sumo.gif

I had to pay $305 for my CGC 9.4 OWW copy!

However, I was able to sell the CGC 9.4 WP copy that I had graded for $400! sumo.gif

That sounds right about how much I paid for my first 9.4. thumbsup2.gif I'm still hoping for an elusive 9.6 someday... cloud9.gif

Also, many of the books that came back spot on came from Ted at Superworld--I know his grading can be off sometimes, but these books were great!

Ted is kind of hit-or-miss. I've found that his Bronze books tend to be right on, and the SA stuff is graded a little looser. Still, one of my favorite dealers. smile.gif

is the ASM 120 the one that Ted had raw at NM+?

Brian

no, I was referring to ASM 71. Actually, double checking where I bought these, my 75 was NM raw but came back VF/NM. My 71/73 were 9.2 but came back 9.0. It's close but every notch down means KA-CHING sorry.gif

On the whole, I won big on 2 or 3 books, broke even on a few, and lost a few. I think by my 3rd submission I should have it down to a science... or not.... thumbsup2.gif

Some additional grades from my 2nd batch. Again approximately 1/3 of my grades tanked--I plan on reviewing the grader's notes and find out what I neglected to see. Interestingly, a few of my "9.6/9.8" from Katradis came in at 8.0, 6.5, etc: 893whatthe.gif I have been convinced. sigh...

Secrets of Haunted House #5 (WRIGHTSON COVER) CGC 9.6 (loisandclark)

Unexpected #140 CGC 9.4 (katradis)

...more once I receive a report.

The breakdown by grades are:

6.0 1 893whatthe.gif

6.5 1 893whatthe.gif

7.0 1 893whatthe.gif

8.0 5 confused.gif

8.5 1 smirk.gif

9.0 7 ooo.gif

9.2 6 laugh.gif

9.4 4 laugh.gif

9.6 2 grin.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

We can't all be as perfect as you, greggy.... foreheadslap.gif

At least list the books. Grades mean nothing without the book! crazy.gif

Dude, I called at 5:29pm today right before they left. I was lucky to get ANY information. Trust me, once I know, you'll know.... Good news is--they have graded economy material sent in after 1/5/04--so things are picking up 893applaud-thumb.gif