• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Auctions?

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was having a discussion with an elderly lady about purchasing her late husbands comic collection, and she has been contacted by some auction house out of the States by this name offering her cash for her books without even having a detailed listing of what she has. I have dealt with a lot of auction houses before, but have not heard of this one in the comic world.

I told her it sounded like a scam to me personally, but wanted to know if any of the group had heard or dealt with this group before. I dont think I am going to purchase the collection regardless, but would hate to see her lose it to some unscrupulous individuals. no disrespect intended to any one affiliated with this group, I want to make sure she does not get taken advantage of as she is a very nice lady, thats all.

Any feedback most appreciated.

Jason

Mound City Auctions is legit, and have run a hi-grade (unpressed) SA comic book auction that, I believe, realized over $1 mil. Surprised that they would come into Canada to try to (shrug) buy a collection without a master list.

They had a successful comic auction or two in the last year or two. Great set of books that sold for really good prices. The company seemed in over its head for the most part but they're legitimate.

Mound City is legit. They first started posting on the boards after someone

started a thread about a SA collection they were auctioning off 2 years ago.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3422666&fpart=1

Another thread about them.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=3990110&Searchpage=2&Main=191154&Words=%26quot%3Bmound+city%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post3990110

hmm, ok. Hopefully she has the auction house correct and the people contacting her are who they say they are. The collection is a late silver/early bronze age collection mostly and is only 98 books in high grade(so I have been told). Does not seem like something a big auction house would chase after and in that manner too.

Seems like a gamble to just buy books like that without further research on the auction house's part IMO.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll let her navigate her sale on her own I guess.

Jason