• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help Finding Mandatory Reading for Golden Age Comics

57 posts in this topic

Somewhat related

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay: A Novel

It's a fun read and has mulitple allusions to the comics of the Golden Age.

Many Jewish references and homages to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

A must read, really.

If the Shadow is a key figure, what do you have on your reading list as far as he is concerned?

I haven't gotten there yet ;)lol Honestly, I'm just in the initial stages of putting this mammoth beast together. Fortunately, there's not much rush either (relatively speaking) as I'm planning on about two and a half years before finishing it all up.

What I want to do with the Shadow won't be too in depth, but I'll be looking at his origin story, definitive characteristics, and then the way he influenced Bob Kane and Bill Finger's (in particular) creation of Batman. That's really as far as I'll be taking him, but with some of the other sources I've found, his inclusion is pretty important even if it's only discussed over a few pages.

Just out of interest, is this a history Ph.D.?

Ph.D. in Literature & Criticism Ph.D in combining my two interests!

Fixed that to better reflect the truth!

:hi:

:D

Um. So? :grin:

Last I CHECKED, I know someone else who made a career out of HIS hobby too :baiting:

If the Shadow is a key figure, what do you have on your reading list as far as he is concerned?

I haven't gotten there yet ;)lol Honestly, I'm just in the initial stages of putting this mammoth beast together. Fortunately, there's not much rush either (relatively speaking) as I'm planning on about two and a half years before finishing it all up.

What I want to do with the Shadow won't be too in depth, but I'll be looking at his origin story, definitive characteristics, and then the way he influenced Bob Kane and Bill Finger's (in particular) creation of Batman. That's really as far as I'll be taking him, but with some of the other sources I've found, his inclusion is pretty important even if it's only discussed over a few pages.

You said "key" and I thought you were going in one direction which doesn't seem to be the one you have in mind. That's fine. I just wanted to know if you needed help with that part of documentation. I might have been able to help. I want to make sure you don't miss out on important information :thumbsup:

You said "key" and I thought you were going in one direction which doesn't seem to be the one you have in mind. That's fine. I just wanted to know if you needed help with that part of documentation. I might have been able to help. I want to make sure you don't miss out on important information :thumbsup:

I still might take you up on the offer. Unlike a few of my classmates, I'm pretty flexible on where I might end up with this project. I have a few ideas, but I generally like to do the research and then see where it leads.

(thumbs u

Some interesting websites:

Golden Age Comics

Can download copyright free Golden Age comics.

Golden Age

The Comic Web: Online Comics

Another download site. Not as extensive.

This next one might be right down your alley: The Vallely Archives.

Henry Vallely

Displays the work of early Twentieth Century illustrator, Henry Vallely.

Has a very interesting six part series on the origin of Batman and swipes from Vallely.

Some interesting websites:

Golden Age Comics

Can download copyright free Golden Age comics.

Golden Age

The Comic Web: Online Comics

Another download site. Not as extensive.

This next one might be right down your alley: The Vallely Archives.

Henry Vallely

Displays the work of early Tewntieth Centruy illustrator, Henry Vallely.

Has a very interesting six part series on the origin of Batman and swipes from Vallely.

Yup. Looks like I'll be spending a little time here too. (worship) (thumbs u

Definitely read Steranko's History of Comics. There is a chapter focusing on The Shadow and his influence on the golden age.

I don't think anything is researched better than Alter-Ego. Roy does a bang-up job editing and Amash provides interviews with the founding fathers of the golden age of comic books. If you want funny pages, then look for back issues of Nemo.

I like many of the articles in Comic Book Marketplace but they aren't as detailed as AE. However, they are more colorful and provide a good visual reference if you don't have time to check out the Digital Comic Museum or Golden Age Comics.

I think Michael Vance also wrote an excellant text on Nedor and ACG comics.

Oh yes, I loved Steranko's book and he points out so clearly that pulp stories were the foundation for comic book heroes. If the text were added to full size pulp scans, it would make a mavelous book.

I thought I remember Jones discussing some of Sigel's pre-Superman fanzine articles and this will also be an area I'll need to spend some more time on.The Shadow is a "key" figure in part of my discussion, but I was not tracking the bit about Prince Valiant. That seems like something I'm definitely going to need to look into further. Fascinating stuff!

If you want to know about the creation of Superman, then you have to read the decisions in the Siegel lawsuits over Superman and Superboy.

During the course of those lawsuits, some really interesting material bearing on the creation of Superman was turned up, including a 1934 plot outline and -script Siegel sent to artist Russel Keaton, and the first week of proposed Superman newspaper strips that Keaton illustrated for the resulting collaboration with Siegel. Obviously, that collaboration never went anywhere, but until recently no one knew that Siegel tried to get Superman off the ground without Shuster. See here: http://uncivilsociety.org/siegel_keaton_complete.pdf

An interesting discussion of the topic, including a great find by Bangzoom, can be found on the forum thread here (don't forget to check out the cleaned up strips on p. 8): http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2616412&fpart=1

Here is a starting place with some good links on the pre-1938 efforts to create Superman made by Siegel and Shuster: http://superman.nu/theages/History/Version0.php

As for Batman and Prince Valiant, check this out December 25, 1937 strip:

princevaliant-with-demon.jpg

We know Bob Kane was not above swiping the works of others, including Foster:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/09/18/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-173/

So I don't think its a big leap to believe that Foster had a big influence on the Batman concept.

Wow--that's great! And is it me, or is that mask almost spot on from Kirby's "The Demon" character?

I'm only vaguely familiar with the lawsuits, so I'll be sure to take a look at them as well. Thanks again!!! (worship)

Kirby's Demon character look was inspired by the Foster Prince Valiant sequence. (thumbs u

I want to add my voice to the recommendation to get and read Jim Steranko's 2 volumes of his History of Comics. They are long out of print, but copies can be found on Amazon and with used booksellers for about $25-50 a volume. This is an invaluable resource. I've been studying and researching comics for about 35 years, and I return to these books over and over.

One reason for this is that the books were researched and written in the late 1960's and early 1970's, when lots of people from the golden age of the American comic book industry were still alive and mentally sharp. Steranko's books contain a wealth of primary interview material, and in many cases, this is the ONLY place you'll find this.

Also, Steranko is insightful, scholarly, and a good writer. Lastly, he is a comic book creator himself, so he understands what's important.

Another great source material is the 100-or-so issue run of Alter Ego magazine (still publishing). You can get digital downloads pretty reasonably from their site:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=55

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested it yet, but there is also the connection with E.C. Segar's "Popeye," which Bill Blackbeard suggested was the first super-hero.

Lastly, I'd recommend Joe Simon's new book, "My Life In Comics," http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Simon-Comics-Illustrated-Autobiography/dp/1845769309/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312497376&sr=1-2

and Jerry Robinson's new book: http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Robinson-Ambassador-Christopher-Couch/dp/0810977648/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1312497340&sr=8-13

These are two recently published books by key creators who there at the beginning.

Lastly, there is a fascinating book by former DC Editor Julie Schwartz, called Man of Two Worlds (http://www.amazon.com/Man-Two-Worlds-Science-Fiction/dp/0380810514/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312497447&sr=1-8), which has tons of great information on the connection between the science fiction community and the comics world... and the huge influence science fiction writing had on comics. Jerry Seigel's Superman concept traces back to science fiction.

Good luck with your dissertation!

Just wanted to send another "thank you" out to all of those members who posted here or via PM in the months since my initial post. Tomorrow afternoon, I go into conduct the oral defense of doctoral exams, and pending a passing report from my committee, I'll formally begin writing the dissertation. And I can tell you that MUCH of what was recommended here has either made its way onto my lists or has influenced my research.

Thanks again all and here's to hoping for a win!

:wishluck:

. . ..

--> Primary sources from the Golden Age of comics . . . that include significant events / developments in the stories of (the Flash).

(worship):foryou:

Ever wonder when the Flash time traveled for the first time?

. . ..

--> Primary sources from the Golden Age of comics . . . that include significant events / developments in the stories of (the Flash).

(worship):foryou:

Ever wonder when the Flash time traveled for the first time?

Sorry... Flash didn't make the cut :sorry:

Go find yourself a copy of Gladiator by Philip Wylie

Novel that predates Doc Savage, and Superman, and pretty obviously mined extensively by their creators.

Not only that, but it's a damned good read.

Go find yourself a copy of Gladiator by Philip Wylie

Novel that predates Doc Savage, and Superman, and pretty obviously mined extensively by their creators.

Not only that, but it's a damned good read.

He's in there under my Superman section ;)