• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus 1 CGC 6.0 R

7 posts in this topic

Does your SA mean small amount of Amateur color touch? In which case, u could use an exacto knife to cut out the offending color on the spine or black cover. May become raw vg 4.0 unrestored though. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

This seems like a better idea than sending it to get removed by a real restorer.

I am sure you could still get a fair amount of money for this because some people won't want the File copies due to the signatures.

I am sure you could still get a fair amount of money for this because some people won't want the File copies due to the signatures.

Yes you probably could get a decent price back for it... .

If the color touch is clearly identifiable you could scrape it off with an exacto-knife, (that's what a professional will do anyway), if you are not sure, don't think you have a steady enough hand or don't want to risk missing all of the CT then you should probably send it to an expert.

BUT if you do have it done professionally - a restored 6.0 to an unrestored 4.0 (or 5.0)... or worse, depending on how deep one has to dig to remove the restoration.... will the gains made offset the cost of (a) removing the CT and (b) reslabbing it?

Lots of people want a Cerebus #1 in their collection and the grade isn't as important to them as it is being authenticated as a true first printing. As an aside, CGC grader Paul Litch can identify the original from the counterfeit, but we've seen some crazy prices paid for unslabbed Good and Very Good condition books on eBay with or without Dave's personal authentication.

On that note, try finding an authentic Cerebus #1 that doesn't have a signature on it. That's tough. Dave offered his "free Cerebus #1 authentication service" for close to 20 years at conventions... if you brought it to him and he thought it was authentic he signed an interior page, while if it was a counterfeit he would sign it "Neal Adams" or "Barry Windsor-Smith".

Almost all of the copies Dave personally sold at conventions and store signings in 1977-78 before he sold out of them were also signed. My VG copy is signed and dated 1978 and has a note to the fan who Dave sold it to... some guy named Mike.

Aside from the #1's that Dave had at his house, before he signed them last month, I don't think I've ever come across a #1 that wasn't already signed. Cerebus #1 in any condition is a rare book, but an unsigned #1 is even rarer.

It's an interesting one though. The fact that CGC has identified it as authentic would satisfy the buyers that you indicate, though I wonder whether the PLOD would put people off.

According to the potential seller of this book to me, the book is signed by both Dave and Deni SIm.

Also, the CGC 4.5 copy that I have does NOT have a Dave Sim signature, so I am happy to hear your last statement. grin.gif