• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you leave a neutral for overcharging on shipping?

65 posts in this topic

Ebay's policy has changed recently, so final value fees are now applied to seller shipping charges as well. So, they are taking a percentage of it. That's no reason to overcharge, they changed the policy to try and prevent sellers from the shipping fiasco - people with a lot for .99 cents, but then shipping is $30... lol. DB's.

I never understood why this would prevent a large shipping fee. Basically if this guy charges $30 for shipping they still only pay about a 10% FVF on shipping and pocket a ton of money. I have tended to raise my shipping fees enough to compensate for the fee, so eBay's strategy to allegedly drive shipping prices down has had the opposite effect on my rates. I can't afford to lose that kind of money on shipping. Making something cost more doesn't make it cheaper.

Very good point. I still keep my costs within a few bucks - for me it's more USPS raising their rates, that has me raising my shipping prices. Also tend to raise my price on items by a slight amount to offset those fees. Most buyers are aware of shipping costs and expenses, but always have that comparison shopping available. I just try to keep it all balanced.

Need opinions on this. Ebay auction, $15 shipping charge but when I got the package I see that he only paid $6.50. My first instinct was to leave a neutral. Too harsh? Clear case of shipping profiteering.

Yes, I knew the shipping charge would be $15 before I bid. I don't have a problem with the $15 charge if it actually cost him close to $15 to ship it. It didn't, it cost him less than half of that.

I'd definitely contact the buyer first. He may offer you a refund for the difference. If he doesn't I guess a neutral isn't too harsh.

Said it before, and I'll say it again...

Just say NO to eBay.

Every week (day) there's a post (or 10) about problems on eBay.

If it's not the buyer, it's the seller. If it's not either of them, it's something else.

It's always something. More trouble than it's worth.

I wish I could say no to Ebay... Problem is there is NO other way I can sell my books online. I'm in an isolated part of Australia so that's the only choice I have :(

Said it before, and I'll say it again...

Just say NO to eBay.

Every week (day) there's a post (or 10) about problems on eBay.

If it's not the buyer, it's the seller. If it's not either of them, it's something else.

It's always something. More trouble than it's worth.

I wish I could say no to Ebay... Problem is there is NO other way I can sell my books online. I'm in an isolated part of Australia so that's the only choice I have :(

I still have my ebay cherry!!! :whee: