• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Drought Of Hot "New" Moderns...

30 posts in this topic

DSC02393.jpg

There hasn't been a hot "new" Modern since Morning Glories has there?

DSC024131.jpg

hmWe usually get a couple a year too. The Fall of 2009 brought Chew, the Spring of 2010 had Cursed Pirate Girl.

Could collectors have finally realized the market will soon be flooded with multiple prints and trades,

DSC09739.jpg

...and just have given up on the "new" crop of potential blockbuster books?

DSC009811.jpg

One of the main things that has been killing potential hot new moderns is the failure to come out on a regular basis. Nonplayer may have the been the one, but it hasn't had #2 come out yet and it has been out for 3 or 4 months. Only Jeremy's one of a kind art saved CPG with its, shall we say, sluggish, schedule.

Infinite Vacation had a chance but fizzled. Skullkickers died on the vine. Scarlet never left the ground.

Well, if there isn't a strong new book, there's not going to be a hot new modern. And that's probably the way it should be.

I think people stopped trying to make books hot after flops like Skullkickers.

I have a few books coming up that I plan to keep an eye on, but I'll have to see how the story is and if they ship on time.

Often times reading these boards depresses me about comics. It's all negativity. "Comics these days suck." "With digi-books comic books will soon be obsolete" etc....

It almost makes me want to go back to coins.

You are the one who keeps jumping into threads about speculation. If you want some tips on great modern reads, there are threads all over the place for that. :foryou:

I buy alot of moderns, but not to flip but to read as I've mentioned in previous threads. I rarely make any cash out of moderns when I come to resell them after reading because lately I take too long to read them. I've got comics piling up from end of last year waiting to be read.

To address a few moderns which I have sold for more or the price I paid:

Sweets, this was a really good crime drama mini series.

Crossed Family Values, as gross and as good as the original, sold quite well.

New York Five, hated it from the first issue, someone else wanted it badly though.

I, Zombie Quirky tale of a Zombie gal who eats brains to stop from becoming a Zombie.... huh! 1st 6 issues were snapped up.

American Vampire, resold well, until Stephen King left the title, but I'm still enjoying the further adventures of Skinner Sweet!

And those that I can't give away...

Skullkickers I have only just read the 1st five issues and I'm enjoying it, if it goes down hill from here then I'll be cancelling it!

7 Psychopaths nice idea, nice story, and thats it really.

Devil Japanese Vampire tale, really great artwork, Dark Horse title, cannot sell it for $1 for all 4 issues. This was a great story & artwork, maybe a title no one heard of.

Dead Romeo Lame Vampire hippy tale, its going in the bin!

Garrison Interesting tale about... nah not really, seen it all before 6 issue DC title.

Well I'm sorting out this weeks reading pile which at the same time I put on a 7 day auction.

I bought Devil #1, thought it was okay. Not good enough to stay on the pull list but I'm surprised you can't get a dollar each for them.

I was not impressed with Skullkickers from the start. I like sword and sorcery but it seemed too much like Nintendo DS video game concept art to me.

I bought I, Zombie #1 too and thought it was alright. Didn't add it to the pull list though. Think I already sold it, probably for a dollar

Often times reading these boards depresses me about comics. It's all negativity. "Comics these days suck." "With digi-books comic books will soon be obsolete" etc....

It almost makes me want to go back to coins.

You are the one who keeps jumping into threads about speculation. If you want some tips on great modern reads, there are threads all over the place for that. :foryou:

\

That's worth a triple:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The only thing new I am liking currently other then Morning Glories is Hack and Slash which has an interesting story.

They had to switch publishers because DDP couldnt pay the bills. So that hurt them a little, but they seem to be holding their own with a re-launch its not your typically modern anyway for those of you who have read a few issues.

It has a flower at the end. That means I am not being a . Instigator.

Don't worry, I read you the right way. Anyone hoping for a :slapfight: from me is going to be disappointed.

It's good you clarified that, because he would have been bereft without your validation.

:luhv:

One of the main things that has been killing potential hot new moderns is the failure to come out on a regular basis. Nonplayer may have the been the one, but it hasn't had #2 come out yet and it has been out for 3 or 4 months. Only Jeremy's one of a kind art saved CPG with its, shall we say, sluggish, schedule...

+1

It makes me wonder how CPG would have done with a faster turnaround on issues. I still collect CPG because of the great artwork and story and I'm still waiting for the next arc as well as new publisher to see what changes will come about. Waiting around for the actual story to continue instead of filling in the gaps with tons of different covers can really affect a book. Love the book, love the artist, love the art...waiting patiently. ;)

One of the main things that has been killing potential hot new moderns is the failure to come out on a regular basis. Nonplayer may have the been the one, but it hasn't had #2 come out yet and it has been out for 3 or 4 months. Only Jeremy's one of a kind art saved CPG with its, shall we say, sluggish, schedule.

Infinite Vacation had a chance but fizzled. Skullkickers died on the vine. Scarlet never left the ground.

i could care less about hot but i'm looking for great every week. infinite vacation had me terribly excited after reading issue #1, now it just makes me sad to see it mentioned.