• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Drought Of Hot "New" Moderns...

30 posts in this topic

Often times reading these boards depresses me about comics. It's all negativity. "Comics these days suck." "With digi-books comic books will soon be obsolete" etc....

It almost makes me want to go back to coins.

Because of the low print runs there could be a goldmine in moderns. So it`s not as bad as some might think it is.There is lots of indys that could get optioned by Hollywood in the next five years.Why? because Disney owns the majority of all the Marvel characters and the other movie studios are going to want a piece of the 1 billion dollar comicbook box office movie pie,so they will look for indys for their new comicbook film ideas. We will even take the much maligned Skullkickers as an example.If Hollywood decides that they will make Skullkickers into major motion picture then we can bet it would get "hot" again. So lots of potential here in the moderns.

Choker is another one, last issue January.... now we're at the start of August and still waiting for #6.

This has been a crying shame.

It started as a great book, then dissapeared faster than cake at a Weightwatchers convention.

Issue 1 of the new Daredevil series was very good. I'd intended skipping it after the car crash that was Shadowland, but this issue was great. It'll certainly never be "Hot" as it's from Marvel and probably has a ridiculously large print run. Give it a couple of months and then definately hunt some out in the discount bins.

One book I have noticed that has consistantly sold out and has also been a mighty fine read is Clive Barkers Hellraiser (Boom studios). Great art and great writing.. I'm not sure how many issue got printed but over here in jolly old Blighty, back issues are like rocking horse excrement.

Issue 1 of the new Daredevil series was very good. I'd intended skipping it after the car crash that was Shadowland, but this issue was great. It'll certainly never be "Hot" as it's from Marvel and probably has a ridiculously large print run. Give it a couple of months and then definately hunt some out in the discount bins.

There's no such thing as a "ridiculously large print run" in today's comic market. :gossip:

There's no such thing as a "ridiculously large print run" in today's comic market. :gossip:

What I meant was that, after 1 week on the shelves, I could still walk into my LCS and pick up a copy. Supply will definately exceed demand here as Marvel try to flog the "Fantastic first issue, collectors edition special" gimmick.

(I'm not bitter about UXM ending so they can re-launch it - really, I'm not...)

Choker is another one, last issue January.... now we're at the start of August and still waiting for #6.

It started as a great book, then dissapeared faster than cake at a Weightwatchers convention.

One book I have noticed that has consistantly sold out and has also been a mighty fine read is Clive Barkers Hellraiser (Boom studios). Great art and great writing.. I'm not sure how many issue got printed but over here in jolly old Blighty, back issues are like rocking horse excrement.

lol

So many Moderns that I buy, I notice there tends to be big gap when the issues was released, but I its take Choker almost a year just to reach issue #5. It seemed like every 2-3 months but now its just gone quiet.

I've got Hellraiser on the reading pile.

I've got Hellraiser on the reading pile.

A seriously good read.

Barker has more than made up for the travesty that was Marvel's "Barkerverse"

Going back to the original point, did Butcher Baker, Righteous Maker continue to do well or was it a one-shock wonder?

I picked up Issue 1 and was mildly impressed. I say "Mildly" as it seemd to have a fairly decent premise (Not very original but seemingly well delivered) but that premise was hidden within piles and piles of gratuitous filth.

I passed on Butcher Baker, I passed on NonPlayer as well, neither title really did anything for me when I saw them in previews.

The ones I don't pick are the ones that go "hot"!

lol

So many Moderns that I buy, I notice there tends to be big gap when the issues was released, but I its take Choker almost a year just to reach issue #5. It seemed like every 2-3 months but now its just gone quiet.

Choker was terrible anyway. That preview in the CBLDF was pretty damn good. The series just kind of pooped itself though. If you can tell me what the hell is going on in that book, you get a cookie. McCool is coming out with another book that will probably hyped. I won't be buying it.

The sad part is that the gold is in the established titles. Which also are low print run books. And also those that no one cares about.

Too many meatheads that can't get into a title with more than 10 issues. And people wonder why Marvel continues to re-boot titles.

It seems like such a foreign concept to have a "hot" issue that isn't a #1 or early issue. Whereas in the past it would be 1st appearances in the middle of an X-men run, Annuals, etc.

It seems absurd to me that great titles like Fables don't have "hot" issues.

Pat