• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC used to fit in this building

9 posts in this topic

I was searching for video, ANY video of comic con when it was at the El Cortez Hotel and sadly could find nothing. I guess someone would've had to use Super 8 film since that was before cam corders and digital recording was around. Its amazing that the hugeness of what SDCC is today at one time fit entirely into this hotel. The attendees stayed here. The artists and guests stayed here. The masquerade was here and the convention dealers room was here too just across the sky bridge. I suppose I'm just feeling nostalgic and sensing that SDCC is about to soon change forever. I attended the con here twice :cloud9:

If anyone does know about some early comic con footage I'd be very happy to see it.

El Cortez Hotel San Diego

Can't believe guys like Verzyl have been setting up at SD for 35 years.

In Megacon last year he told me the story about how he used to hang a banner from the ceiling and SDCC officials started charging him $2500 just to hang the banner so he stopped doing it.

Some great stories he spun.

:o $2500 :o

Thats crazy money for those days. Course the show went from The El Cortez to the "Old" convention center for quite a few years ( maybe thats where he was talking about) .... and then to the "New" convention center.

Q. Roy, could you hang a banner if you wanted to now ? I mean are you paying for your booth space all the way up to the ceiling ?

:o $2500 :o

Thats crazy money for those days. Course the show went from The El Cortez to the "Old" convention center for quite a few years ( maybe thats where he was talking about) .... and then to the "New" convention center.

Q. Roy, could you hang a banner if you wanted to now ? I mean are you paying for your booth space all the way up to the ceiling ?

I'm Not Roy, but in a union convention hall you pay pay pay for Everything.

No, there's a height limit and if your setup goes above it or if you want to hang something from the ceiling in most of the major con venues you have to get the venue's labor involved.

hmmmm... hm thx.

I havn't had a table at a show since the late 70's so I'm way out of touch. That was the last time I owned a copy of Spidey #3 also :(

I was just reading through a TBG from Oct. 1978 and came across this letter. Not a video .... but kind of interesting SDCC news all the same. Talks about money and the El Cortez and other stuff. :popcorn:

TBG255oct1978.jpg