• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Last Bit of Edgar Church's Collection

34 posts in this topic

So I just got my complimentary issue of the Heritage investing magazine "Intelligent Collector" and as I was preparing to throw it away, I flipped through and found the article stating that the last of Chuck Rozanski's books from Edgar Church's collection will be auctioned off with no reserve on Nov. 10-12 in the November Signature Auction. So I searched and found this which I would never normally read,

http://www.milehighcomics.com/newsletter/072011.html

Should be interesting.

No reserve, but will Chuck or anyone he knows be bidding?

I can't imagine he'd let them go for a song, but we'll see.

I wouldn't mind that Spirit 22 as well

You can have the centaurs Mr. Bunky.....I know how much you've pined for them with your posts and the quest continues.

I'm more interested to see what posters were part of the collection. Had no clue Church collected posters and wonder if they'll be in the same condition as his comics. If they're travel or movie posters (and depending on condition), they could fetch huge numbers

I'm more interested to see what posters were part of the collection. Had no clue Church collected posters and wonder if they'll be in the same condition as his comics. If they're travel or movie posters (and depending on condition), they could fetch huge numbers

See, I'm hoping the opposite will happen. I'm hoping there will be very little demand for them, in which case, as of Nov. 13, I'll be the owner of some cool posters. Otherwise, I'm stuck on the sidelines pining away...

I also didn't know he collected posters. I don't think that was in the original story from Chuck.

if it was anything that amazing they likely would have been long since sold IMO

Sounds like this is the last hurrah for Chuck. Per his account, he sold most of the Church collection to keep the business afloat. It's sad that this is all he kept and it's sad he has to sell it. If he had kept a few real keys he wouldn't have to be working today.

According to Chuck, he sold some of the Church books to pay for his two-page ads in Marvel and DC books in the 1980s that offered more current books, and those ads were very successful.

According to Chuck, he sold some of the Church books to pay for his two-page ads in Marvel and DC books in the 1980s that offered more current books, and those ads were very successful.

Yes, without selling the Church books, Chuck never would have been able to start and build his comic book empire to what it is today.

Of course, subsequent poor management and some bad business decisions on Chuck's part could be accounting for the company's seemingly ongoing cash flow problems over the past several years.

Maybe he could go back and ask the Church heirs for a handout to help him out of this bind? lol

Yes, without selling the Church books, Chuck never would have been able to start and build his comic book empire to what it is today.

Of course, subsequent poor management and some bad business decisions on Chuck's part could be accounting for the company's seemingly ongoing cash flow problems over the past several years.

Maybe he could go back and ask the Church heirs for a handout to help him out of this bind? lol

I believe Chuck said that he made about $2 million from the original church collection but felt that he made a lot more out of the Mile High II collection and subsequent business resulting from the Church sale. If my recollection is correct, he could have lived comfortably off the Church collection without ever doing any work other than monitoring his investments.

Not necessarily. Chuck kept some nice books for himself, so why not posters? I posted about this on a movie poster forum that I'm a member of, and one veteran dealer thinks they're advertising posters. That would make sense, but hopefully there are travel or movie posters mixed up in the group. A guy can dream

Not necessarily. Chuck kept some nice books for himself, so why not posters? I posted about this on a movie poster forum that I'm a member of, and one veteran dealer thinks they're advertising posters. That would make sense, but hopefully there are travel or movie posters mixed up in the group. A guy can dream

Oh I agree 100% that its possible, but judging how by 99.99% of the comics were sold ............. I wouldn't expect much

Oh I agree 100% that its possible, but judging how by 99.99% of the comics were sold ............. I wouldn't expect much

I don't either, honestly, but the excitement of hearing about the posters (and being a poster collector) allowed my imagination to go into overdrive :grin:

I actually enjoy the magazine a lot end up reading most of the articles every time. If you like watching "Antiques Roadshow" I'd highly recommend this.

It's a fun read and the collector profiles are usually well done.

I actually enjoy the magazine a lot end up reading most of the articles every time. If you like watching "Antiques Roadshow" I'd highly recommend this.

It's a fun read and the collector profiles are usually well done.

Maybe it was the John Wayne theme that turned me off. I've never been a fan. But I kept it after seeing the announcement for the comic auction. Does anyone know if there is a list floating out there of what is left or will we have to wait?

In regard to how Mr. Rozanski sold and spent the proceeds from the Church collection, all the explanations that I've read from him have sounded like post-rationalizations for bad choices: I saved Marvel Comics, I made more money off of Mile High2, If I hadn't sold the books the GA comic book market would never have taken off, etc., etc.

Still, you have to be glad that he did find and buy the collection or else, we might never have seen all those wonderful books. (thumbs u