• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A 1930's (or so) photo challenge!

17 posts in this topic

This weekend, I went to our local flea market and was going though a small album of old photos that had some interesting pictures in it. I ended up buying it for $10 and while looking through it at home, I came across this photo. From the dates that are on some of the pictures in the album, I believe they were mostly taken in the 30's... maybe 40's.

I just can't remember seeing any character featured on clothing from this time period but that doesn't mean much... lol

Has anyone else seen character graphics on clothing from the 30's / 40's?

I'm sure there had to be with all the Superman and Mickey stuff that was produced!

I believe this is Tarzan on the shirt, but based on the leggings and maybe shoes does anyone have some idea as to a date?

tarzanchild.jpg

tarzancloseup.jpg

...based on image I would have to say that it was the Burne Hogarth illustartion of Tarzan that ran syndicated between 1936-1950 ish,..so maybe you're looking at late 30's to around 1940,... (shrug)

Looks like a Roy Krenkel sketch, but I'm no expert on Tarzan, and don't see anything in the photo to give a date.

..I don't think Krenkel did Tarzan until the early 60's,..there's no way that kid is from the 50's or 60's

...based on image I would have to say that it was the Burne Hogarth illustartion of Tarzan that ran syndicated between 1936-1950 ish,..so maybe you're looking at late 30's to around 1940,... (shrug)

That was my first thought as well.