• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amazing copy of a super tough hi grade FF

64 posts in this topic

Well, sure...but that's Spidey lunacy.

Lunacy or not you know spidey rules

No issue of Spidey is as rare as FF #13. This book has never been for sale to anybody not named Brulato before this copy. It has been popping up a bit more frequently over the last year than ever before though. No 9.4 had ever been available publicly since CGC started before, but now there's this one, the Twin Cities copy that went from a fugly 9.2 (due to dark top-edge tanning) to a fugly 9.4, and another 9.4 that got sold privately by Bechara--although that 9.4 may be this 9.6 before a press, I didn't see it and don't know if it had a date stamp.

I didn't see this particular book, but I know many of Bechara's books had date stamps

No issue of Spidey is as rare as FF #13. This book has never been for sale to anybody not named Brulato before this copy. It has been popping up a bit more frequently over the last year than ever before though. No 9.4 had ever been available publicly since CGC started before, but now there's this one, the Twin Cities copy that went from a fugly 9.2 (due to dark top-edge tanning) to a fugly 9.4, and another 9.4 that got sold privately by Bechara--although that 9.4 may be this 9.6 before a press, I didn't see it and don't know if it had a date stamp.

I didn't see this particular book, but I know many of Bechara's books had date stamps

Simply based upon the rarity of FF 13 alone I was strongly guessing Bechara's 9.4 is now WorldWide's 9.6; your observation almost clinches it for me. Did the date stamps on his books look the same as the style on the FF 13 in question? A large scan is available at the link below:

http://www.wwcomics.com/images/large/FFour_13_96.jpg

Hi all --

I saw Bechara's FF 13 on his wall in NYC (9.4 oww) and I do not remember the date stamp, but it could well have been there given my poor memory. I bought his #22 in 9.4 at that Con which did indeed have a tiny date stamp but also the brightest colors I'd ever seen on a 22.

So this could be the one, for sure. As I look to find another HG 13, however, I haven't found the recent ones to be "unbelievable". The Twin Cities copy is not appealing, and I don't look at this 9.6 and say wow, either. The 9.4 that went for $14k was probably the nicest of the lot.

Still waiting,

Dan

Guys, I think Bechara's copy had a miswrap if I'm not mistaken.

I could be wrong as it was last year sometime but that seems to stick out in my mind.

I hadn't checked out the Silver forum in a while but I just did, didn't notice a scan of your FF 22 though. Do you have one? Was the date stamp the same style as the one on the FF 13?

Grats on your FF collection, I saw your copies of 15, 16, and a few others, looks like you're really focusing on it again! (thumbs u

I'm tempted to say that your 9.2 has better eye appeal than this 9.6. It's definitely centered better.

I'm tempted to say that your 9.2 has better eye appeal than this 9.6. It's definitely centered better.

Since it's a 9.8 with a nearly invisible defect, it SHOULD look better.

Since it's a 9.8 with a nearly invisible defect, it SHOULD look better.

That's a pretty bright looking copy.

I actually have a really nice copy that should be graded this week. Looks a lot like your 9.2.

:shy:

Stoopid money

Maybe. But that's been a fairly common refrain about certain comic buys over the years. I'm sure people said the same kind of thing about a lot of the Dentist's purchases too.

And personally, I wish I would have spent more "stoopid money" 10 or 15 years ago.

I agree, there are certain comics that command premiums like this in higher grade...

It's just that I'd be happy with an 8.5 or 9.0 for a lot less scratch.

But, that's just me. I haven't bought into the uber HG game. I'm not knocking those who deal in it...it's just not for me.

I actually have a really nice copy that should be graded this week. Looks a lot like your 9.2.

Holy crud, where have all these copies been before now? The entire first ten years CGC was in business you could count the number of 9.x copies of FF 13 for sale on the open market on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to carry your luggage. doh!

If it "looks" like mine, it'll be 9.6/9.8. Mine has no handling defects at all but has one defect that caused Brulato to pass on it. You almost can't see the defect in person; it's actually easier to see in the scan.

Holy crud, where have all these copies been before now? The entire first ten years CGC was in business you could count the number of 9.x copies of FF 13 for sale on the open market on one hand and still have enough fingers left over to carry your luggage. doh!

That's really my point when I say stoopid money. It's not a knock on those who buy them at all but it's just so risky to plop down X times value for 9.4-9.8s when suddenly someone shows up with some unfound collection with high grade copies. Suddenly the price paid drops significantly.

I'm not saying that will happen with FF13 as that is just a very hard to find HG issue. But others...very risky.

Who now owns the only FF #5 and #12 in 9.6 ? Brulato ?

Who else? (shrug) Everyone knows to offer to him first.

I sold him the FF #5 CGC 9.6 so I know he owns that one.

Edit: He bought the #6 CGC 9.6, not the #5.

Didn't realize there was an FF #12 in 9.6. Interesting to find out if he owns this one.

Wow. That's a dream book for me.

Can we know the sale price for the #5 ?

I'll ask him if it's ok that I share.

It's not too hard to figure out based on surrounding issues and what the 9.4 has gone for though.

It's not too hard to figure out based on surrounding issues and what the 9.4 has gone for though.

Can't speak for #5, but #12s in 9.4 have seen quite a price drop

Can't speak for #5, but #12s in 9.4 have seen quite a price drop

Oops, sorry. I misread and thought people were talking about the #6.

doh!

I did NOT sell the #5 9.6.

Sorry. I feel like a dink.

I'd guess somewhere approaching $100K for both the #5 and #12 in CGC 9.6.

Does Brulato keep his undercopies ?

For the most part he doesn't seem to, I've seen lots of Curators hit the market shortly after a new Census-high 9.6 or 9.8 book hit the market, and since he had all the Curators slabbed, you know that's him selling it.