• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To CGC or not to CGC? That is the question.

26 posts in this topic

Sounds like a good candidate..I hate the whole 9.9 thing with cgc though..I mean really? They can tell a 9.8 from a 9.9? Then a 9.9 from a 10? I dont think so..

I completely agree. Above a 9.8 is part luck and part "what kind of day is the final grader having".....

Sounds like a good candidate..I hate the whole 9.9 thing with cgc though..I mean really? They can tell a 9.8 from a 9.9? Then a 9.9 from a 10? I dont think so..

I completely agree. Above a 9.8 is part luck and part "what kind of day is the final grader having".....

Im glad im not alone..I believe its mostly a wow ive had the best day of my life today I wanna hand out some 9.9s and 10s and make some person rich off of it..

It wouldnt be so bad if people werent spending 15-20x more for a 9.9 then what a 9.8 goes for..Ide love to see a hulk 181 10.0 go up for sale..Even a new mutants 98 10.0..I mean really 150k for 181 and what was the new mutants? 10k i believe

And yet I feel the same abut 9.6 to 9.8....I just can't tell the difference.

yea I have a hard time with that also..I have a few 9.6 ba books and I cant tell why they arent 9.8s compared to my other 9.8 ba book

There's a difference. The fact that you can't tell the difference doesn't mean it's baseless.

Perhaps you should spend time trying to educate yourself in the differences instead of complaining.

But then again, don't let me stop you from your little titfest. Carry on.

Someone's grumpy tonight.

Hardly. :whatev:

Are you jealous that it's greggy's birthday?

Nah. I've decided to stop having those. :cry:

There's a difference. The fact that you can't tell the difference doesn't mean it's baseless.

Perhaps you should spend time trying to educate yourself in the differences instead of complaining.

Sometimes it appears as if CGC can't tell the difference...I'm sure not all the stories of resubmitting books had a press inbetween grading (shrug)

Sometimes it appears as if CGC can't tell the difference...I'm sure not all the stories of resubmitting books had a press inbetween grading (shrug)

They haven't. Grades are fluid (I have seen books get pressed, drop in grade, get pressed again and rebound higher than the original grade. The same can be said for unpressed resubmissions as well.) and changes can often occur between grade ranges upon resubmission.

Do the math. Shipping and slabbing will come to about 30. A 9.8 sells for 40-60 bucks. So subtract what you paid for it to guess you upside for your effort. The margin for profit is thin, even if you paid cover price for it.. Then again, selling it raw would only get you a few bucks. But you have no risk selling it raw, and no laying out monies trying to make that slim profit.

There's a difference as evidenced by the forumites that regularly get 9.8's.

Personally, I'd never grade a book "9.8" as it's a tough call. If I was selling a raw book that I thought was a 9.8, I'd call it "NM or better".