• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to my first big Con

45 posts in this topic

Ok, so if you come up to my booth are you going to tell me "Hi, I'm Dicjones" from the boards?

And then will you get mad if I reply, "Hi, I'm Troy Pounders" Which will then be followed by "Do you need supplies? Hotflips has the best protection to keep your valuables covered.

lol...I will certainly introduce myself. It will be nice to finally meet you in person.

Which begs the question...how will I recognize anybody from the boards?

Bob will be easy, he'll have a big sign that says Highgradecomics.com over his head.

I'll be scoping everything out with my wife in tow...I think she is planning on wearing some elf ears and a slight dress up, not sure, just might be wearing a T-shirt like this....

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/DSC_0002-4.jpg[/img]]Wifey

....or another that says, "I make milk. What's your superpower?" She got the milk shirt when she was breastfeeding our son, it is an iron on, so it didn't turn out the greatest once we applied it, so not sure if she is wearing it or not...but I thought it would be hilarious for the Con...everybody looks at her chest anyway, might as well put something funny on it.

Mercy! :o I'm sure we'll recognize her :devil: Stop Dale Roberts' booth, Bedrock City's, Hot Flips, Moondog's - boardies will be hanging out there all during the con. You're bound to run into a few at any point in time

As with many here on the boards we all have the one superpower. After 40 we all become invisible to women under 30.

I have yet to gain those superpowers. I still have my charm.

As with many here on the boards we all have the one superpower. After 40 we all become invisible to women under 30.

I think I developed that superpower quite early. Luckily my wife was able to see through the invisibility shield.

I posted this in DR.X's con report, but then I remembered I had this thread and I got thinking that people who might have wondered how my first con went, wouldn't necessarily see it there. So anyway, here it is again with a little more explanation since it is my own thread.

This was my first major con and as a result I was a bit overwhelmed with the idea of taking pictures, so I really didn't take hardly any, and they all involved my wife somewhere in the shot. I couldn't quite summon up the courage to ask people if I could take their picture. I tend to be a bit shy when it involves people I don't really know.

I had a pretty good sized list of things I wanted to pick up. I had it all stored on my iPhone for quick reference. I had my bag over my shoulder, my wife at my side and I was primed to so some shopping. When we arrived I walked through the celebrity area, I thought my wife might find that interesting, she found one particular guy especially interesting...lol...you'll see later.

We then walked down through some of the isles where dealers were set up, I was just kind of browsing what they had on the wall at this point. I was a little nervous about asking to see stuff on the wall, or go behind the "counters". Like I said, I'm shy and I try not to be rude, which usually ends up in me just doing nothing...sigh. I finally lossened up once I made my first purchase which was the red polybagged Ultimate Spider-Man issue, but that wasn't until after the artist alley visit.

As i was saying we ended up at the artist alley pretty quickly. Decided we would walk up and down each isle, checking out the artwork. I'm sooo glad I did. Artist alley was my favorite part of the whole con.

I then proceeded to go back to the dealers, thinking that this trip through the celebs and artists earned me some brownie points with the wifey to really start doing some book shopping. Truth be told she looked for books for me, just as much as I did...gotta love her. She kept track of where I had already been and what I missed much better than I did...I was too starry eyed to concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

Despite the fact that I had a large list of things I wanted to get, I found really quickly that what I REALLY wanted was to add some more slabs to my 9.8 miller DD registry I am working on. Unfortunately, I really couldn't find anything that I didn't already have...so that was a bit of a disappointment, which kind of soured me on buying anything at all. I decided to save most of my money for anything that might come up on the boards or eBay. Which by the way, I already made a purchase on a Miller DD ebay slab today...good price too boot!

In the end I bought hardly anything at all...lol. I bought multiple copies of blank Daredevil #1's(I've been itching to get some sketch covers done), red polybagged Ultimate Spider-Man #160 and Dungeons and Dragons board game "Wrath of Ashardalon". I think with snacks and everything I spent 125.00. My budget going in was around 500.00, could have spent as much as 700.00 if something really caught my eye. In the end patience won out and I think that had more to do with my personal buying trend over the past couple months...just been taking it easy I guess.

I tried to get a con sketch of Daredevil and Elektra from Humberto Ramos, but it was to late in the day for him to finish it that day, and I wasn't going to be there on Saturday so I missed out. I was surprised at how much I liked the artist alley and how badly I wanted to get a sketch from somebody. If I had realized I wasn't really going to find any books I wanted, I would have asked him at the beginning of the day and could have gotten the sketch. :(

It was nice finally meeting Blazing Bob and meeting GACollectibles and the Superworld owner. Both were really friendly and it was nice talking with them, despite the fact that it was a brief conversation. I saw people I thought might be from the boards, but I just didn't have the guts to walk up to them and introduce myself, wish I could have met more of you.

i think I forgot to breathe for a few minutes when I saw Metropolis had an Amazing Fantasy #15 at 8.5, that was uber cool. Even though I bought hardly anything at all, seeing books that I would have never seen otherwise was something quite special. Maybe someday, when I get more familiar with some of the other board members or dealers I will have the nerve to ask to actually hold one of those great books.

All in all I liked the con, and my wife loved it! She is already excited about coming again next year. Next August I'll be ready for it and have a buttload of cash saved up, which will give me more options out of the gate. I'm getting a sketch dammit!

Here are a few of the pics I did take. Sorry they all include my wife, but she is my favorite thing in the world.

This is her costume, she threw it together with stuff out of her closet and some elf ears she had from Halloween, did good considering it was the night before we left. (worship)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/Heatherandcostumehotel.jpg[/img]]Costume

This is her trying on a corset, I think this may be in the cards for next year :banana:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/HeatherandCorset.jpg[/img]]Corset

With blazing Bob in front of his fantastic wall. (thumbs u

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/HeatherandBlazingBob.jpg[/img]]Heather and Bob

And finally my wife with Noah Hathaway(The Neverending Story), my wife's heartthrob from a much earlier time...she told me later he held on REALLY tight :taptaptap:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/HeatherandNoahHathaway.jpg[/img]]Heather and Noah

Probably one of the best con reports I will ever read. Such a humble human being, and love how you speak of your wife. She is lucky to have someone who just thinks the world of her.

Glad you enjoyed the convention. And glad the story was an overall positive experience for you and the wife.

Pat