• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to my first big Con

45 posts in this topic

My wife surprised me with two tickets to the Chicago Comic Con for our anniversary.

Doesn't sound like much, but when you figure in the Hotel and Overnight Daycare for two little rugrats, it adds up. Despite that, the best part is having a spouse that supports my hobby instead of dragging me down about it.

Anyway...like I said my first big con, so any sage advice?

I have an old hard case from my telescope eyepieces that I was thinking of converting into a comic holder for walking around on the show floor so my books are protected from damage. It has a foam interior that I was going to shape into the size of a slabbed book...good idea or not?

I was also thinking of dropping off a couple books at the CGC booth for SS, does that take a long time? I don't want to spend half my time waiting in line for that.

I only have one day, Friday, so I want to make the most of it.

My wife surprised me with two tickets to the Chicago Comic Con for our anniversary.

Doesn't sound like much, but when you figure in the Hotel and Overnight Daycare for two little rugrats, it adds up. Despite that, the best part is having a spouse that supports my hobby instead of dragging me down about it.

I have an old hard case from my telescope eyepieces that I was thinking of converting into a comic holder for walking around on the show floor so my books are protected from damage. It has a foam interior that I was going to shape into the size of a slabbed book...good idea or not?

I was also thinking of dropping off a couple books at the CGC booth for SS, does that take a long time? I don't want to spend half my time waiting in line for that.

A great idea.I use a laptop case that actually has straps to secure my books inside.

It's a lot to see in one day, but you'll have a blast!

The folks at CGC will get you moving along in no time, but that should be an early stop. Also, if you have the on-site forms filled out ahead of time, it will make their job much easier.

Check out the Wizard website and make a list of the artists/vendors that are top priority and note their location. You can see them first and then start walking the aisles.

And don't forget your con report with lots of pictures!

My best bit of advice, and it sounds silly but true, especially for a big show.

Gel insoles in your shoes. You'll be walking a lot on hard concrete floors. By the end of the day, your feet are going to hurt.

My best bit of advice, and it sounds silly but true, especially for a big show.

Gel insoles in your shoes. You'll be walking a lot on hard concrete floors. By the end of the day, your feet are going to hurt.

+1 They don't put down carpeting, unfortunately

A great idea.I use a laptop case that actually has straps to secure my books inside.

I have an old hard sided Samsonite briefcase that is perfect. It will fit several slabbed books and has pockets in the lid for your list, raw books for signatures, extra bags and boards, whatever. If you keep an eye open you can often find them at garage or estate sales for around $10 and it is well worth it.

I have an old hard sided Samsonite briefcase that is perfect. It will fit several slabbed books and has pockets in the lid for your list, raw books for signatures, extra bags and boards, whatever. If you keep an eye open you can often find them at garage or estate sales for around $10 and it is well worth it.

I remember a while back someone saying that they fitted a Priority box inside their backpack and put books into that for safekeeping. Sounded like a smart, and cost effective, idea :idea:

Since you are only going for one day, wake up early.

Bring a decent sized backpack. You will find it easier to wander around with a backpack instead of having to hold a case with one hand for hours. I have a large cardboard box with foam in my backpack.

Bring your own water. It will be cheaper than the five dollar bottles of water or whatever they charge on the convention floor. Keep your hotel room stocked with bottled water and don't buy the expensive bottled water from the hotel. There must be a Walgreen's or large chain store close by the hotel

Bring some snacks, so you don't go wander off the convention floor. Do a little research on the best places to eat before going.

Depending on what you are looking for, do a quick recon first. But remember, you snooze you lose. It is still first come first served on the convention floor.

Good comfortable walking shoes as suggested above. I always considered walking through a convention hall the third time as the death march. My flat feet are really tired by then.

Your wife is a gem! Remember this occasion, when you have an argument with your wife.

Enjoy yourself and take plenty of pictures.

I have the most comfortable pair of shoes in the world...Sanuk. Wore them to Lallapalooza two years in a row and never had a problem.

Never thought about the snacks and water, I assumed they wouldn't let you bring your own in.

I was concerned about the telescope eyepiece case because of the size, but it does have a shoulder strap.

I want to take pics, but all I have is a Nikon D50 and it is bulky to haul around. I have my iPhone, but those pics will suck. Will they even let me in with my Nikon?

Unfortunately, I thought this years guest list was a little light, not many people I want to see actually.

I want to take pics, but all I have is a Nikon D50 and it is bulky to haul around. I have my iPhone, but those pics will suck. Will they even let me in with my Nikon?

Without a doubt. I, and dozens of other boardies, take pics every year. I use my pics for my con report, as do others. It's free publicity for Wizard when people show off their pics (thumbs u

Without a doubt. I, and dozens of other boardies, take pics every year. I use my pics for my con report, as do others. It's free publicity for Wizard when people show off their pics (thumbs u

Awesome! My wife can haul around the camera...lol.

A handful of public venues do not allow you to bring in your own food. ARCO arena in Sacramento does not allow outside food nor water. AT&T Park in San Francisco allows you to bring in your own water, but must be sealed (no vodka).

I have attended SDCC many times and always brought in my own snacks and water. Get a six pack of water and take one bottle with you and leave the rest in your hotel room, which is probably close by. If they make you dump the water, then you are only out one bottle. I would think that the vendors bring in their own snacks and water. Most convention centers allow you to bring in your own snacks and water. Maybe one of the other board members can chime in here. You spend more time on the convention floor when you bring your own stuff.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself!

Bring your own snacks in!! And once you eat it and throw your bottles, you pack will lighten and you can stuff it with your loot.

I will second the recommendation about doing a quick walk-through of the entire floor making notes of where you want to go back, better make a physical note on your show floor plan (can't tell you how many times I've said: I'll go back to that booth ... and never found it again lol ); esp. if you are looking for trades. Some deals are good but then around the corner the deals are better.

Have fun!!!

Okay while you guys were coming up with great advice, I decided to do a little experiment.

Instead of the hard case, which WOULD be really bulky, I came up with this.

Took a FedEx box my wife had laying around as well as some leftover corkboard and stuck them inside a "European shoulder bag"(no manpurse here!)and voila!

There is room for slabbed books as inside the bag as well.

I won't have a lot of loot, my budget is 500-700 dollars so I won't need room for a ton of books anyway. Considering I just got the tickets last Tuesday, I did pretty good coming up with some quick cash.

I have a problem with the backpack for two reasons, I can't see what is going on back there and I'm afraid I will keep banging into people and things as I turn around.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/DSC_0002-5.jpg[/img]]Interior

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/DSC_0003-4.jpg[/img]]Comic box

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/DSC_0004-2.jpg[/img]]Comic box in case http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/dicjones/DSC_0005-1.jpg[/img]]Voila!

Don't forget to have your want list ready.

I always wear cargo shorts with special pockets for phone and money. The more pockets, the more places you have to put stuff. Remember to empty out the pockets when you get home. I put a roll of twenties through the washer.

Here is another amusing note. People always spend more than their budget. So make sure you know where the ATMs are, especially an ATM without a surcharge. Almost every attendee will use the ATM at the convention center. There are usually many other ATMs within easy walking distance.