• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Wilson

9 posts in this topic

How good is he at restoring comic books?

He has had occasionally good results, but far too many horror stories. I have heard that he has his wife help him with restoring books and that her work is very sloppy. (I don't know if this is true or not. It's just something I've heard.) I have also heard that he takes forever to get a book done. I have seen several books that he has restored and all of them were pretty lousy. On the other hand, I have occasionally heard from a collector here and there that they were happy. I've never seen a scan or a book in hand that I would have been satisfied with.

Bottom line, I would not send him a book to restore. If you have a book that needs restoring, send it to Classics Inc.

Matt Nelson is the best in the business....pressing and resto hands down. Matt Wilson Ive never heard of.

Matt Wilson has been around since about 1992. His company is (or maybe was?) Fantasy Masterpieces. The latest post on his forum is from 2004. So perhaps "was" is more accurate.

Regardless, his name and company were pretty well known for many years. I have known some who had used him and seen samples of his work. Personally, were I to have a book restored, I would look to others.

I have heard that he has his wife help him with restoring books and that her work is very sloppy. (I don't know if this is true or not. It's just something I've heard.)

Hey Scott! This is from the Fantasy Masterpiece website:

So by early 1995, I taught much of what I knew to Cheryl. Both of us were then able to take on the challenge of art restoration together. Cheryl became so good at this craft that no one was able to tell which of us had done the work. As a mother of our two children, she has had to scale back her time in the shop somewhat but still helps when I need her.

So yeah - seems what you heard is true about his wife getting involved. From the samples I have seen I tend to believe people could not tell her work from his. hm

I have heard that he has his wife help him with restoring books and that her work is very sloppy. (I don't know if this is true or not. It's just something I've heard.)

Hey Scott! This is from the Fantasy Masterpiece website:

So by early 1995, I taught much of what I knew to Cheryl. Both of us were then able to take on the challenge of art restoration together. Cheryl became so good at this craft that no one was able to tell which of us had done the work. As a mother of our two children, she has had to scale back her time in the shop somewhat but still helps when I need her.

So yeah - seems what you heard is true about his wife getting involved. From the samples I have seen I tend to believe people could not tell her work from his. hm

lol And that's NOT a good thing!