• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There are "grails".....Then there is THIS !!!!

35 posts in this topic

Eric owns the cover to Amazing Spiderman 122. That piece alone is more of a "grail" than the batman linked IMO

Let's be honest. Everyone's definition of a grail will be different, and depend on what comic really made a personal impact on them emotionally when it came out. Bane breaking Batman's back was a major event in the 90s, and would be considered a grail by those who were impressed at that time; similar to the Death of Superman cover, I would suspect.

What's interesting is that poking around Eric's CAF, if you check out his cover to Groo #1 , it is, in his own words, his "absolute holy grail." Considering the sheer volume of fantastic art he has (most of which isn't even on CAF), spanning all ages and styles, I think that speaks volumes to what one can legitimately consider a grail. I mean, who are of any of us to tell Eric that he is right or wrong as to what he considers a grail?

Eric owns the cover to Amazing Spiderman 122. That piece alone is more of a "grail" than the batman linked IMO

Let's be honest. Everyone's definition of a grail will be different, and depend on what comic really made a personal impact on them emotionally when it came out. Bane breaking Batman's back was a major event in the 90s, and would be considered a grail by those who were impressed at that time; similar to the Death of Superman cover, I would suspect.

Oh I know that it's not artistically groundbreaking and certainly not the best piece in Eric's amazing collection......There are comic books he has that are more important and valuable than this piece. But for me, it's just the bomb !!!....It's the first comic I ever read....seriously....It made me want to read comics, get into trades and the whole thing.

I was a late bloomer getting into comics. I didn't read them as a kid, couldn't care less..So, I don't have the nostalgia that others have per se, but when I see this piece, yeah, it's important.....

On my profile, it lists "Most wanted collectible"....I've had the cover to Batman 497 listed as such for at least 5 years....

Oh I know that it's not artistically groundbreaking and certainly not the best piece in Eric's amazing collection......There are comic books he has that are more important and valuable than this piece. But for me, it's just the bomb !!!....It's the first comic I ever read....seriously....It made me want to read comics, get into trades and the whole thing.

No need to justify your love for Batman #497. It may not be the be-all, end-all for everyone, but it is certainly significant enough, especially for its era, that I can easily understand why someone would have more affinity for it than some Silver Age cover, for example.

What I object to are the people who get the best piece they can afford by a certain artist and promptly call their grail quest over. I mean, a piece like that might realistically be the best thing you can personally afford (your "attainable grail", as it were), but surely it's not *the* most desirable, meaningful piece that you could ever want (your true "Holy Grail"). For example, if someone wins the Frank Miller Spider-Man/Daredevil cover in the current Heritage sale and calls it their Holy Grail, I'm simply not going to believe that, as I'm sure that person would rather have their pick of Miller's PPSS or Daredevil covers if they had the availability and resources to buy it.

Who says "the bomb" anymore?

Anyway, I agree with collectingfool and the fact that everything under the sun is considered "a grail".

Maybe people need to start saying "This is MY grail" instead?

Looking for a "grail" would be the original art to Action Comics #1. Of course it doesn't exist..that's why it would be a grail!

As mentioned... The term "grail" is losing it's initial power of awe and inspiration when others label their own possessions with such self-importance, swagger, showmanship and pride. Maybe these boards should censor that word the way they do curse words or even they way out of context words like Mr. Giordano's and Mr. Grayson's first names are blocked out, so nobody has to see that word again :)

...and people can just say "check out my awesome artwork and favorite piece" instead :)

What's interesting is that poking around Eric's CAF, if you check out his cover to Groo #1 , it is, in his own words, his "absolute holy grail." Considering the sheer volume of fantastic art he has (most of which isn't even on CAF), spanning all ages and styles, I think that speaks volumes to what one can legitimately consider a grail. I mean, who are of any of us to tell Eric that he is right or wrong as to what he considers a grail?

I love that eric considers groo 1 his favorite. that's awesome. says something about him as a collector.

Based on what I've read so far, here is how I define a grail (at this moment):

:makepoint:Absolute Holy Grail: something that is absolutely unattainable, no one knows if the OA even exists, I have a 0% chance of ever owning this (cover to Action 1)

:cloud9:Holy Grail: art that if I win the lottery and the current owner of the piece becomes completely destitute, I have a 0.1 to 1% chance at it (cover to Flash 123)

:banana:Grail: a piece I could acquire if I saved up and tempted the owner by offering 2x to 10x FMV, giving me a maximum 50% chance to own (because if I owned it, I wouldn't sell it either)

:headbang:Pseudo Grail: art that came to auction and I had to bid 2x FMV to win, 60-90% chance to own

:DNice Piece: look at what I just picked up at the convention in artist alley or from a dealers website, 100% chance to own

Based on what I've read so far, here is how I define a grail (at this moment):

:makepoint:Absolute Holy Grail: something that is absolutely unattainable, no one knows if the OA even exists, I have a 0% chance of ever owning this (cover to Action 1)

:cloud9:Holy Grail: art that if I win the lottery and the current owner of the piece becomes completely destitute, I have a 0.1 to 1% chance at it (cover to Flash 123)

:banana:Grail: a piece I could acquire if I saved up and tempted the owner by offering 2x to 10x FMV, giving me a maximum 50% chance to own (because if I owned it, I wouldn't sell it either)

:headbang:Pseudo Grail: art that came to auction and I had to bid 2x FMV to win, 60-90% chance to own

:DNice Piece: look at what I just picked up at the convention in artist alley or from a dealers website, 100% chance to own

I'f I could make just one intelligent GRAIL post, THIS WOULD BE IT (worship)

... great grading system indeed!

Only missing one

"FAIL GRAIL" - a piece that only one person, the owner (or creator) claims is a "grail" and/or someone with the motive to hype up their own piece for either attention or as a marketing ploy to increase either demand or value to sell it

Whenever the subject of 'grails' raises its head (or polls of favorite covers), a lot of people seem to opt for 1st issues of important titles. The cover art to Action # 1, for example.

I get the impression that comic-book collecting sensibilities play a major influence, here. Because the comic-book equivalent is valuable and highly sought-after, that focus seems to be applied to the OA.

Sure, Action # 1 is a landmark issue/title. But as I collect OA (and speaking personally), I'm more hip to something that carries an aesthetic or emotional impact.

As a cover image, Action # 1 doesn't do a lot for me.

Same with something like Detective # 27.

If those two covers existed, they would carry value for what they are, rather than what their merits as cover images would be.

In American comic-books, my favourite superhero title is the Amazing Spider-Man . . . and I'm a huge Ditko fan.

As an ASM 'grail', am I attracted to the cover art to Amazing Fantasy # 15 or ASM # 1?

Actually, no.

Both are very good covers, but I'm more attracted to the individual cover strengths from the Ditko run, rather than the importance of debut issue/s

My ASM 'grail' (yes, I know the term is over-used, but it's extremely difficult to limit myself to one particular title, or genre, when my interests extend beyond superhero titles) would be ASM # 18.