• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There are "grails".....Then there is THIS !!!!

35 posts in this topic

The most overused word in OA has got to be "grail"....It's used so frequently and with such pieces as a sketch or a commission or whatver someone's flavor of the week happens to be....

But, for me, with all the amazing pieces out there from some incredible talent, this has to be the GRAIL !!

I used to think that Kelly Jones owned it and would never sell it, but everything has a price...just not a price mere mortals can reach...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=634856&GSub=8848

I agree with the word "Grail" becoming sort of a "nails on a chalkboard to the ears" type term.

It's sort of overused like how children in the playground use the term "best friend" to label their friends, and gives that title to multple people - it's ever changing and used across all qualities, and shouldn't there only be "one" best, at the top?

Also, it's funny when people have self-proclaimed grails wih such grandeur. It sort of reminds me about someone recently in the news, Deion Sanders, who just entered the NFL Hall of Fame. He was known in the 1990's as "Neon Deion", "Prime Time" and so many other nicknames - - many of which were nicknames he gave himself - - to which, a lot of seasoned veterans in sports used to criticize saying, nicknames are given to a person and is somewhat earned, not made out of self-labeled hype.

To that point, rather than use the term "Grail" which has lost it's luster anyway, if people want to brag about their own piece, put it on a pedestal to shine the spotlight on their possessions, it's far greater sound when others to applaud, than to clap for yourself - and let the artwork speak for itself without a forced upon name or title.

I know it's a very subjective term with no true definition without the context (i.e. "my grail" - which may not qualify in other collectors perceptions or collections as a grail) - but, I'm just agreeing with you... yes it's an overused label.

The most overused word in OA has got to be "grail"....It's used so frequently and with such pieces as a sketch or a commission or whatver someone's flavor of the week happens to be....

But, for me, with all the amazing pieces out there from some incredible talent, this has to be the GRAIL !!

I used to think that Kelly Jones owned it and would never sell it, but everything has a price...just not a price mere mortals can reach...

One man's 'grail' is another man's 'so-so' piece of art. (shrug)

The art you provide a link to is good, but Eric has other types of art in his collection that - to me- are far more noteworthy.

To each his own.

The art you provide a link to is good, but Eric has other types of art in his collection that - to me- are far more noteworthy.

To each his own.

I agree. A memorable piece of art for those collecting comics at the time, but certainly not a 'grail'.

To each his own.

I agree. A memorable piece of art for those collecting comics at the time, but certainly not a 'grail'.

I guess it all depends on the definition of grail but I agree this bane cover is way down the list of things I would take on eric's caf.

I'm not sure this bane cover has the universal appeal one usually associates with a true grail

I never officially picked a "grail". By my definition a grail has to be the one piece you'd be happy with above all others and I just like too much stuff. Also, even though it would be almost impossible, you still need to have an outside chance at acquiring it and I just don't believe that's possible for the piece I would pick. For me it would be one of these two:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=382504&GSub=9607

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=350727&GSub=54849

As much as I love them they would still only be my "comic art" grails. There's so much other artwork in the world I like if I could only have one piece, it might not even be comic art.

Grail: the object of an extended or difficult quest

So according to this particular definition, there can be many grails.

To me though, a grail collectible is something that is very singular and iconic to your own likes and dislikes. For me something like that might be the cover of the book that featured my favorite character's first appearance, or it may be an interior page from a specific book depicting a scene that has special significance. (I own one such page in my own collection. If someone else were to see the page, they'd probably not think a whole lot about it, but for me it is practically priceless.) A grail piece could also be a commission from a particularly difficult artist, or a deceased artist. A Jack Kirby piece for instance, or maybe an Adam Hughes now that his pieces are so expensive, or what about an artist who doesn't do commissions or fan sketches, that might very well be a grail for many sketch collectors.

"Grail" to me has always meant one piece that would stand as the epitome of one's collection. As a collector, I'm not foolish enough to believe any one piece would ever satisfy that need.

P.S. I would kill you all for Eric's ASM #12 page 8 :D

Funny thing is I can see plenty of people thinking that Jones Batman cover would be their true grail. I don't know if many people would consider any of those specific Ditko Spidey pages to be their grail though. There are other very nice Ditko Spidey panels, splashes and covers out there but there is only one broken Batman cover.

There are at least two dozen grails in Eric's gallery.

Taking a closer look at his gallery, I like his taste. Wide range of interests; you can tell he knows his comics. Some of the expensive collections I see on CAF I just don't get the warm and fuzzies for but this is the sort of collection I'd enjoy building myself if I had the funds to make it happen.

This cover never gave me a hard on,This is getting attention cause Bane is in the new batman movie. I can think of a 1000 other covers I'd like to get before this one. Gee...Batman 497 or Spider-Man #1 (1990) ... hmmm lemme think... I mean it's a no brainer! No idea what this 497 cover would sell for though, that I would be interested in knowing.