• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, Which Monthly Price Guide Will Survive?

11 posts in this topic

Overstreet Price Review or Comics Buyers Guide? Both or neither? While the OPR has been upgraded, I am intrigued by the complete changeover CBG is doing, and CBG also includes a lot more articles and reviews for 26 cents less per issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overstreet Price Review or Comics Buyers Guide? Both or neither? While the OPR has been upgraded, I am intrigued by the complete changeover CBG is doing, and CBG also includes a lot more articles and reviews for 26 cents less per issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I guess the assumption here is that the Wizard is not considered to be a true price guide. You are probably going to upset a lot of Modern collectors here with that assumption. 27_laughing.gif

Can anyone answer me a question,...I just had a quick look at the monthly OSG today and I noticed that it only gives sporadic reoprts on sliver age books,....so how do you determine fair value of a 9.4 that is not in the monthly??

Can anyone answer me a question,...I just had a quick look at the monthly OSG today and I noticed that it only gives sporadic reoprts on sliver age books,....so how do you determine fair value of a 9.4 that is not in the monthly??

Maybe that's the idea...you aren't supposed to know...just spend the money, and more of it.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's the 9.2 price in the annual if raw, it's the GPA data point if slabbed.

Nah, just Darth. And I don't believe even he thinks the Wizard price guide is worth the paper it is printed on... gossip.gif

Wizard rules! sumo.gifinsane.gif Prices are valid for books I'm trying to sell tongue.gif actually since most my moderns are nm+ and up, they should actually be priced at multiples of Wizard guide (CGC 9.0 = Wizard NM) 27_laughing.gif

Wizard rules! sumo.gifinsane.gif Prices are valid for books I'm trying to sell tongue.gif actually since most my moderns are nm+ and up, they should actually be priced at multiples of Wizard guide (CGC 9.0 = Wizard NM) 27_laughing.gif

Be sure to include this tripe in your next Overstreet Advisor Market Report. tongue.gif

When they have tried to do a price guide, the CBG folks has been very unsuccessful and I don't see that changing anytime soon unless they've rounded up a slew of advisors. Their pricing has been all over the place and historically very low compared to current marketplace.

I think going monthly is a very bad idea for them. Right now they serve a unique role as the only weekly comics publication. Once they go monthly, their flaws will be amplified when compared to the other publications out there. They do a weekly pretty well all considered. Others do the same thing on a monthly basis much better.....

Jim

I always liked CBG, but ebay and dealer websites have made it redundant. That mag relied on dealer's selling ads to keep it afloat, not just for advertising but for readership (I bought CBG for this reason, and not the articles or the CGC stats I'm afraid). I remember when CBG not only had the larger format but also had 3-4 times the page count that it has now. This was of course pre - ebay etc. Now it's wafer - thin and nobody bothers to list items any more, not even J & S or Comics and Fun.

With all the competition at the moment, the switch to monthly will fail - Krause should've made the change 2 years ago before potential advertisers had the chance to go with the new OPG monthly. Without the parent mag, the CBG guide (I've rarely if ever seen a dealer use it) will falter too.